Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2014, 15:29   #136
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post
Do you remember Harry Watson? Do you have any pictures of the Home Guard?.
The guy aint posted fer nearly 3 years, better off sending a PM n hoping mate.
Old 30-11-2014, 15:44   #137
Junior Member+

Oh! damn, he was probably my last chance. Cheers.
Soloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:35   #138
Junior Member+

Here is a cutting taken from a newspapers which I've come across.
William Whalley was my Dad, he died in 1968 age 53. Not a long innings as they would say in Cricket. He worked at H&B all his live, loved Cricket and Football.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img013.jpg (340.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (206.0 KB, 44 views)
vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:26   #139

My Grandfather Albert (Dick) Swain worked as the Manager of the moulding dept. he retired approx. 1947. He originally came from Birmingham but moved to Accrington approx. 1910 because of his knowledge of moulding cast steel.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 17:14   #140

A funny Story on H&B:
It must have been 1963-64. The Landlord Ted of the Junction Inn (directly across the road from the then public baths), asked a friend and myself if we could look after the pub between 11:00 and 13:00 on Saturday, as his Daughter was getting married at the nearby St. James’s church. As we were regulars and used to working behind bars (Blockade, Black Abbey), we were only too pleased to help out.
Ted had been working on a buffet all morning and by 11:00 it was all finished ready for the wedding party and guests to arrive. He then covered the buffet with spotlessly white table cloths.
At 12:00 workers who had been working (overtime) on Saturday morning started to turn up and were ordering pints of beer. From the bar through to the private rooms one could see the spotlessly clean table clothes. All of a sudden one guy said “Oh no, what has happened to Ted, was it a heart attack?” My friend and I jumped straight on the “band wagon” and said “it was a real shame, but Ted didn’t want to disappoint his regular customers from H&B, therefore asking us to take over”. This of course was telling any lies! Everybody was the saying what a nice guy Ted was and of course how he was respected.
At about 12:45 the family then arrived back at the pub by using the side private entrance. Nobody from the bar could see this happening of course. Ted then needed to use the gent’s toilet and passed quickly across the corridor between the bar and the private living rooms. All of a sudden one of the regulars (who had noticed this) went all white and said “bloody hell I’ve just seen Ted’s ghost”!
At this stage Ted came into the bar, greeted everybody, and asked us if everything was ok and how it went. You can imagine what the workers said to my friend and myself!

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 18:57   #141
Senior Member+

Nice one, Phillip. I was a regulsr in the Junction late 50s into the 60s. One night, I danced on a round 'Britannia' table and broke it. We had a whip round to pay the landlord, who I think was called Alan. We drank John Smith's 'Nips' ( strong ale) in there.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 16:59   #142
Senior Member+

Please can someone tell me if these are the remains of Howard & Bullough clocking in tokens?

image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 20:57   #143
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

They do look like em, but dont remember if hole in em or not, its been that long.
Old 16-09-2015, 23:06   #144
Senior Member+

Cheers C,they defiantly say Howard & bullough Accrington.
Do you know if they had any other types of tokens there....pay tokens etc?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:09   #145

All were the same stamped with : num1 morning check in,num2 afternoon check in,
num3 to get your wage, num4 overtime check out
cashman and Accyexplorer like this.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:28   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Good un D, yer memorys much better n mine lol
Old 17-09-2015, 11:37   #147
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
They are as you say numbered 1-4 but 1 was morning clock in, 2 was fternoon, 3 was clock out after overtime, and 4 was for your wages. The hole in the middle was to hang it on a pot hook on your deparments board, they were returned to you during the afternoon by the shop clerk, number 4 was returned during the following mondays hand back, both Langs and Bulloughs used the same system, mu number was J10.

Accyexplorer likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:45   #148

you are right retlaw, I got mixed up, my number was 624
Old 19-09-2015, 09:59   #149
Mog

Does the name Dick Mason ring any bells with you guys.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 10:21   #150

Did he work in stores in the 70's Mog ? I think I remember him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..