Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2011, 15:54   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Warner Street, Accrington

and, if I remember correctly, there was a "secret passageway" between the two Hopwood shops, i.e. you could go the shop in Church Street, and walk through to the other shop and come out of the doorway in Warner Street! Magic!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2011, 16:13   #47

Agreed.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:20   #48
JCB

I thought Hopwoods was one shop with two entrances .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:25   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I thought Hopwoods was one shop with two entrances .
I vaguely recall the passageway. I don't think it was secret. It was a doorsized opening with three steps up from Warner St side. Customers were allowed through it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:31   #50
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I vaguely recall the passageway. I don't think it was secret. It was a doorsized opening with three steps up from Warner St side. Customers were allowed through it.
I remember now when you mention the three steps .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 19:42   #51
Senior Member+

Mr A Bury lived at 27 Warner St. The Warner Arms was 55.Hopwoods was 37 Church St, Greenwood's 35. When I was 21, my aunbts clubbed up and bought me a canteenm odf cutler ( I was about to ghet married) They had gone in each week putting something in towards it, as it had been put on one side. There probably were others shops selling canteens, but none with the reputation of Hopwwods.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 06:20   #52

thanks for the photo retlaw, much appreciated.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:32   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
There was also an aquarist shop - Baldry's I think the name was. It was the only one in town and I spent a fair portion of my spending money in there - early '50s
Hi, here is an advert from the pet shop, its from a 1954 Accrington Observer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baldry's pet shop Warner Street advert from 1954.jpg (296.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 16-07-2011, 23:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sadly Contemporary Flowers are no longer at number 35, they closed last week.
I went past today & noticed a closed sign & thought it a bit odd, have they moved elsewhere do you know? This was a really good shop, my collegues & myself used this on many occassions, cant believe its closed.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 12:39   #55

Warner Street is almost 1 of a kind, there are very few places like it anywhere. It's almost a little village in its own right. Its always sad to see businesses fold but looking at the street the other day there arent many empty shops. Several new businesses have come in recently. The old guard like Marsdens and Porters are still there aswell im glad to see. Unfortunately i really don't think that Hyndburn Council appreciates what a gem it has in its hands. Along with Abbey St, The Arcade and Church Street the area has what is a fading memory in many towns, individual privately run shops. We need to support our local shopkeepers, we will miss them when they've gone and can't get what we want!

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 19:55   #56
Senior Member+

Mary Baldry used to have a mynah bird in the shop and if you didn't know you could be asked when you entered the shop " Have you had a bath" and this would have you looking round to see who was speaking
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 19:51   #57

Pity Warner St can't be restored to its bow fronted elegance!
There used to be a picture of it like that in the Warner's arms, looked just like that one in the museum at York Straight out of Dickens!
Old 21-05-2012, 23:39   #58
Senior Member+

I really wish i could remember seeing such a photo you describe. I have seen quite a few of Warner St, but dont recall such a "romantic" picture. Here is one of an old postcard, but not showing the bow fronted charm you mention.
The shops on this street are lovely and well worth a visit, but I cant say that for the pub at the very bottom of the street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warner street postcard.jpg (142.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Warners May 2012.jpg (318.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 22-05-2012, 00:50   #59

I used to go for my lunch on Warner Street in a little cafe near the bottom end close to Church Street, the food was great and we always had the 'pudding' with lots of custard. That was in the 60's.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 08:47   #60
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
I used to go for my lunch on Warner Street in a little cafe near the bottom end close to Church Street, the food was great and we always had the 'pudding' with lots of custard. That was in the 60's.
Was the Copper Kettle on Warner street on the right hand side looking up. I remember The Catholic club. It is where I had my first drink of beer. Might have been a half of mild. Not to sure it was the very early sixties.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..