Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Area around Stag Pub (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/area-around-stag-pub-5395.html)

pendy 27-09-2004 17:11

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Great idea - I am sure we can put quite a lot of spirits to rest! - I will single-handedly account for quite a number. Should I bring my broomstick, in order to sweep all before me?

mez 27-09-2004 17:13

can i come toooo i need a perm in my hair he he h e, plus i like the thoughts of all that spirit in one place :D

staggeringman 27-09-2004 17:17

:surprise:last one for tonight...laid in bed at about 2.30am the wife checked the kids and got in bed,after about an hour i heard foot steps outside the door and when it reached directly our door the floor board creaks louder.This happened about six times..then the wife said thinking i was asleep..did you here that? I still pretended to be asleep she got out of bed put her dressing gown on and went to investigate,after a couple of minutes she came back,Me i jumped up and said whats the matter she said who shut all the doors behind me i said it wasnt me..I was asleep ....iwasnt really but i didnt shut the doors either....and before anyone tells her i was awake ,I confessed the day after.:drink:

Doug 27-09-2004 19:09

I take it that the wife is the brave one then?.

WillowTheWhisp 27-09-2004 20:59

Isn't that normal Doug?

Doug 27-09-2004 21:10

Nope................. What are you suggesting Willow. lol. I'm sure you’re a strong and self determined woman. But would you cope under the influence of spirits

WillowTheWhisp 27-09-2004 21:16

I'm never under the influence of spirits - lol - I don't drink. I can tell you one thing, you wouldn't get me on my own in a haunted cellar at night. I spent my honeymoon in a haunted cottage and that was bad enough.

Acrylic-bob 27-09-2004 21:21

Won't spending a night in a cellar be pretty cold and uncomfortable, spirits not withstanding?

Doug 27-09-2004 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm never under the influence of spirits - lol - I don't drink. I can tell you one thing, you wouldn't get me on my own in a haunted cellar at night. I spent my honeymoon in a haunted cottage and that was bad enough.

There is just no answer to that, but I'm trying to think of one.....

littlemo 28-09-2004 13:12

I read somewhere that centuries ago when a new pub ws built, there was also a person laid to rest in the foundations for good luck. often these people died or where killed while the pub was being built. hence all the cellers where full of spirits!!!

I wonder if this is where the double meaning of spirits comes from?

Doug 28-09-2004 13:38

Do you have a close association with spirits littlemo? just wondered that's all. I think that as late as the 18 century there was still a custom that people laid coins, small dead furry animals or the odd moggy as a tribute to the old ways (Gods & Goddesses) and or to appease the land. Some early cultures like the Celts and even the Romans would stuff the body of a dead child into the foundations of an important building or Temple. I’m not sure that we as a culture stuck bodies of dead people in to the foundations of our pubs and ale houses. Most people who had normal deaths would be laid to rest in consecrated Ground. Highwaymen (Pub Landlords), witches and executed prisoners would be an exception to that, but would doubt they found there way into the foundations of the pub, possible exception their for landlords mind. lol

WillowTheWhisp 28-09-2004 14:04

It sounds like a distinct leg pull to me littlemo

pendy 28-09-2004 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Won't spending a night in a cellar be pretty cold and uncomfortable, spirits not withstanding?

A lot depends on how many spirits, and how close we huddle together. You could always try thermal underwear, also woolly hat and gloves, thick socks, etc. Could still be a bit chilly in mid-Winter - perhaps this is one for Summer? but count me in anyway, I'll make a special trip. According to my other half, I could certainly nag them into submission ....
(foul calumny, of course).

pendy 28-09-2004 14:13

Forgot to mention - didn't they put a dead pig's leg in barrels of cider to give it body (no pun intended)?

Perhaps the Stag is haunted by ghost pigs looking for their legs? Staggering Man - did the footsteps sound as though it was limping?

staggeringman 28-09-2004 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy
Forgot to mention - didn't they put a dead pig's leg in barrels of cider to give it body (no pun intended)?

Perhaps the Stag is haunted by ghost pigs looking for their legs? Staggering Man - did the footsteps sound as though it was limping?

:drink:if its little ghosty pigs i am looking for ,they better watch it...im after there bacon.