Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2012, 16:26   #76

Re: Warner Street, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Tattersalls extended into what had been Bodens pie shop and cafe.
I think Oak Street Congregational Church was demolished about 1965/6.
Thanks for that Balbus my memory wasn,t that bad after all,I thought I had moved from Accy when the church was demolished and that was 64.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2012, 20:04   #77
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
Hi Max I didn,t know it moved to smaller premises.The only other family I can remember from the church days was Espley,s who had the chemists I think Ian was round about my age.

Esply's Chemist was in little Blackburn Rd, couple of doors up from the Commercial.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:10   #78
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
My memory must be fading I thought the cafe was where Tattersalls was we used to go in on a friday and have a plateful of potato pie(my mouth is watering.)When I was a child I went to Oak st Church & Sunday School can anyone tell me the date it was demolished,I,m sure Retlaw will know.
The dates, and a picture of it part demolished, is on one of the threads on here, quite a few were demolished around the same period.
Abbey St Weleyans, Union St Wesleyans, Oak St Congies, & The Swedenborgs on Abbery St.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 10:18   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Esply's Chemist was in little Blackburn Rd, couple of doors up from the Commercial.
Retlaw.
Espley's used to have a shop on the corner of Higher Antley Street and Ormerod Street
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:42   #80
Junior Member+

I'm surprised that nobody has remembered Miss Carter's Sweet Shop in Warner Street, a single storey building opposite the arcade. She always wore a black shawl and slept in her rocking chair behind the counter. It was a tiny shop but well stocked. It backed onto the side of Stuttards Garage. Every morning she could be seen feeding the pigeons outside her shop.
born n bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53   #81

enjoyed the photos of Warner St. my great great grandfather and family lived at 34 Warner in 1891 census and at no. 35 in 1901. I live in Australia but will be over there next April so look forward to walking along Warner St. and taking some photos of the area. My gg grandfather died in 1905 at 1 Broughtons Yard, Accrington do you know where that is by any chance? Kathy
katcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22   #82
Senior Member+

It was off Oak St -= left hand side going up after Bank St.and after another yard called James Court. Retlaw deposited his listing of all of Accrington's yards and courts in the library many years ago.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 23:07   #83
Resting in Peace

going to be gathering a lot of research for this street ( Warner Street) we have just taken on number 9 .... opens in the new year Florist and Furniture shop.... back in the 1881 it was a beer house: also looking for old photo's of the area .... if any one can help :thanks in advance Magpie:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:34   #84
Senior Member+

Magpie - visit the library's Local Studies room. Best to see John Simpson. Their photos are filed in street order. You can buy copies. Using their directories, it should be easy to record the occupants over the years.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 13:54   #85
Full Member+

I loved Hopwoods shop in Warner Street. It was a fancy goods shop selling vases,china,handbags and all manner of other lovely things. I still have a couple of fine china teacups and saucers with a sugar basin and a small milk jug that I bought there for my mum's new 'Teasmaid' years ago. There does not seem to be many such shops anywhere now selling quality goods. Pity.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 20:52   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Magpie - visit the library's Local Studies room. Best to see John Simpson. Their photos are filed in street order. You can buy copies. Using their directories, it should be easy to record the occupants over the years.
been there Bob and got shed loads of information.... but would still like more:-) being greedy I am : thanks yes John is very good and he knows where to find things :
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 20:31   #87
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Bowden's pie shop and cafe was higher up than Tattersalls as far as I can remember.

Was the shop just lower down than the Warner's called Hopwoods, sold fancy goods and lighting if I remember and it carried on round into Church Street.

There was the Catholic Club, upstairs next to Key Joes
it was next door but one to key joes, lamberts grocery shop was in between
lynxkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 20:35   #88
Junior Member+

it was turned into a hairdressers when the butcher left
lynxkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06   #89

Babyland on the top corner of Warner st and Abbey st. Used to have to put a penny into slot in the door casing and watch the model train go round.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:54   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The street at a later date took its name from the Lee-Warner family, the owners of the land
Must have missed this on Atarahs post first time round. Thanks anyway
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..