Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2011, 21:54   #31
God Member

Re: Praise! (for a change) - Burnley Rd, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Max cabs.
really or you takin the mick lol no really who owns these houses
Old 19-07-2011, 23:07   #32

hi neil. Sorry gota disagree. Have done this type of work for 13'ish years. 'we' have always made point of encouraging retention of gardens. Dont recall any looking a mess. Some residents have insisted on keeping gardens! One scheme i walk past daily every resident / tenant has 'done' their garden. It looks great. None of em are gardeners but they're all having a do! And i've told em how great it looks.
To add - the walls are stone - new slab walls, new gate posts, new stone walling - very very costly and ? necessary. Particularly after some walls were re-built to be then renewed. And yes disgreaceful NO local contractors !!! And never seen any HBC officers about. And contractor vehicles causing obstructions on burnley rd by insisting on HAVING to park right where they're working - not allowed on my sites!
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 14:57   #33
Bee
I am Banned

Look amazing (the houses).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 13:43   #34

Has anyone else noticed the Old Video shop being demolished on Burnley Road (at corner with Eastgate)? They put scaffolding up recently so I thought they were just replacing the roof at first, but it now looks as though they're dismantling the whole thing by hand.

Anyone know what's going to be there? I hope we don't get left with a hole - that mini forest beside it really doesn't need an extension...
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 16:12   #35
Senior Member+

Me Mum says that she read somewhere that there were gonna be a new furniture store on Burnley Rd but didnt know where-abouts. May be whats going on but dont know for deffinate.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 17:14   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is a crying shame. The area has gone steadily downhill over the years...and just when the people who live there thought they had a chance of being spruced up, the rug is pulled from under them because the funds are no longer there.
I am sure the people of Woodnook feel very let down by the powers that be.
Woodnook was made a conservation area back in the 1970's, we got funding, and money was spent doing the area up, we had several projects brought to a halt, there was 230,000 quid left in the pot, when the gas board, and the water board stepped in, the water board came with an tale that every house had to have its own connection to the mains, even though the water supplies were good, they dug up a lot of the new pavements, justifying their existance. Gas Board did the same, new pipes coming up the front wall of the house, the slipshod repairs they made to the paving, looks like it were done by a chap in a rowing boat.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 19:35   #37

The old video shop was knocked down to single story and left, so it's now without a roof and looking reminiscent of downtown Sirte. It was then painted (that's right, painted after part-demolition?!?!) and subsequently adorned with a for sale sign.

"This building isn't selling."
"Maybe it's too tall... and erm... too waterproof."

The mind boggles.
Old 24-10-2011, 14:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Me Mum says that she read somewhere that there were gonna be a new furniture store on Burnley Rd but didnt know where-abouts. May be whats going on but dont know for deffinate.

the shop that used to be the video shop and then the pram shop at the bottom of burnley road was taken down to a safe level due to a wall being unsafe so the owner has been asked to do this, i beleive there is planning permission to build houses/ flats not seen this in writing but have been told verbally. i beleive the new furniture store is going in the old shop further up burnly road in the same side, used to be a tool hire place
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 10:57   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
really or you takin the mick lol no really who owns these houses
Groove believes these houses to be mainly privately owned as he knows 2 people who own their own propertys on these blocks. Although no doubt a few will be owned by private landlords/
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 22:18   #40
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove believes these houses to be mainly privately owned as he knows 2 people who own their own propertys on these blocks. Although no doubt a few will be owned by private landlords/
Groove, would you PLEASE stop referring yourself in the third person!. It can be very annoying!.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 22:26   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Is it really surprising, I don't give a Tom Tit what Groove believes.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:17   #42

Before I was married I used to live nearly opposite that shop just demolished .In the 50's it was a "gentlemans tailors" and I once saw Bob Lord from Burnley going to buy a suit there.It was called jack (Carrs??) I,m not sure of his last name.I think the new furniture shop is going to be higher up in what also in the 50's was originally Taskers before they moved to Queen Mill.Next to the tailors was Moores spring works between Burnley Road and 'Raggy back'
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:21   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Before I was married I used to live nearly opposite that shop just demolished .In the 50's it was a "gentlemans tailors" and I once saw Bob Lord from Burnley going to buy a suit there.It was called jack (Carrs??) I,m not sure of his last name.I think the new furniture shop is going to be higher up in what also in the 50's was originally Taskers before they moved to Queen Mill.Next to the tailors was Moores spring works between Burnley Road and 'Raggy back'
also Pembertons Estate Agents Dave.I lived burnley Rd on block below melbourne st in the early 50s n then moved to Dowry St just behing the Boars Head.

Last edited by cashman; 05-11-2011 at 18:23.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:23   #44
Senior Member+

What is happening to that eyesore at the bottom of Burnley Road where you turn left at the lights?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 17:44   #45

^^ Read the above - looks like they're trying to sell the land for development/building.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..