Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2010, 12:55   #16
God Member

Re: Arden Pub

yeah Benny, thought so
Old 15-08-2010, 15:14   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
The photo shows a chimney on the side elevation - but it has no pots, so maybe it's been blocked up? From memory the flue was on the left of the fireplace as you looked out of the window - which would make sense. Has anyone seen another fireplace under a window?
I'll have a look next time i go in Dave. I usually see Jack Pearson most weeks around town, he used to be the Landlord there in the 70's so when i see him i'll ask what he remembers. I know when he had it, the pub was divided up into several rooms, with another entrance on that side elevation, which as you can see was blocked up many years ago!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 16:36   #18
Junior Member+

I go in the Arden on a Friday night. Yes,it is now a busy pub.

After the old troughings fell down a few months ago,new ones have been fitted.New paint work outside has been done.Now black from a maroon colour.
Following this new signs in gold saying 'Arden' have been added.
Because of this it seems unlikely that it will have it's original name of the 'Flying Dutchman'
gbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:42   #19
God Member

What about calling it 'The Flying Arden'?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:48   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbell View Post
I go in the Arden on a Friday night. Yes,it is now a busy pub.

After the old troughings fell down a few months ago,new ones have been fitted.New paint work outside has been done.Now black from a maroon colour.
Following this new signs in gold saying 'Arden' have been added.
Because of this it seems unlikely that it will have it's original name of the 'Flying Dutchman'
Maybe the Flying pig aye G
Old 15-08-2010, 19:10   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Maybe the Flying pig aye G
What about the 'Flying Hard-On'?

Whoops....where's Neil and the rest of the monitors to delete this post? They've already done about 6 of mine today?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 09:42   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What about the 'Flying Hard-On'?

Whoops....where's Neil and the rest of the monitors to delete this post? They've already done about 6 of mine today?
6 you should be so lucky
Old 16-08-2010, 12:23   #23
Senior Member+

I saw Jack Pearson this Morning and he said that there was indeed a Working Fireplace under the Window in the front bar, the flue did slope off to the left! I'm not sure if its blocked off now, but if i go in soon i'll check.

Regarding the name change, he hadn't heard anything as yet, but the name has been taken down at the moment, and as i said, my friend went in there last Friday and asked about this, and was told they are changing the name. Yet strangely the Arden Inn sign on the side elevation has been painted Black at the same time as the other paintwork so not sure why they would have painted this, if it was going to be replaced.

If i get chance to pop in on Saturday before i go to The Sydney Street club i will, but there's a really good "Turn" on so i might go early to the club!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..