Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 08:04   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: No speed limit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
I'm sure there are lots of reasons why this was granted a 70 m.ph. limit, and willing to listen, however, I know the road and know how quickly the bend comes up .. strangers may not, and think they are entering a long expanse of dual carriageway. Anyway, will try and find out the reason, if I can find the correct authority to contact. Anyone know ?
Yes, the bend does quickly come up so as I, and others do on roads in unfamilier areas to stay alive, we proceed with caution! If you are foolish enough to go full belt on a road you don't know then you are being more than a little bit silly, but if you know the road, then you will also know the safe speed to travel on it for the given weather conditions and time of day.
(However you won't just take it for granted if you wish to keep yourself and others alive).

Try these links for learning, Dual Carriageways
&

Quote:
116: On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. If you use it for overtaking move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/d.htm

By the way where it says for turning right it doesn't mean that because at the end of the dual carriageway you intend to turn right that you should get into that lane at the beginning of it (the dual carriageway), as a lot of people seem to do!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2005, 10:49   #17
God Member

Quote:
am crying with laughter so much think might electrocute myself on me keyboard.
U can laugh as much as you like but the distance between lamps does reflect the speed limit, I know i worked on street/motorway lighting for long enough.
Lamps spaced at 200 yards or less apart is a 30mph zone (technically)
There are some places where they make unlit roads 30mph zones, do you know you can fight this in court if you got caught speeding and have a chance of it being thrown out of court? have a look on the abd site, seem to remember reading about it there not long back

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 08-11-2005 at 11:17.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 17:57   #18
Resting in Peace

No wasn't laughing at the theory of light spacing at all KSH .. you obviously knowledgeable re. this, just the fact that they got it wrong in the first place.
Sorry. Did look today didn't appear to be more than 200 yards but disceptive I suppose at 70 miles per hour (joking honest) x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:30   #19
God Member

Its not the only one they got wrong or the installers, theres a few tales could be told but i'd better keep quiet, never know who's reading these posts :-)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:23   #20
God Member

OOOO you can't leave us hanging like that KSH. Spill the beans!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 09:32   #21
Junior Member+

None of you lot ever seen the 30 sign as you enter the roundabout from the dual carriageway ? ...yes it's there
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2005, 09:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch
None of you lot ever seen the 30 sign as you enter the roundabout from the dual carriageway ? ...yes it's there
Erm' Fletch what has that got to do with the price of Fish?

Quote:
By Katex-The bit between bottom of Dill Hall lights and the roundabout leading on to Junction 7.
I'm bemused by the 'No speed limit' decision ... only very short and lots of bumps there. If you heading to the roundabout have to break as you come to the bend; the other way is an incline and traffic queued up as you go over it. I feel 50 miles per hour would be adequate. Doesn't make sense to me.[IMG]images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
The above is the section of road that katex was discussing, just to make sure you have seen it I will put it on again a little bigger for you.
The bit between bottom of Dill Hall lights and the roundabout leading on to Junction 7.
Please note, 'between Dill Hall lights and the roundabout!'.

None of us have mentioned the 30mph sign for the roundabout because that wasn't the section of road we were discussing, I may well bow to your superior knowledge of the highway code because I note with interest you are a 'Driving instructor', but I will give you a very low 2 out of 10 for observation as you didn't see which bit of England we are talking about!

No, on second thoughts, I'll make that 3 out of 10 because you did actually find the thread but only on the grounds that you never teach one of my relatives to drive!

P.S. Welcome to Accyweb

Last edited by Less; 27-11-2005 at 09:57.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:20   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
The other idiots are those that go onto the dual carriageway and plant themselves in the right hand lane and then proceed to travel the full distance at 40m.p.h. thus causing queues of frustrated traffic and impatient drivers feeling the need to under-take.
If you want to travel at such a slow speed in a permitted area please, use the correct lane otherwise YOU will one day be the cause of an accident!
well said less i am constantly finding myself behind idiots doing 15 to 20mph in 30 zones who cause long tail backs

what is even worse about these idiots is that when an oportunity arises to overtake safely the morons speed up when you are along side them

i think there should be a law that can fine people for causing obstructions on the road as well as speeding on teh roads
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 13:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
well said less i am constantly finding myself behind idiots doing 15 to 20mph in 30 zones who cause long tail backs

what is even worse about these idiots is that when an oportunity arises to overtake safely the morons speed up when you are along side them

i think there should be a law that can fine people for causing obstructions on the road as well as speeding on teh roads
There is a law that can fine them for driving like that, and if Pc Plod was about they`ed get fined and no doubt points. But you know the score whenever you need one, you can never find one.
Old 01-03-2006, 16:27   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
A speed limit of 30mph means the most you can do is 30 obviously. Just because someone feels it is safer to drive at 20mph in a built up area dosn't make them idiots. Just give yourself a little extra time for your journey mate. Believe me it is a very scary experiance hitting a pedestrian that appears from nowhere or a little child that steps out into the road. I know I have done both.
I personally believe that all of our terraced streets and housing estate's should be 20mph. On the Isle of Man they call them Home Zones and enforce the 20mph limit very tightly.
Old 01-03-2006, 17:27   #26
God Member

Don't know where dill hall is, is that to the north of junction seven, where tnt is?, and your on about the short stretch from there to the motorway?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 17:31   #27
I am Banned

ime pretty sure those adverts about speeding say that hitting somone at 30mph is ok but at 40mph they are most likely to die...?

20 mph is ok if the streets are busy or there are a lot of parked cars but when there is a clear view and clear road ahead people driving at 15mph to 20mph are simply holding everyone up

it makes me wonder if they either have too much time on their hands or are driving slow because they are trying to hide the fact they are drunk

wanna travel at 15mph get a bloody bike
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 17:48   #28
God Member

lol! Don't you just love new drivers ......

If someone driving in a 30mph zone feels more comfortable driving at 20mph then so be it IMHO. On a stretch of road were you would be behind them for hours yes it would p*ss you off, but it's not likely to happen, your behind for a few minutes thats all!
Old 01-03-2006, 18:00   #29
Resting in Peace

it makes me wonder if they either have too much time on their hands or are driving slow because they are trying to hide the fact they are drunk

wanna travel at 15mph get a bloody bike[/quote]

You two arguing again ? Gonna' have to get a guidance counsellor soon ! Will have to mediate.

Point is, how low a speed limit do you go before absolutely safe for pedestrians stepping out in the road ? Almost standstill, I guess. All about anticipation at the end of the day.

Chav is correct here, they usually are unsure drivers or drunk or very elderly (notice I use 'very' to absolve myself). Neil is also vaguely correct in that you don't have to drive at 30 m.p.h., but come on, Neil, betta' ya' you have gritted your teeth occasionally behind someone driving so slowly. it's dangerous, aint it ? Because you don't know what they are going to do next.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:10   #30

Quote:
Because you don't know what they are going to do next.
But we do know what they are going to do, without any indication they brake, pull over to the right hand side of the road in front of a bus. Stop on double yellow lines jump out to get their pension from the local Post Office then stand staring at the chaos they have caused, wondering why people can't drive more carefully!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..