Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 20:39   #1
Resting in Peace

Alongside the canal.

This is on the canal at the Clayton Bridge (next to Albion) going towards Altham. Has been some sort of plaque there at one time. Anyone know ?

Clayton plus 006.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2011, 20:44   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Alongside the canal.

I remember that one.

It said 'No plaques here.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 20:50   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I remember that one.

It said 'No plaques here.'

One of your better attempts at mirth .. love it .. x
Old 02-08-2011, 20:50   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Perhaps was mileage Leeds @ Liverpool?
Old 02-08-2011, 21:06   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps was mileage Leeds @ Liverpool?
Maybe, sorry .. not giving you an idea of size, is it. Probably about 3'6" in length. (Guess, as she holds her arms outstretched)

Last edited by katex; 02-08-2011 at 21:11.
Old 02-08-2011, 21:17   #6

was down there myself recently with clayton prospects group having assessment of canal with british waterways. we spoke bout this but cant remember what now. Would need to consult cllr collingridge or another of the gang
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 21:25   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
was down there myself recently with clayton prospects group having assessment of canal with british waterways. we spoke bout this but cant remember what now. Would need to consult cllr collingridge or another of the gang
Thanks Dusty .. thought you might turn up .. noticed the work you had been doing down there.

Was this you too ?

Clayton plus 007.jpg
Old 02-08-2011, 22:05   #8

tnanks. dont know as cant get photo to enlarge - accessing via mobile.. we try our best. Are still waiting feedback from bww after ? weeks as to what reno they can do / would support panel with. Do i know you ?
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 22:27   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
tnanks. dont know as cant get photo to enlarge - accessing via mobile.. we try our best. Are still waiting feedback from bww after ? weeks as to what reno they can do / would support panel with. Do i know you ?
Everbody knows Medusa. She uses the canal as a reference point, when she's flying home on her broomstick
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-08-2011 at 22:30. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 22:31   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Its a Moorfield Colliery Memorial Plaque Dusty,if that helps.
Old 02-08-2011, 22:38   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its a Moorfield Colliery Memorial Plaque Dusty,if that helps.
They are on about that big block of stone, not that blue plaque, you daft old bat
There are loads of them along canals they usually record mileage between various known places.
There used to be some on old country lanes as well, showing how many miles to the next town or village.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 22:42   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No, never met you, Dusty .. just gather you are daughter of Lurch down here .. LOL..vvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Everbody knows Medusa. She uses the canal as a reference point, when she's flying home on her broomstick
Retlaw.
Correct. Sat. nav hasn't caught up with broomstick technology unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2011, 00:51   #13

Try this towpathtreks.co.uk click on to Blackburn to Burnley, it does'nt give the one Kate shown, but shows others & links. Many happy memories of cadging a lift on a barge at Clayton, trowing our bikes on, going to rishton, and biking home.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03   #14
Senior Member+

The stone wont be an original mileage marker , the original ones are usually made from cast iron and are triangular in shape and aprrox 3ft high for mile markers and about 18 inches high for half mile and quarter mile markers.Its more likely to be something to mark the place of a bench or work done by prospects or the council , and if the plaque was metal the gypsies have probably had it away

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2011 at 07:20. Reason: *'s
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07   #15
Senior Member+

I feel sure that Mike Clarke, who wrote the history of the L&L Canal will know - Google the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society for his E-address.He is chairman. He lives in Barnoldswick now. A lad who comes on this site may well know to, as he is a Claytoner - Alan Gilmartin.
I think it is the wrong shape for a mileage post, which were of uniform size & shape.
It may be similar to one further along, just inside Yortkshire I think, which says "ON THIS SPOT IN 1795,NOTHING HAPPENED'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..