Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2012, 23:01   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
It gets worse - the commentator's just said the drummers are not actually banging the buckets/drums... they're made of plastic. So the noise must be recorded.

Oh dear - team GB have just appeared - in outfits decorated with bits of gold foil... The Queen still looking stony faced... not surprised.
She was picking her finger nails and looking at her hands as the team GB burst out onto the scene!

The TV transmission seemed a bit disjointed when it showed footage shot at another location - I take it that this footage was shown on big screens to the live audience in the stadium?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2012, 23:05   #92
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
She was picking her finger nails and looking at her hands as the team GB burst out onto the scene!

The TV transmission seemed a bit disjointed when it showed footage shot at another location - I take it that this footage was shown on big screens to the live audience in the stadium?
Yes Kes - very confusing... There were big screens round the top of the stadium.

Now we have Arctic Monkeys - why? Completely broken the atmosphere - sure the Queen wants to go to bed.

Doves of peace on bicycles now... music is Come Together...
Old 27-07-2012, 23:13   #93
God Member

So it was all pretty naff -my husband didn't understand most of it despite Italian comentary and my attempts at explanation. God knows what they thought about it in Rwanda or Guam or the Congo...

After half an hour of feeling faintly embarassed I began to understand where it was coming from -until it turned from the hard-working ethic of the British Isles to the youth culture of today based on TV and technology.

As Susie said: thank goodness the athletes started to enter into the Stadium at that point - All the world in a Stadium- globalisation in its essence- a celebration of humanity.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 23:45   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes Kes - very confusing... There were big screens round the top of the stadium.

Now we have Arctic Monkeys - why? Completely broken the atmosphere - sure the Queen wants to go to bed.

Doves of peace on bicycles now... music is Come Together...
That's what I thougth why Arctic Monkeys - Kasabian would have been better in my book!

Then after all the high pomp lighting that caldron - up pops Macca like a bad smell - surely they should have something else other than Macca singing "Hey Jude!"
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 23:50   #95
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
So it was all pretty naff -my husband didn't understand most of it despite Italian comentary and my attempts at explanation. God knows what they thought about it in Rwanda or Guam or the Congo...

After half an hour of feeling faintly embarassed I began to understand where it was coming from -until it turned from the hard-working ethic of the British Isles to the youth culture of today based on TV and technology.

As Susie said: thank goodness the athletes started to enter into the Stadium at that point - All the world in a Stadium- globalisation in its essence- a celebration of humanity.
Dianne, embarrassing is a word I hadn't quite got around to but it's very fitting.

Hope no one minded my running commentary...

The athletes' parade was interesting in that there were so many small countries and groups of islands that one never hears about - and some of the costumes were amazing and very colourful. The best thing was seeing the happy smiling faces of the participants.

We've had the lighting of the flame... I thought the design of the cauldron was stunning and very imaginative - but then I am an admirer of its designer Thomas Heatherwick. Was only thinking yesterday I hadn't heard of him for a while - now I know what he's been up to.

It should all have finished there but it's STILL GOING... nobody seems to know how to pack it up.

We've now got Paul Macartney for heaven's sake... and Hey Jude my least favourite Beatles song. Pack it in Paul, you look and sound terrible, time to give up the day job.

Sue Barker just said she thought it was an immensely funny evening -too true but not quite in the way she meant.

It's over - thank goodness.
Old 28-07-2012, 00:05   #96
God Member

Didn't have the British commentary but like you(Susie) thought the design of the cauldron and the Olympic flame truly represents each nation, though lit through the Olympions of the past nominating a young athlete to carry their light to the new games -very evocative.

Great fireworks -but then I'm a fan.

The representation of Brit music was also well done - even the Sex Pistols represented!

Tried to be too "Hollywood", having the Queen as a Bond girl, though it made me smile, then Beckham speedboating it up the Thames with a winning smile was just too much...no doubt Posh will be having erotic dreams about it tonight...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 08:31   #97
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

Now if they reverted back to that sort of performance I might well be interested.
You must be older than me to remember the original Olympic games, I was of course meaning the 'Modern' Olympics.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 08:43   #98
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
The Queen is never allowed out without her gloves on! Has she chewed through the finger tips in embarrased frustration to be able to do that?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 08:50   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Very funny Margaret...

I was expecting Bilbo Baggins and the hobbit clan to jump out of that grass mound (Glastonbury Tor) but we did have a gold ring that turned into 5 (symbol of the 5 elements) so we got close to Lord of the Rings!
Well there was no Bilbo Baggins and not a sight of a hobbit, were you otherwise engaged
Old 28-07-2012, 08:53   #100
Resting in Peace

Thought the lighting of the flame was quite good and a bit different
Old 28-07-2012, 11:09   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thought the lighting of the flame was quite good and a bit different
Yes it was brilliant but made into a complete anticlimax when Paul Macartney appeared afterwards. Should have finished on a high - he was embarrassing.

I didn't realise a law had been passed that he had to be wheeled out on every significant national celebration.
Old 28-07-2012, 12:09   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes it was brilliant but made into a complete anticlimax when Paul Macartney appeared afterwards. Should have finished on a high - he was embarrassing.

I didn't realise a law had been passed that he had to be wheeled out on every significant national celebration.
Just said that on another thread
Old 28-07-2012, 12:33   #103
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yes John too many threads already on this subject.
Old 28-07-2012, 12:38   #104

Quote:
. . . and so did I! We really must stop meeting this way.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:41   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
. . . and so did I! We really must stop meeting this way.
Um people will start to talk Michael

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..