Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 20:28   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Alongside the canal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Planning has recently been passed for housing on the offside (opposite side to towpath) next to hyndburn seacadets.
Along with a mobile mast.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37   #32

No doubt, Cashy no doubt,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 19:33   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Planning has recently been passed for housing on the offside (opposite side to towpath) next to hyndburn seacadets.
Indeed, Walkinman .. this was it :

Case File

Looks like things could be moving .. demolition request :

Case File
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Right Im with you Kate, when I was a boy there were wooden rollers fix to the bridge to guied the ropes thru, from the ground to the bridge roof. They call it the Enfield Wharf. Thats where we used to get the barge to Rishton.
Just realised this week that bridge is called Enfield Canal Bridge ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 22:24   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Indeed, Walkinman .. this was it :

Case File

Looks like things could be moving .. demolition request :

Case File

Just realised this week that bridge is called Enfield Canal Bridge ...
Yea thats right kate it is also a change line bridge where the towpath swaps sides ,the next one is at the end of st james road at church just past the half way point of the Leeds Liverpool canal
Old 20-09-2011, 21:40   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
was down there myself recently with clayton prospects group having assessment of canal with british waterways. we spoke bout this but cant remember what now. Would need to consult cllr collingridge or another of the gang
Speaking to Nick Collingridge today and, seemingly, the plaque that was in there (got nicked) was depicting the half way point between Liverpool and Leeds. Wouldn't apply now as they extended the canal slightly at the Liverpool end.

The stone circles were just decorative as they tried to make a little garden area. Unfortunately, got vandalised and became a hangout for our less socially communicative residents of Clayton..
Old 20-09-2011, 21:44   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yea thats right kate it is also a change line bridge where the towpath swaps sides ,the next one is at the end of st james road at church just past the half way point of the Leeds Liverpool canal
So is this the new half way point then ?

The canal changed sides because the Dunkenhalgh people didn't want us commoners walking near their land...

Last edited by katex; 20-09-2011 at 21:48.
Old 21-09-2011, 17:34   #37
JCB

Quote:
So is this the new half way point then ?

The canal changed sides because the Dunkenhalgh people didn't want us commoners walking near their land...
Quite right too .

This photo is of the wall next to the canal approaching Church , but I'm unsure whether it marks the half way point .

Sorry I can't be more definite .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 309.jpg (520.7 KB, 15 views)
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 18:07   #38
God Member

Can't you lot get anything right?

The old half way point is clearly marked on the towpath running behind St James's Church, Church Kirk.

I don't know if new signage has gone up to mark the new half way point, but given that the South Dock extension in Liverpool is just under one and a half miles long, then by my calculation that new point is somewhere near where the railway crosses the canal, next to Blythes.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 18:37   #39
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Occasionally .
Old 21-09-2011, 19:12   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

The old half way point is clearly marked on the towpath running behind St James's Church, Church Kirk.

I don't know if new signage has gone up to mark the new half way point, but given that the South Dock extension in Liverpool is just under one and a half miles long, then by my calculation that new point is somewhere near where the railway crosses the canal, next to Blythes.

Mmmm.. can only go by what I was told, Tealeaf. Willing to listen to alternative views. Further investigation required methinks.
Old 21-09-2011, 19:27   #41
JCB

Quote:
Mmmm.. can only go by what I was told, Tealeaf. Willing to listen to alternative views. Further investigation required methinks.
Haven't you a long tape-measure ?
Old 21-09-2011, 19:30   #42
Resting in Peace

This is interesting, stating in Clayton-le-Moors, whereby the second link is in Church:

Clayton-le-Moors - Village in Clayton-le-Moors - Visit Lancashire

'Coincidentally, the half-way point of the Leeds Liverpool canal is in Clayton-le-Moors.'

Can't find a date for this.

Halfway Point on the Leeds/Liverpool Canal:: OS grid SD7429 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!
Old 21-09-2011, 19:31   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Haven't you a long tape-measure ?
Daft sod.
Old 21-09-2011, 19:55   #44
JCB

Quote:
Daft sod.
Ouch !
Old 21-09-2011, 20:21   #45
Senior Member+

The half way point of the l&l has been a point of dispute for some time , the l&l incorporates the rufford branch and the leigh branch as well as the main line l&l so including these two arms the canal is 147 miles long with the main line being 127 miles long so depending on which measurement you use depends where the half way point is, the half way point was marked aout 8-9 years ago near the bottom of the donkey back at church i put the lattice metal panels in and i think prospects did the setts and metal pole in the towpath to mark half way. The picture above from jcb post is a mural done about 3-4 years ago just on the west side of simpsons bridge near what us canal workers called the big turn at church the turn is so wide because originally the canal was supposed to go into Accrington on this route

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..