Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2005, 14:44   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Free Opera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Now who can tell me why it is called Betamax? I'm not a rich man but 50 Ackers to whoever gets it.
The "Betamax" name is said to derive from the Japanese phrase beta gaki (raw + write)

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2005, 15:00   #17

i remember as a kid having a sony C7 betamax, far superior to anything VHS that was around at the time, brilliant bit of kit, oh those where the days, might go and try buy one on ebay for nostalgia sake
dazzalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 15:32   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
The "Betamax" name is said to derive from the Japanese phrase beta gaki (raw + write)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Sony's ßetamax is the 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) home videocassette tape recording format derived from the earlier, professional 19.1 mm (0.75 inch) U-matic video cassette format. Like the video home recording system VHS introduced by JVC in 1976, it had no guard band, and used azimuth recording to reduce cross-talk. The "Betamax" name is said to derive from the Japanese phrase beta gaki (raw + write), however, as a pun, the designed trademark incorporated the Greek letter "beta"; Sanyo marketed its version as the "Betacord", but it, too, was referred to as "Beta". As well as Sony and Sanyo, Betamax video recorders were also sold by Toshiba, Pioneer, Aiwa and NEC. The Zenith Electronics Corporation and WEGA Corporations contracted with Sony to produce VCRs for their product lines. [Department Stores like Sears in the US and Quelle in Germany sold Beta format VCRs under their house brands as did the Radio Shack chain of electronic stores. Sony introduced the Betamax home video system in 1975. The format failed to gain significant market share and was nearly completely replaced by VHS.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 15:34   #19
God Member

Quote:
No not the singing variety. Some of you may be aware of the alternative browser Opera. Up to now it was free if you put up with an ad banner in it. Well, now they have decided to put it out as freeware with no ads.

Download from here http://www.opera.com

Why not give it a go , its like Firefox in that it supports tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, better security etc.

Fill your boots!

Ian

Had it for a while now and has the best bits of Mozzilla based browsers and IE. And you can make it very colourful for the kids.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 12:01   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
That's where I found it, but I just kept the relevant bit and left out the rest!

Old 23-09-2005, 13:11   #21
God Member

Now the story I got was different. There is a type of Japanese writing called Beta. this involvees filling the brush with ink to almost overflowing. The writing is very bold and full bodied. If you look at the way information is put to tape, it is layed down in diagonal stripes. On VHS there is a diagonal band of 'space' between each stripe of information. On Betamax that band is almost non existant. hence the tape is 'full' of 'ink'. This came from one of the Jap development engineers that came to a trade show back in the mid 80's. He was a very interesting guy to chat to. We got more info on what was coming out for the next 3/4 years from him in 10 minutes than the rep could tell us for the next 18 months! We knew about the initial devlopment of Hi8 4 years before it hit the market.

I'll give the Ackers to Vorlon purely for knowing how to use WikiPedia

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 21:57   #22
Senior Member+

Duly banked - cheers Ian!

Old 31-10-2005, 18:13   #23
God Member

Quote:
Now who can tell me why it is called Betamax? I'm not a rich man but 50 Ackers to whoever gets it.

The "Betamax" name is said to derive from the Japanese phrase beta gaki (raw + write), however, as a pun, the designed trademark incorporated the Greek letter "beta";

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 14:23   #24
God Member

I think firefox is more popular than a lot of peole will admit. however opera doesn't crash, seems more stable, and loads wap pages without an extension.
I sometimes use the old opera 6.06 which has pages in pages as well as tabbed browsing.
Firefox is still incompatible with many sites, esp banking sites hsbc and nationwide for example, I don't know if opera is as I just revert back to IE by right clicking in firefox and clicking open in IE.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 09:16   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Thats the problem willow... they have been trying to make people aware for over 10 years.. it simply doesnt work.. Poeple ahve no idea why they would want a different browser when IE works (in there eyes) .. advertising, word of mouth.. nothing works... they get a new PC and its internet ready... they dont understand the concept of download or install... by the time they do they are already happy with IE.

Believe me Opera, netscape and firefox have all tried.. obviously.... But even Netscape who tried for years never got more than 10% of the market...

Having firefox or whatever installed on the PC when you buy it and the choice... thats the only way... the www is now what..13-14 yrs old I cant remember exactly.. and ever since IE came with PC it has been the driving force.... because it comes pre installed.. simple as that..
Firefox has more han 10% of the market share at current.
Old 26-03-2006, 15:32   #26
Resting in Peace

Hey, hey, hey ... just done this and guess WHAT !! You know I was not getting the Avatars to move, well they have suddenly arisen from the dead ... sooooo excited .. am going to spend the next hour looking at everybody's now to see what I have been missing ... mmmm some I may not wish to know about that have been sent me

Is a little jerky though when changing pages.

Last edited by katex; 26-03-2006 at 15:54. Reason: delete missing word that was there in the first editing
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 03:53   #27

Course you can get on the internet without browser or ISP.. but usually with Windows installed..cos Win has the browser already on, then you can connect(with dail up) from connect wizard and choose your ISP
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 13:14   #28
God Member

you still need an isp though driller although you don't need a browser, you can use windows browser. Not very sensible to do that though nowdays with all these loons out there.

Katex Thats the first thing I noticed and it put me of for a while but you do get used to it.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 13:25   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Firefox has more han 10% of the market share at current.
I wrote 10% in September 2005 and you reply in March 06 saying its more than 10% .. well waddaya know.. of course its more than 10% 6 months later!!!!!

But it aint much more and never will be until it comes pre installed with the computer you buy.
Old 28-03-2006, 13:42   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
you still need an isp though driller although you don't need a browser, you can use windows browser. Not very sensible to do that though nowdays with all these loons out there.
technically you don't need a browser at all(Windows 'browser' uses IE as its rendering engine), you can telnet to the httpserver and use a get command to retrieve raw html code. or you can use many other tools (wget for example). Then there are all the command line browsers (Lynx etc)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..