Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   TESCO - new site in Accrington. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/tesco-new-site-in-accrington-51370.html)

Atarah 20-01-2010 23:57

TESCO - new site in Accrington.

6 Attachment(s)
Thanks to GypoDec for pointing out to us that "activity" has started on the old college site, near the Railway Station. Its hard to see the full extent of the site as you have to "peep" through "fencing" on the railway station side. The site is MASSIVE, it will be an eye opener when we get to see the whole site cleared.
The first photo is an old view. I have tried to mark the approx. site to give members an idea of where it covers.
The other photos were taken 20th Jan, 2010

GypoDec 21-01-2010 02:07

Re: TESCO - new site in Accrington.

Thanks for the pics Atarah,.. there pulling it down fast, theyd only just started when i saw it.

And..... Dare i say it,..... LOOK AT ALL THAT SCRAP METAL !! :o haha

accyman 21-01-2010 02:35

lol i cant wait to see how bad blackburn road gets for traffic jams after this is completed yu can barely get past as it is becaue of illigaly parked cars so throwing in extra traffic from tescos isnt going to make things any better

the tescos in ozzy has already cause huge problems but big companies dont seem to have any problems getting things approved by councils, the new one is osy has seen a quiet lane safe for locals to walk down into a double parks speed track and exiting the place is an accident waiting to happen infact a few accidents have occured already

is this one going to be a full sized tesco or one of those mini tesco stores that arnt cheaper than any other shop on the high street

Atarah 21-01-2010 09:11

is this one going to be a full sized tesco or one of those mini tesco stores that arnt cheaper than any other shop on the high street.

All systems go for new Tesco - News - Accrington Observer
Bear in mind, this is dated Sept 2008.

Going off the size of what can be seen already, I would say its going to be a mega massive one! Good comments you posted accyman about traffic problems. The obvious move will be to make an entry/exit on Scaitcliffe Street as well as on Eagle Street, but with both of these having to get out onto Blackburn Road it must cause terrible traffic problems.

jaysay 21-01-2010 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypoDec (Post 780508)
Thanks for the pics Atarah,.. there pulling it down fast, theyd only just started when i saw it.

And..... Dare i say it,..... LOOK AT ALL THAT SCRAP METAL !! :o haha

So we can take it that you'll be round with your horse and cart them Dec:D

Reamer 21-01-2010 10:44

What mystifies me is which route will HGV's take to deliver to the store ? Surely Blackburn Rd - Eagle st is not an option, Scaitcliffe st possibly but would they get under the railway bridge ? The only other option I can see is via Eastgate/Manchester Rd and along Grange Lane. Anyone got a clue ?

GypoDec 21-01-2010 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 780549)

Haha i myt pop round and lets say,...... Offer to take it off there hands lol ;)

Me poor horse couldnt shift that anyways lol :) Id need tha transit !!

Reamer 21-01-2010 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 780569)
What mystifies me is which route will HGV's take to deliver to the store ? Surely Blackburn Rd - Eagle st is not an option, Scaitcliffe st possibly but would they get under the railway bridge ? The only other option I can see is via Eastgate/Manchester Rd and along Grange Lane. Anyone got a clue ?

No, it would be along Wellington St instead of Grange lane. Got my streets mixed up :(

cashman 21-01-2010 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 780549)

hey in 60s, would have hired one from trelfalls down clayton n nabbed it meself.:D

GypoDec 21-01-2010 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 780609)
hey in 60s, would have hired one from trelfalls down clayton n nabbed it meself.:D

Haha we'll go halfs on the profits Cashman ;)

accyman 21-01-2010 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reamer (Post 780588)
No, it would be along Wellington St instead of Grange lane. Got my streets mixed up :(

well unless blackburn road starts following UK traffic laws and not pakistans i dont think the store will do to well because people will find it much easier to go to asda or drive the extra to blackburn tesco or haslingden tesco if they dont fancy asda unless part of the deal for bringing a tesco to accrington is that the council and teh police do somthing about it and not simply shrug its shoulders and give up trying to enforce the law down there like they did before :rolleyes:

cashman 21-01-2010 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 780647)
well unless blackburn road starts following UK traffic laws and not pakistans i dont think the store will do to well because people will find it much easier to go to asda or drive the extra to blackburn tesco or haslingden tesco if they dont fancy asda unless part of the deal for bringing a tesco to accrington is that the council and teh police do somthing about it and not simply shrug its shoulders and give up trying to enforce the law down there like they did before :rolleyes:

well theres one here that drives to blackburns, but will certainly use accy tesco.:)

accyman 21-01-2010 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 780651)
well theres one here that drives to blackburns, but will certainly use accy tesco.:)

yeah but you could polevault to accy's nevermind drive ,if you lived on avenue parade for example it would be a lot less hassle to got to haslingdens tesco even though its twice as far if not three times the distance to travel

im not counting tesco express stores because they arnt cheap infact an item at ossy tesco that cost 54p is 98p at the accy tesco express and when i asked why its because ossy tesco has more competion so they make prices cheaper there which to me is wrong as each store shoud have teh same price throughout its range and prices shoud not be based on what they think they can get away with charging in one particular area over another

Atarah 22-01-2010 22:23

Can I just pass on this info. By chance, as I was walking into the Reference Library (which has a new name, cant remember it though) I spotted a large map on the wall by the entrance door. Its dated 1892 and just happens to be more or less about the EXACT area where the new Tesco is gonna be. Its just an ABSOLUTE COINCIDENCE its on the wall. It proves that the site of Tesco is .. absolutely bang on the site of all the track and buildings etc of our lovely old Accrington railway station. It shows where the waiting rooms were, the parcels office, the refreshment rooms. It shows where the Goods Shed was, behind the wall which now faces the front of The Globe centre.
Pop in and have a look, its rather interesting.

cashman 22-01-2010 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 781298)
Can I just pass on this info. By chance, as I was walking into the Reference Library (which has a new name, cant remember it though) I spotted a large map on the wall by the entrance door. Its dated 1892 and just happens to be more or less about the EXACT area where the new Tesco is gonna be. Its just an ABSOLUTE COINCIDENCE its on the wall. It proves that the site of Tesco is .. absolutely bang on the site of all the track and buildings etc of our lovely old Accrington railway station. It shows where the waiting rooms were, the parcels office, the refreshment rooms. It shows where the Goods Shed was, behind the wall which now faces the front of The Globe centre.
Pop in and have a look, its rather interesting.

thanks atarah will pop in on monday n have a good sneck.:)