Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 18:46   #31
God Member

Re: No speed limit ?

New drivers are just as bad ..... On and off the accelerator and brakes like they're tap dancing on the pedals
Old 01-03-2006, 19:56   #32
God Member

Thats right tinks,

'Brakes are for wimps!'

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 20:09   #33

does nyone know there highway code, a dual carridgeway that has no public footpath then the speed limit is 70mph, a dual carridgeway with a pulic footpath ie the bit between dill hall lane and junction 7 roundabout is 60mph, i think those who are doing 70 should be doing 60, or did you not notice it had a footpath!!!! Have a look at the highway code online you will find it in there!!!!
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:11   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

one don't drive on the footpat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy
does nyone know there highway code, a dual carridgeway that has no public footpath then the speed limit is 70mph, a dual carridgeway with a pulic footpath ie the bit between dill hall lane and junction 7 roundabout is 60mph, i think those who are doing 70 should be doing 60, or did you not notice it had a footpath!!!! Have a look at the highway code online you will find it in there!!!!
I for one don't drive on the footpath and if I'm doing 70 mph I consider it far more important to watch what I might run into, rather than a bit of tail I might be able to offer a lift to!!!!!

(Tongue in cheek warning), watch how quickly it's ignored.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:18   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
ime pretty sure those adverts about speeding say that hitting somone at 30mph is ok but at 40mph they are most likely to die...?

20 mph is ok if the streets are busy or there are a lot of parked cars but when there is a clear view and clear road ahead people driving at 15mph to 20mph are simply holding everyone up

it makes me wonder if they either have too much time on their hands or are driving slow because they are trying to hide the fact they are drunk

wanna travel at 15mph get a bloody bike
I always think that too.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:33   #36

Quote:
Well thats a new one on me, last time i looked single carriage-way was 60mph and dual was 70mph. What a footpath as to do with the speed i dont know, if you get hit at 60 or 70 odds are your brown bread lucky or a cabbage
Old 03-03-2006, 07:05   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The whole idea of national speed limit signs is stupid. They should all be changed to 60 or 70 signs as required and stop the confusion once and for all. As the old signs need replacing numbered signs should be fitted. And lets stop fitting new national limit signs.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:56   #38
God Member

Thats too easy for them. besides it would cost em more in their eys for 2 diferent sets than 1.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 16:45   #39

i dont know why it is but thats what the highway code does say, check it out. I was confused myself when i saw the thread so i looked it up and thats what it says "if a dual carridgeway has a footpath on either or both sides then the carridgeway becomes a national speed limit of 60mph" I was puzzled when i know a traffic officer i will ask him what he thinks?
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 17:14   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
i dont know why it is but thats what the highway code does say, check it out. I was confused myself when i saw the thread so i looked it up and thats what it says "if a dual carridgeway has a footpath on either or both sides then the carridgeway becomes a national speed limit of 60mph" I was puzzled when i know a traffic officer i will ask him what he thinks?
So, as there is a footpath heading out of Accy, it translates at 60 mph, ok better than 70 then, however, does it also mean on both sides of the carriageway you are travelling ???? which if so, can do 70 mph driving to Accy, which has no footpath.

Neil, thought this for a while, put up the sign the limit should be ... not the white with black line for national speed limit.... which would refer you back to the national speed limit to within the boundaries of the rules for dual carriageways, as as it has been pointed out to us. Hek !! need some brain unscrambling here.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 22:47   #41
God Member

Well I always assumed that a carraige way was a dual carriage way even if it had no central reservation, if it was more than one lane. A bit off thread slightly but thhat means the section between the M56 and M6 south isn't dual carriageway. It's got a limit on it now with proper signs, but back when it was national, That means I and nearly everyone else was speeding. I cant find any reference to footpaths http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:31   #42
God Member

Your talking about the A556 Mad. Its set to 50 now and has been for some time. Before that the stretch from bowden to J19 was a defined 60, it only went to national as you go past Holly tree farm just past J19.

(I work in Knutsford so drive this road nearly every day)

Old 04-03-2006, 09:18   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I work in Knutsford so drive this road nearly every day
Well you would if you actually went to work occasionally
Old 04-03-2006, 10:13   #44
God Member

yeh yeh, back on tuesday....

Old 04-03-2006, 10:29   #45
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It was snowy down there as I passed yesterday evening

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..