Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 16:00   #136
Resting In Peace

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I have to say this will be the first time I would love him to win because he's playing for GB not himself
As for last night, the other half wanted to watch the games, so I did have the odd glance at what was happeningwow some performances from GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
One down!!!!!!

One more to go...C'mon Andy and Laura - let's hope the lad has some energy left
Yep - have to say the lad done good so far... just wish he would look a bit more pleased/happy animated about it. Must be hard having to come out again soon and play all over again.

I've been watching all week on and off on my lap top, the BBC website has been marvellous - you can more or less watch what you want when you want, live, catch up, whatever, and there's tons of information about all the sports and when they're on.

Have to admit to enjoying the weightlifting - tiny women about my size lifting more than twice their bodyweight - gobsmacking. Also the big men!!

Doing well so far in medal terms - it's good to see that we're keeping our end up and putting on a good show.
Old 05-08-2012, 16:27   #137
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Double or quits....
Very pleased yeh won the bet Di.
Old 05-08-2012, 17:30   #138
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I can just imagine the face you were pulling when you posted that cashy
Old 05-08-2012, 18:45   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Quids in!

Have to admit now to cheating

When I looked in my crystal ball in January as well as a Wimbledon final I saw flecks of gold and silver -thought it just need dusting and failed to interpret the signs correctly...

Wasted a fortune sending it in for an MOT after the failure to deliver at the Wimbledon Grand Slam final...

Should be getting it back soon from my trusty magic maintenance man at Alibaba.com -he tried a ruse, offering me a modern amethyst sphere -making it out to be worth more than my family heirloom. Said it could increase my psychic powers...no problem with my mental prowess, just need to polish my glasses from time to time

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51   #140
God Member

Back down to earth after my giddiness at Murray's gold -brilliant match -ironic he should finish on three aces after struggling with his serve for most of the match.

Federer was never in the match and accepted defeat with his usual grace.

Didn't mention Del Potro -superlative tennis from him and the Bronze was rightly his -could almost have been in the final.

Love the attached photo of Murray...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murray.jpg (71.7 KB, 4 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 06-08-2012 at 07:52. Reason: Adding a bit.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Back down to earth after my giddiness at Murray's gold -brilliant match -ironic he should finish on three aces after struggling with his serve for most of the match.

Federer was never in the match and accepted defeat with his usual grace.

Didn't mention Del Potro -superlative tennis from him and the Bronze was rightly his -could almost have been in the final.

Love the attached photo of Murray...
Ya good photo, frame it, it could be the last one you'll see in that pose
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44   #142
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya good photo, frame it, it could be the last one you'll see in that pose
As your probably aware Team GB men's and woman's football teams are out in the quarter finals!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22   #143
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
As your probably aware Team GB men's and woman's football teams are out in the quarter finals!
And what's that got to do with the price of fish
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Have been focussing on the Tennis and Athletics myself -my Italian family members are following just about anything with an Italian in - lots of things with swords and guns as far as i can tell so far. The footie leaves me unmoved I'm afraid but I have enjoyed some of the gymnastics, horse riding events, Cycling and swimming -the diving's great to watch and quite enjoy a bit of synchronised swimming too...

There are some sports that i didn't know existed at the Olympics e.g. Trampolining?! Beach volley I don't appreciate either...

Anyone know why there is no Rugby or Cricket?

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-08-2012, 10:42   #145
God Member

Quote:

Because there is a limit to the amount of pain any population can be expected to endure in any two week period.

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-08-2012 at 10:46.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:18   #146
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Not played by enough countries world wide I would say. Olympic sports come and go:

A sport or discipline is included in the Olympic program if the IOC determines it is widely practiced around the world, that is, the number of countries that compete in a given sport is the indicator of the sport's prevalence. The IOC's requirements reflect participation in the Olympic Games as well — more stringent toward men (as they are represented in higher numbers) and Summer sports (as more nations compete in the Summer Olympics).

Can't imagine many host countries having a decent cricket pitch.

Even if sports are included, not every country takes part: GB is only in football because the games are in London. Before that it was 1960 when they last competed. And tennis, although in years ago, was out till 1988.

Trampolining is only in since 2000 and I wonder how long things like BMX and mountain biking will last.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29   #147
God Member

That all seems fair enough - but is BMX riding a sport? They'll be having skate-boarding next!

My boys were watching clay pigeon shooting yesterday -an Italian woman won it - I think that has to be just about the most boring thing to watch -I'm sure it's very skillful -but boring! I did enjoy watching the Archery though...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-08-2012, 11:47   #148
God Member

Tennis medals -great photo - and Murray did sing the National Anthem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tennis medals.jpg (51.7 KB, 4 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-08-2012, 17:24   #149
Resting in Peace

Just clocked up another gold according to Ceefax, 18 now
Old 06-08-2012, 19:29   #150

By my calculations, thanks to Boltonian Jason Kenny, Lancashire is above the likes of Australia and Japan in the medals table.

OK, I'm counting Bradley Wiggins as a honourary Lancastrian.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..