Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2006, 17:22   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: No speed limit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
Yep you better believe it I am actually gonna say "Well said madhatter"!!!!! I don't know for certain but I actually think the accident stats for that stretch are very small in comparable to other areas. I find it a really good stretch, you actually feel like you're getting somewhere
Not at peak times though Red, queues can form just over the bump and come on you sudden, and the black and white arrow sign on the roundabout is always acquiring new dents.

I have seen lots of accidents on the stretch, but would certainly be curious to see the stats. Could well be lower than other areas, who knows.?

Everybody says what you should be doing ... of course, but not everybody is Mr/Miss Perfect Driver are they? and to me this only makes it more dangerous for those that are less than perfect.

Anyway, in my opinion wouldn't do any harm to see it reduced and that's me last word.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2006, 17:53   #62
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
and that's me last word.
Yeah, Right, of course it is!!!!!!!!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 18:23   #63
God Member

yes but you see the signs for the traffic lights before you get to the brow, and slow down accordingly. The other way, I'd suggest that those cars have expected it to be clear and it hasn't or they've skidded and gone straight on. That could happen on any road and isn't the design or speed limit thats at fault.
The same things about others making mistakes could be said of any other dual carriageway. I would say though that with it beig sandwiched between two 30's, it is an unusual limit and would perhaps be better to set it at 60. Not that you get much chance to go above 60. suprised there's not a speed camera on the way in as you approach the lights to be honest. And no, thats not me saying there should be one, speed cameras are needed rarely in my opinion.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 14:26   #64
Resting in peace

I can still remember my driving instructor saying "Always remember, it's a LIMIT not a TARGET". There are lots of side streets in London that have a 20 mph limit because they are narrow, with parking on both sides. I am happy driving at whatever speed the road and conditions allow, but it is true that accidents at high speed tend to be far worse and more often fatal. Having driven home once from Cirencester along the M4 in heavy fog, I am appalled at the fact that seemingly sane people can drive into a wall of fog at 70 mph and more.

And, to be fair, if you don't know the road, then caution is indicated.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 20:01   #65
Resting in Peace

Profuse apologies for dragging this one up again, but have you now noticed that travelling towards the roundabout, 3 extremely large black and white chevron signs have been erected on the bend as you exit to roundabout, plus new flourescent one on the roundabout. Nah,nah,nenah,nah,nah.
Old 07-09-2006, 20:03   #66
Resting in Peace

Profuse apologies for dragging this one up again, but have you now noticed that travelling towards the roundabout, 3 extremely large black and white chevron signs have been erected on the bend as you exit to roundabout, plus new flourescent one on the roundabout. Nah,nah,nenah,nah,nah.
Old 07-09-2006, 20:45   #67
Resident Waffler

It's a strange little bit of road but I remember when it wasn't there and first using it seemed very odd. I suppose it doesn't need to have the 30mph limit because there are no houses/buildings along there. It left that petrol station in a funny spot when that road was built.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 20:46   #68
Resident Waffler

It's a strange little bit of road but I remember when it wasn't there and first using it seemed very odd. I suppose it doesn't need to have the 30mph limit because there are no houses/buildings along there. It left that petrol station in a funny spot when that road was built.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..