Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32   #16

Re: Alongside the canal.

Its a while since I walked on the cut bank, but I seem to remember the mile stones,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54   #17
Senior Member+

Do you know anything about a coke loading gantry over the canal? From the little I can remember being told it was situated some where behind the Moorfield Colliery/Coke works and was like a bridge where coke was tipped into barges.

I have tried to find it on Google maps but all I can see is a structure for carrying pipes over the water, is that the bridge which has been utilized by the water comapny.
Old 03-08-2011, 17:20   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Do you know anything about a coke loading gantry over the canal? From the little I can remember being told it was situated some where behind the Moorfield Colliery/Coke works and was like a bridge where coke was tipped into barges.

I have tried to find it on Google maps but all I can see is a structure for carrying pipes over the water, is that the bridge which has been utilized by the water comapny.
I dont know about the coke gantry but the pipes you mention are part of the thirlmere pipeline which takes water from the lakes to manchester.(I used to work on the canal did 11 years worked everywhere from greenberfield to liverpool stanley flight)
Old 03-08-2011, 17:57   #19
Resting in Peace

Was being a bit thick with a question.. sorry.

Last edited by katex; 03-08-2011 at 18:01.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 18:26   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Was being a bit thick with a question.. sorry.
Sorry, about above .. was asking if the gantry would have shown in the sketches of the disaster but, of course, would have been built later.

Nevertheless, would it have shown up in this image, Gremlin ?

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item
Old 03-08-2011, 18:30   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I dont know about the coke gantry but the pipes you mention are part of the thirlmere pipeline which takes water from the lakes to manchester.(I used to work on the canal did 11 years worked everywhere from greenberfield to liverpool stanley flight)

The coke ovens had been closed when I moved to Accrington, I got a job for a short while driving a tipper for Gilmartin, they had the yard where Greyhound car body repairs is now next to the old Moorfield pit, that was also closed before 1966.
There was hundreds of tons of coal which should have been made into coke and we had the job of taking it to Bank Hall, there it was loaded into railway trucks and taken to Padiham Power station. We actually passed the prower station on the way to Bank Hall.
It was during that time that one of the NCB chaps told me about the coke loading bridge but I never got to see it, maybe the pipe bridge replaced it.

Maybe some one will know.
Old 03-08-2011, 20:01   #22

oy clever trousers father couldnt tell what blue disc was either! Cant remember who was involved with that. Dont remember it being prospects though. There is another plaque to go up at the other bridge but rennie pinder's being a bitch - seems to think he owns altham & can dictate what goes where & by who. When we did walk about with BWW we saw a few markers - metal & stone & all in need of renovation plus lots of stone walling vandalised but that's a massive & v expensive job to do. Have it in mind to paint the markers & anchor thingies

Last edited by dusty mears; 03-08-2011 at 20:03. Reason: father
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 22:06   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
oy clever trousers father couldnt tell what blue disc was either! Cant remember who was involved with that. Dont remember it being prospects though. There is another plaque to go up at the other bridge but rennie pinder's being a bitch - seems to think he owns altham & can dictate what goes where & by who. When we did walk about with BWW we saw a few markers - metal & stone & all in need of renovation plus lots of stone walling vandalised but that's a massive & v expensive job to do. Have it in mind to paint the markers & anchor thingies
Smarty pants, this is what I was refering to.

So what what you bitching about, any more, and you'l get my belt, where it hurts.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 22:22   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Smarty pants, this is what I was refering to.

So what what you bitching about, any more, and you'l get my belt, where it hurts.
Retlaw.
Hahah ...love her.. chip of the old block, eh Retlaw.

This is the full picture of the site plus some pictures of a sort of stone circle ... what did these hold ? Did these have some sort of anchor ring within them ?

Clayton plus 033.jpg
Clayton plus 031.jpg
Clayton plus 034.jpg
Clayton plus 032.jpg
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30   #25

So this is on Con Club side of the canal, there was a ramp going down to the path, am I right.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
So this is on Con Club side of the canal, there was a ramp going down to the path, am I right.
No, on the opposite bank.

'Course I confused you ... got the wrong bridge to start with It is near the other bridge going over Blackburn Road, moving towards Altham .. just past that first old building.
Old 09-08-2011, 22:43   #27

after consultation with superior knowledgeable locals, it's thought the blue plaque was something to do wi prospects & stone plinth type thingie - was a seat til vandalised
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58   #28

Right Im with you Kate, when I was a boy there were wooden rollers fix to the bridge to guied the ropes thru, from the ground to the bridge roof. They call it the Enfield Wharf. Thats where we used to get the barge to Rishton.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:17   #29

Just found this, by gum, that brings back memories, But where the trees are, that was the Taywils factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ll983.jpg (86.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 17:02   #30
Senior Member+

Planning has recently been passed for housing on the offside (opposite side to towpath) next to hyndburn seacadets.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..