Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2006, 02:43   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Howard & Bullough

I enjoyed reading the Posts about H&B. My Grand-dad used to light the work lamps around H&B when I was a kid. I cannot recall why those lamps were used but I felt really important helping Grandad on his rounds.
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2006, 06:44   #17
Resting in Peace

:engsmil: I used to work at H&B althought still called that it was in fact Platts.

I was there from 1976 to 1979 and just as I finished it changed to Platt Saco Lowell. I worked in
Travis Rod,
Black-box,
Grinding and Polishing,
Milling and Drilling,
Kit Marshell,
Sub-Assembly
and did some labouring.

Was also on the works fire service and attended many a fire at Stanhill tip as it was the works responsibialty, not sure why though lol,

With regards for Dick Bury the name rings a bell with me as I seem to recall him being an inspector in the travis rod section.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 03:38   #18

[QUOTE=Siddie;259358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevis2
Hello once again and greetings from Canada
I served my apprenticeship at Howard & Bullough from 1940-1946 in the Toolroom ,
Trevis do you remember Arthur Livesey ???????
Hi my name is Anthea NcKinlay (nee Ashworth) both my dad and grandad worked at Bullers my dad Albert and grandad William known as Bill. Grandad worked there for over 40 years I think he was a foreman or some kind of boss there. Dad worked there when he was around 16, 17, grandad was well known he wasn't a tall bloke he's dead now I think he retired in the 60's have you heard of them. I live in Melbourne. Australia, dad is now 80.
EmmaMyc likes this.
bigphilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 05:28   #19
Senior Member+

[quote=bigphilou;737898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddie View Post
Hi my name is Anthea NcKinlay (nee Ashworth) both my dad and grandad worked at Bullers my dad Albert and grandad William known as Bill. Grandad worked there for over 40 years I think he was a foreman or some kind of boss there. Dad worked there when he was around 16, 17, grandad was well known he wasn't a tall bloke he's dead now I think he retired in the 60's have you heard of them. I live in Melbourne. Australia, dad is now 80.
My Father (Joe), and brother (Derek), both worked at Bulloughs. Dad started after 1st WW when he recovered from wounds - I remember him as foreman in the Ring Room and then the Tool Room - I remember the name Crawshaw, Dad eventually took over from him as Superintendent.
My brother was in the Drawing Office but was fired in early '40s for spending too much time running around doing things for the Home Guard. He then went to the Pioneer before departing for foreign parts - Wales being his first stopping point.
Old 20-08-2009, 11:11   #20
Senior Member+

i believe my grandad Ewart Beech worked at Bullers as a boilerman
can always remember the big lancashire boilers, on brown st..
and i dont mean titty best, and the like...LOL

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:00   #21

Platt Saco Lowell had a large research establishment on Holcombe Road at Helmshore
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:17   #22
I am Banned

The Firm was established in 1853 by John Howard & James Bleakey, James Bullough the elder joined the firm in 1857 following the withdrawal of Bleakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Howard & Bulloughs, Accrington formed in 1851. Partners James Bullough and John Howard. Engineering firm making machinery for the cotton industry.

James's son John joined them business in 1862 and he helped to build up the company to one of the largest employers in the Accrington area with over 2,000 workers which eventually grew to over 6,000 in its heyday. The factory, known as "Globe Works" was a huge square building covering more than 50 acres, with an open interior area like a quadrangle. It totally dominated the town. Most of the building has now been demolished but the front part remains as "The Globe Centre". There was even a link across Ormerod Street to a smaller building (now occupied by the Council as Scaitcliffe House) which was connected by overhead covered walkways.

Up to 75% of the factory's output was exported and most of the people in the town worked there, had family who worked there or knew someone who worked there. It was commonly refered to as "Bulloughs" (Poor old Mr. Howard being totally ignored)

Bulloughs also made a large amouts of munitions during WWI.

During the second world war they turned to manufacture of armaments such as bayonets, shells, gun carriages, mine sinkers, aircraft components.

After the war they returned again to machinery manufacture. However, by the late 1980s things were in decline. The company had been taken over by Platts whose logo appeared on the front of the building. American company Saco Lowell took over Platts and the firm became Platt Saco Lowell, which finally closed down in 1993.
Things started to decline earlier than that it started around 1955 across all depratments. its one of the reasons I left in 1957 and joined the Fire Brigade. Engineering was on its way out, it started even earlier at Lang Bridges where Iserved my apprenticeship.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-08-2009 at 14:23.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:40   #23
God Member

My mother and father were both employed in cotton weaving.
My dad blamed the decline of Lancashire cotton weaving on Howard and Bulloughs.
He said that the machinery they exported to eastern countries had drastically reduced the demand for cotton woven in Lancs

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 17:03   #24

Hi bigphilou
Im sorry the name doesnt ring a bell My grandad Arthur Livesey worked at bulloughs as a charge hand/fitter and was a union man but thats all I know I am afraid, there may be a few out there that remember my dad Cyril Whittaker though who was a barber in Burnley Road Accrington and is still going strong at the grand old age of 86yrs in October
Siddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 20:41   #25
God Member

My Grandad worked at Bulloughs. They must have gone on strike or were thinking about going on strike at one stage because I remember him singing a song ''Bulloughs are going out on strike''.
Old 21-08-2009, 13:45   #26

I served my time at Bulloughs as a fitter 1945-1952. My department was Ring Frames on the top floor. Cashy is right. We used to clock in with a numbered metal disc.One of my best friends was Frank Fielding who worked in the personnel Office. He played cricket for Enfield.I won a prize as the best apprentice in 1951. The prize was a month at the Outward Bound Mountain School in Cumberland.Bulloughs had their own school for the apprentices. I think it was up Willows Lane but my memory is not good these days. I remember going to Night School 4 nights a week 6 to 9. Some of the lessons were in the old Grammar School.I left Bulloughs when I finished my apprenticeship in 1952 and had to go and do my National Service.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 01:12   #27

My uncle Paddy Mckenna worked at HB FOR YEARS.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:41   #28
I am Banned

[quote=Jim Procter;738126]I served my time at Bulloughs as a fitter 1945-1952. My department was Ring Frames on the top floor. Cashy is right. We used to clock in with a numbered metal disc.

Those numbered checks had H & B and your number stamped on them. you had 3, No1 was for morning, No 2 was for afterdinner and the No 3 you chucked in the box when you were leaving if you had been on overtime.

All the checks were hung on department boards in numerical order and during the afternoon a bloke came round with the department boards and gave you your checks back.
Lang Bridges had the same system, but you had a 4th check that was used on a friday to collect your pay which was on a big table in the Tinners shop, your pay was in a little tin tube held in trays for each department, handed out by Reggie from the pay office.
My number at Langs was J 10.

Retlaw.
Old 23-08-2009, 23:01   #29

Didn't Bullough's have a yard between Lonsdale street and the lodge? Lorries were always in and out of it next to springhill WMC
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:40   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Didn't Bullough's have a yard between Lonsdale street and the lodge? Lorries were always in and out of it next to springhill WMC
Yes it was their timber yard.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..