Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2006, 13:50   #31
God Member

Re: Free Opera!

then there are command line browsers? arnt they browsers?

i started life using Lynx and made my first website for that... atari st half meg of memory and 720k disk drive (no HD) use a shell account for news and email then when the www appeared used Lynx .. all that on half meg of memory and a disk haha and I was recently asked if a celeron this that and the other.. 20gig hd and hundreds of megs of memory would be enough to get onto the internet ... hahaha oh dear i ressisted the temptation to tell them no...
Old 28-03-2006, 13:56   #32
God Member

I know what you mean Kipax but lets be honest, put a modern user in front of lynx and they would have a heart attack!

Yes its a browser but not in the sense of the word that people today would recognise.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 14:00   #33
God Member

Take away all there pretty buttons and colours and they will think the world has ended thig is.. even home computer users where aware of DOS and setting up sound cards for games etc... they dont even have to do that now ..

Saying that.. I had a belly full of shell accounts, command lines and two colour screens... I have to use ssh a lot for work and crave a few buttons and mouse
Old 28-03-2006, 14:02   #34
Senior Member+

I think your all talking jibberish!!!
Old 28-03-2006, 14:04   #35
God Member

Ian looks at the 16 SSH shells he has currently open

You do get used to it and as you know, its much more powerful

Old 28-03-2006, 14:33   #36
God Member

16 then there on your own internal system yes? I have various ssh accounts but couldnt envisage needing them all at once.. mebbe a couple ... if watching live error logs

i aint a sys admin and only use ssh to get down to nitty gritty problems or handle stuff like mysql that are too big for phpadmin to work on. some other bits but using less and less now thank goodness.

nowerdays I have to have my static IP as a lot of sys admins wont let you ssh in otherwise.. so i pay the couple of quid extra for static
Old 28-03-2006, 14:34   #37
God Member

Ian I bet you go to the linux meetings eh?
Old 28-03-2006, 15:06   #38
God Member

16 is quite low amount tbh, We have 8 build/test enviroments across ~30 boxes with multiple workloads(partitions) on each each with virtual IPs I can be working on most of these at the same time. If things are going pear shaped then it gets rather crazy.

PS, I haven't managed a meet yet

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..