Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Area around Stag Pub (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/area-around-stag-pub-5395.html)

Doug 24-09-2004 16:45

Re: Area around Stag Pub

I'd say more 12th century King and Queen looking......

Acrylic-bob 24-09-2004 16:48

19th century Gothic revival.

pendy 24-09-2004 16:50

Could it be King Oswald, founder of Church Kirk and his missus? - not that anyone would know what they looked like.

Doug - hadn't we been burning Catholics for quite a long time by 1648? NOT an encouragement to hang about in monkish robes, surely?

WillowTheWhisp 24-09-2004 16:50

I agree about the King & Queen looking. Wonder who they are meant to be.

staggeringman 24-09-2004 16:51

now its back on track and doug has sorted his attachments out,i am half way through mist over pendle(good book) based on the lancashire witches.they had clergymen and they also had DOUAI`which means seminary who preached sedition in (plain english he was a priest)now at that time in the 17th century they hung,drawn and quarted priests his name was john southworth which is a popular name around lancashire.As i have told you only half way through, i am summising the two heads at the front of the church could be from priests caught in this area?

WillowTheWhisp 24-09-2004 16:53

ooh lol I was typing that just as you posted Pendy.

pendy 24-09-2004 16:56

The Southworth family lived at Salmesbury Hall between Blackburn and Preston. I think it is John Southworth who is now a Catholic saint (or is it Christopher?). The family more or less died out because all the sons went to be priests, and came to sticky ends. Bit of a wander, but information anyway.

If you liked Mist over Pendle, try Harrison Ainsworth's book "The Lancashire Witches" - same period, same people, different slant entirely

Doug 24-09-2004 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy
Doug - hadn't we been burning Catholics for quite a long time by 1648? NOT an encouragement to hang about in monkish robes, surely?

Never head of Priest Holes. hehehehe. I'm not going to enter a religious argument about burning our Catholic friends. But they did miss a few. I know, I married one once…..

pendy 24-09-2004 16:59

Don't mind me, my godmother dragged me off and had me baptised a Catholic - nobody asked me, so I exercised my choice when I was older. Never worried enough about religion to burn for it.

Wouldn't Church Kirk have had a vicar by then, probably a puritan one as well, since Old Noll was not keen on any form of showy stuff?

staggeringman 24-09-2004 17:00

r
Quote:

The Southworth family lived at Salmesbury Hall between Blackburn and Preston. I think it is John Southworth who is now a Catholic saint (or is it Christopher?). The family more or less died out because all the sons went to be priests, and came to sticky ends. Bit of a wander, but information anyway.

If you liked Mist over Pendle, try Harrison Ainsworth's book "The Lancashire Witches" - same period, same people, different slant entirely

:drink:read that one first, thats the one that has all the dialect in isnt it.

Bazf 24-09-2004 17:02

I know that the ghost story about the white lady at Salmesbury hall was supposed to be John Southworths daughter who died in mysterious circumstances.

pendy 24-09-2004 17:04

If John Southworth was a priest, he had no business having a daughter! That said, there were probably quite a few John Southworths, they weren't very original with names in those days. There is supposed to be a white lady, but don't know the story, except that she is supposed to wander out onto the Preston road and terrify motorists!

staggeringman 24-09-2004 17:04

Quote:

Don't mind me, my godmother dragged me off and had me baptised a Catholic - nobody asked me, so I exercised my choice when I was older. Never worried enough about religion to burn for it.

Wouldn't Church Kirk have had a vicar by then, probably a puritan one as well, since Old Noll was not keen on any form of showy stuff?

:drink:i think im a catholic......cus im alwayssss...in church DRINKING:beer58:

Tealeaf 24-09-2004 17:17

If you want a good read on this, then click on here:

http://rishton.es6.net/web/History/M.../ponthalgh.htm

This is from the Rishton website, which is very good, but mainly historical. Anyway, I'm sure they won't mind the link, considering as this bit's all about Church, anyway.

staggeringman 24-09-2004 17:50

good reading tealeaf does the church not sell a little blue bookthat contains all that information?