Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 08:07   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Praise! (for a change) - Burnley Rd, Accrington

I keep "picking up on rumours" that there MAY be a chance for Woodnook after all and that Labour are trying their utmost to reverse any decisions made. Hope the rumour has a ring of truth to it.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12   #17
Beacon of light

I hope so too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:43   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Labour have always been big on sorting out the landlords that have caused a lot of the problems in areas like Woodnook. I am really hoping they do sort it out. There is little point spending millions on making the area look good again if the root of the problem is not sorted out first. It would just be throwing away good money for a short term fix.

Sort out the problems with the bad landlords (not all are bad, I have rented several houses and only ever had one problem landlord), get tough on the residents making the mess and then invest in the areas is the way forward in my opinion.

I would prefer to see the houses owned by the council first and them restored so we are not giving tax payers money to private companies and individuals but I cant see that happening.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Labour have always been big on sorting out the landlords that have caused a lot of the problems in areas like Woodnook. I am really hoping they do sort it out. There is little point spending millions on making the area look good again if the root of the problem is not sorted out first. It would just be throwing away good money for a short term fix.

Sort out the problems with the bad landlords (not all are bad, I have rented several houses and only ever had one problem landlord), get tough on the residents making the mess and then invest in the areas is the way forward in my opinion.

I would prefer to see the houses owned by the council first and them restored so we are not giving tax payers money to private companies and individuals but I cant see that happening.
that to me is at the core of the problem, probably the biggest factor, the stupid decision to sell off council houses, - less to rent n many jumped on the bandwagon,snapping property up, there has always been rogue landlords "Rachman" etc, but as well as the good uns, many "Cowboys" came aboard.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Do you need planning permission to stick those horrible little porches on?
People often confuse planning permission with building regulations and although you may not need the former you will almost certainly need the latter.

If in doubt check It out.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Neil; 08-07-2011 at 11:04. Reason: fixed quote
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21   #21
Resting in Peace

Building Regulations - Planning, building and the environment - Department for Communities and Local Government

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

To complicated for me mate, I hit things with hammers and if that fails I get the laptop out
Old 08-07-2011, 19:29   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
To complicated for me mate, I hit things with hammers and if that fails I get the laptop out
The laptop can't be much good for hitting things with !
Old 10-07-2011, 19:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Why indeed Steve, seems that some areas of Hyndburn are being given the star treatment whilst others are being completely ignored. Wonder why that is
I've no idea about Woodnook, but the area between the railway line and burnley road hasn't been receiving any star treatment at all. It has been neglected for quite some time and it was due some attention too. I would guess that Burnley Road took priority as it's a major 'in-road' for the town. They haven't touched the properties on the streets behind, many of which are in a dire state.

Looks like the difficult gardens at the top of the second block are being tackled now. There's been a truck and digger blocking traffic on Burnley Road for a few days now
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 19:47   #25

burnley rd does look great. It was becoming run down & being a "gateway" into town was likely why it was chosen. Only critisim is rediculous waste of money putting new stone garden walls in & flagging losing gardens ! Walls could've been cleaned / rebuilt using existing. Unfortunately opposite side looks 100 times worse now - unless that gets done or owners invest which i doubt very much.
Woodnook - it's demise was back in 80's when landlords started buyin up houses. I shame every time i walk along hudson st to a friends & cringe each time her parents visit from france. There's plenty legislation the council can use to try to get the area cleaned up it it takes resources they've not got.
Blackburn rd - council or likely the faceless ever moving gravy train that was elevate started at the wrong end. Several councillors agreed with me! Should've been town centre out. Instead the worst's been left and now there's money!
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
Only critisim is rediculous waste of money putting new stone garden walls in & flagging losing gardens ! Walls could've been cleaned / rebuilt using existing.
My builder friend says they've used artificial rather than cut stone - if they sold on the original stone, they may have offset much of the cost. Not sure if that's how they worked it though.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:20   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
What I meant to add, and missed off, was, how come they didnt improve the property along Blackburn Road. All those fab Victorian houses, some with bay windows, (and lovely, large rooms) could have just looked just as good!!!!

some properties along blackburn road have been done twice over the years with re sandblasting,new roofs,railings and windows and each time the owners have let the buildings fall into a mess.Why they were done twice i dont know im sure other areas would have loved the free work and looked after it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

[QUOTE=dusty mears;918154Only critisim is rediculous waste of money putting new stone garden walls in & flagging losing gardens ! Walls could've been cleaned / rebuilt using existing. [/QUOTE]

Without gardens it is more likely to stay looking nice unfortunately.
Old 12-07-2011, 17:09   #29
bzk
Junior Member+

I'm sorry but Burnley Road is a disgrace. To drive on I mean.
For some reason they've resurfaced a small stretch approaching the roundabout at the edge of town, but neglected to re-do the far worse pot-hole laden stretch as it passes Bolton Av and the cemetery.

This road is the gateway into Hyndburn from those driving up from the Manchester area or even further south now that they have an alternative to the M6 with the M60 East.

First thing they will notice is their expensive vehicles being ruined as they drive down Burnley Rd. Then they'll think "forget it, I'm not investing here to be faced with this every time".
bzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 21:47   #30

pity none of the refurb work is being done by local compaines, say no more, you shuld be ashamed HBC
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..