Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 12:26   #1
Senior Member+

Arden Pub

Hi I have mentioned this pub very recently when I spotted two young lads re-painting. (and making an excellent job of it too).

Now I have heard they intend to revert back to the old name of THE FLYING DUTCHMAN.

If this is so, may I ask ................ WHY?

I think some of our members frequent this pub, anyone know the reason for the possible name change?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ardenoldview.jpg (124.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Arden.JPG (197.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg The Arden Pub 12th August 2010.jpg (358.4 KB, 39 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2010, 13:00   #2
God Member

Re: Arden Pub

Well, the Flying Dutchman is/was a ghost ship, deemed to sail the seven seas for eternity. Maybe the Arden will be a ghost pub, where spirits will be found other than on the top shelf and lost souls will prop up the bar contemplating loudly the meaning of life while the wailing banshee (aka the barmaid) tells 'em to sup up and get out.

Not much different, then, than most pubs in Accy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 13:09   #3
Senior Member+

Nice one Tealeaf!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_..._the_Caribbean)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:12   #4

I think I've supped in the Arden - is it the one that (oddly) has a working fireplace under a window ? (The ground floor window on the side elevation below the pub name I believe.)

I can't remember it being called The Flying Dutchman - when was that?
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:21   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
I think I've supped in the Arden - is it the one that (oddly) has a working fireplace under a window ? (The ground floor window on the side elevation below the pub name I believe.)

Thats because it was back in 1869 & only for a brief period.
The real Flying Dutchman was at 34 Bank St, it was later used by Daltons Printers before they moved to Hyndburn Rd.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:25   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi I have mentioned this pub very recently when I spotted two young lads re-painting. (and making an excellent job of it too).

Now I have heard they intend to revert back to the old name of THE FLYING DUTCHMAN.

I think some of our members frequent this pub, anyone know the reason for the possible name change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The real Flying Dutchman was at 34 Bank St, it was later used by Daltons Printers before they moved to Hyndburn Rd.

Retlaw.
Seems a bit daft to change the name, if thats the case?
Old 12-08-2010, 14:42   #7
God Member

I can't understand it, either. Publicans have a very good argument about the need to crack down on unfair competition from supermarkets. Why then, spend silly money on changing the name of a pub? An expensive rebranding exercise may well be suitable for a chocolate bar, but not a local boozer.

About ten years ago they changed the name of the Tanpits pub in Church to the Plough. It may well have been done to avoid confusion with the Tanpits Club but in the end it did neither of 'em any good because they are both now permanently shut.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 18:01   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Retlaw.
I think some of you may remember there was a thread on the Arden Inn not long ago, when 1/2 of Accy Webbers were calling in to look at a picture,
Dob Bodson have a lot to say on the subject.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 20:04   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post

They do have a modern but old style looking fire within the fireplace but its not under the window its in the room to the left of the bar as soon as you go in. They used to have one in the darts room too, with the board over it, but think thats blocked in now....its a bit since i was in, might pop in next Sat before i go Syndey Street!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 09:31   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I can't understand it, either. Publicans have a very good argument about the need to crack down on unfair competition from supermarkets. Why then, spend silly money on changing the name of a pub? An expensive rebranding exercise may well be suitable for a chocolate bar, but not a local boozer.

About ten years ago they changed the name of the Tanpits pub in Church to the Plough. It may well have been done to avoid confusion with the Tanpits Club but in the end it did neither of 'em any good because they are both now permanently shut.
Have to agree with you on that one Tealeaf, they did it with the Hargreaves Arms too, why. Every pub has its regulars, and I know if the were changing the name of my local I wouldn't be to happy
Old 13-08-2010, 10:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
They do have a modern but old style looking fire within the fireplace but its not under the window its in the room to the left of the bar as soon as you go in. They used to have one in the darts room too, with the board over it, but think thats blocked in now....its a bit since i was in, might pop in next Sat before i go Syndey Street!

Best Regards - Taggy
The photo shows a chimney on the side elevation - but it has no pots, so maybe it's been blocked up? From memory the flue was on the left of the fireplace as you looked out of the window - which would make sense. Has anyone seen another fireplace under a window?

Last edited by davebtelford; 13-08-2010 at 10:19.
Old 14-08-2010, 21:12   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

You are correct Atarah...my friend called in there last night and asked, and indeed they are changing the name!...I really dont see the point..but seems to be the thing to do these days...but why at the Arden?...its not like it has a bad reputation that a name change might help with, the pubs always been a pretty decent boozer really!...I must admit though, the current landlord does seem to be making an effort, and breathing some new life into the pub..but the same can be said for at least the last 3 or 4 landlords there that i know of...things look promissing in the early stages only for custom to die off a bit later...hopefully not the case this time!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 15-08-2010, 09:03   #13

Maybe if they opened up that fireplace & promoted it as a feature ??????
Old 15-08-2010, 09:34   #14
God Member

has Ste Bentham still got the Arden?
Old 15-08-2010, 11:42   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
has Ste Bentham still got the Arden?
If he's the chap that used to be at The Crown (Benny) then yes!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..