Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2011, 22:02   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
What was her name i will ask me dad if he remembers her?
Molly n Grandad was Reg. lived at 58.
Old 28-02-2011, 22:06   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Molly n Grandad was Reg. lived at 58.
I will ask him when i see him on wednesday
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26   #93

My Uncle George always reckoned that H&B built the first motor lorry but didn't patent it before Leyland got in on the act. Don't know whther there's any truth in it or proof for it though.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 14:35   #94
Senior Member+

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ton-49047.html

try this site re cars made in accrington
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56   #95

Thanks. Fascinating stuff. Doesn't say anything about lorries but does show that H&B's premises were involved in motor manufacture so could either be a mixed up memory or something else that didn't quite work.
Old 02-03-2011, 21:52   #96
Senior Member+

Hi take a look at this link - post 56.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...h-17881-4.html
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25   #97

They're wonderful pictures. I love looking at stuff like that. The second photo has a Leyland badge though, can't see on the first one but my uncle always reckoned that the first H&B lorry had a Globe badge on the front.
Old 13-07-2011, 13:46   #98
Senior Member+

PHOTOS TAKEN AT HOWARD & BULLOUGHS or PLATT SACO LOWELL's

Accrington Library (upstairs in the Local Studies department) have recently acquired some old photos from H & B/Platt's. They could do with some help in identifying some of the folk on them.
If any Accywebbers are passing and perhaps have 5 or 10 mins to spare, the library would appreciate any help with them.
Old 01-09-2011, 20:51   #99

Sorry if this has already had a mention

THE life and times of the wealthy Bullough family, which employed thousands of Accrington folk at the height of the textile industry, is charted in a new book.

It tells of luxurious steam yachts, a castle on a Scottish island, with alligators and humming birds and the rise of the town’s Globe Works.

The family who shaped Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:52   #100

I am looking for stories about a Jacob "Jake" Hargreaves. He was born in 1876 so he could be one of your 'old as paint' guys. What do you remember?
jakehargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:14   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Sorry if this has already had a mention

THE life and times of the wealthy Bullough family, which employed thousands of Accrington folk at the height of the textile industry, is charted in a new book.

It tells of luxurious steam yachts, a castle on a Scottish island, with alligators and humming birds and the rise of the town’s Globe Works.

The family who shaped Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)
This gentleman, Alistair Scott, who wrote the book as mentioned in the LT article, is the lecturer at the next Hyndburn Local History society. Entitled 'Eccentric Wealth' as per his book:

The Bullloughs of Rum,
Alistair Scott from Edinburgh.
November 3rd.
The Lecture Room,
Accrington Library.
7.30 p.m.
£2.50 non members.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:51   #102

I started in Jobbing(spares)stores in 1970 went 'upstairs in 1982 as a progress chaser after 'new company formed by Hollingsworth.Progressed up to purchasing manager and in 1993 60 people moved to the old OXO plant in Great Harwood.5 years later a company from Bradford bought what remained of the spares business which was by this time just 2 people one of which was me and put us in an office in Colne for 12 months and then moved us over to Bradford .After travelling over there for 5 years I retired early in December 2006 And today my former collegue still sells spare parts for Platt machinery
amongtst other textile machinery parts.I have in my possession the original brass Howard and Bullough registered office sign which was
outside the Globe works.I did once offer it to a councellor for the Globe Centre but never heard back.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 12:25   #103
I am Banned

Groove thinks its a shame that there are no big firms like H and B around now.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 20:59   #104
Senior Member+

At 101, Katex mentions a book on the Bulloughs. I have started to read it - absolutely fascinating. Highly recommended. I think the library are selling it, also the bookshop in Gt Harwood (Pam's Bookends)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 07:16   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
.I have in my possession the original brass Howard and Bullough registered office sign which was
outside the Globe works.I did once offer it to a councellor for the Globe Centre but never heard back.
Hey, Big Dave .... as plans for a museum are now moving forward, please don't do anything with this plaque ... would make a very decent exhibit. Would you be prepared to let it go ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..