Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2012, 09:15   #61
Resting In Peace

Re: Warner Street, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Was the Copper Kettle on Warner street on the right hand side looking up. I remember The Catholic club. It is where I had my first drink of beer. Might have been a half of mild. Not to sure it was the very early sixties.
The Copper Kettle today is at the top end of Warner street just off Abbey Street on the RHS looking towards Abbey Street. May have been somewhere else in years gone by.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:19   #62

The Copper Kettle has always been in the same place. The pie shop and cafe was Bodens'- next to Tattersalls' Typewriters.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 18:59   #63
Junior Member+

I remember some of these shops very well, from the forties and fifties. The people who owned Hopwood's attended New Jerusalem Church and Sunday School, when I did. Their son Peter was a bit older than me. They once ran a children's competition, when you had to identify a slogan in the shop. They had to tell me what a slogan was, but I won a toy sewing machine. I also remember Baldry's, where we bought dog biscuits, and Key Joe's.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 19:24   #64
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
I remember some of these shops very well, from the forties and fifties. The people who owned Hopwood's attended New Jerusalem Church and Sunday School, when I did. Their son Peter was a bit older than me. They once ran a children's competition, when you had to identify a slogan in the shop. They had to tell me what a slogan was, but I won a toy sewing machine. I also remember Baldry's, where we bought dog biscuits, and Key Joe's.
I used to live across the street from the Church Vestry in Hargreaves St. The most remembered shops in Warner St, seem to be Baldry's, Hopwoods, Key Joe's, the Copper Kettle, Tattersalls Typewriters, & Marsdens Leather Goods, they used to do boot & shoe repairs at one time.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 20:00   #65
Senior Member+

Used to buy my tropical fish from Mary Baldry
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 21:09   #66
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I used to live across the street from the Church Vestry in Hargreaves St. The most remembered shops in Warner St, seem to be Baldry's, Hopwoods, Key Joe's, the Copper Kettle, Tattersalls Typewriters, & Marsdens Leather Goods, they used to do boot & shoe repairs at one time.

Retlaw
I remember the houses in Hargreaves St. as we entered the Sunday School across from them. I think Mr. and Mrs. Sagar, who attended the church, lived on Hargreaves St. near there. Hope I'm not getting my streets mixed up here. Was Hargreaves St. the first street off Adelaide St. parallel to Abbey St?
Old 23-05-2012, 21:11   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
I remember the houses in Hargreaves St. as we entered the Sunday School across from them. I think Mr. and Mrs. Sagar, who attended the church, lived on Hargreaves St. near there. Hope I'm not getting my streets mixed up here. Was Hargreaves St. the first street off Adelaide St. parallel to Abbey St?
That's right opposite the Masonic Hall
Old 23-05-2012, 21:37   #68
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR=black
JoanR[/COLOR];993635]I remember the houses in Hargreaves St. as we entered the Sunday School across from them. I think Mr. and Mrs. Sagar, who attended the church, lived on Hargreaves St. near there. Hope I'm not getting my streets mixed up here. Was Hargreaves St. the first street off Adelaide St. parallel to Abbey St?
Yep, and Jack Sagar was the caretaker for the Church & School, he lived at nu 7 Hargreaves St, I used to help him with odd jobs, it paid for my saturday trips to the Bug Hut, Flash Gordon, Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Zoro, and many more.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 02:21   #69
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Yep, and Jack Sagar was the caretaker for the Church & School, he lived at nu 7 Hargreaves St, I used to help him with odd jobs, it paid for my saturday trips to the Bug Hut, Flash Gordon, Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Zoro, and many more.
Retlaw.
Thanks maxthecollie and Retlaw for corroborating my information about the location of Hargreaves Street. I remember Jack Sagar very well. His wife was the superintendent, if that's the right term, of the junior Sunday School when I used to go there.
Old 24-05-2012, 08:51   #70
God Member

When I started work at Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance in 1959, the local office was divided into two parts and I worked in the part housed in the old sunday school on Hargreaves street. The office was eventually relocated to Melbourne House when it was built in 1965.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 13:55   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Was the Copper Kettle on Warner street on the right hand side looking up. I remember The Catholic club. It is where I had my first drink of beer. Might have been a half of mild. Not to sure it was the very early sixties.
Thks. Mog, I've been trying to remember for ages where the catholic club used to be. I used to go there and I can remember quite a steep staircase. Now I'm trying to remember the names of some of the lads thatwent there. I can see them in my mind but I can't put a name to the face. It must have been about
63-63 and I was still at Paddock House ( so no drinkies for me!!!)
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:09   #72

My memory must be fading I thought the cafe was where Tattersalls was we used to go in on a friday and have a plateful of potato pie(my mouth is watering.)When I was a child I went to Oak st Church & Sunday School can anyone tell me the date it was demolished,I,m sure Retlaw will know.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:12   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
My memory must be fading I thought the cafe was where Tattersalls was we used to go in on a friday and have a plateful of potato pie(my mouth is watering.)When I was a child I went to Oak st Church & Sunday School can anyone tell me the date it was demolished,I,m sure Retlaw will know.
I went to Oak Street Church and Sunday School, I can't remember when it was demolished. I was in the Scouts there. The church move to smaller premises on Higher Antley Street junction with Major Street. Last I knew it was an Asian Store.
Old 24-05-2012, 15:38   #74

Tattersalls extended into what had been Bodens pie shop and cafe.
I think Oak Street Congregational Church was demolished about 1965/6.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 16:15   #75

Smile Re: Warner Street, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I went to Oak Street Church and Sunday School, I can't remember when it was demolished. I was in the Scouts there. The church move to smaller premises on Higher Antley Street junction with Major Street. Last I knew it was an Asian Store.
Hi Max I didn,t know it moved to smaller premises.The only other family I can remember from the church days was Espley,s who had the chemists I think Ian was round about my age.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..