Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2012, 20:23   #76

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

I have declared my house an olympic free zone - but it's very difficult to escape from when you turn the telly on - the thought of the next few weeks makes a little rainy cloud appear over my head!
I appreciate the dedication, skill and talent of our athletes even though I'm not at all interested, but I suppose that's my problem and I do wish them every success.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2012, 20:43   #77
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes it would, or even better do away with this trash, it will only become more & more expensive for each Country wanting to be the host, I don't think that is the meaning at the heart of the Olympic games.
My point exactly Less.

Been watching for 40 minutes, haven't stopped cringeing yet. Now got the NHS bit, nurses rock and rolling, dressed in frilly frocks, pinnies and hats. Don't they know what a real nurse looks like these days?

Kes, they do it at night so they can get lighting effects when it's dark, also presumably to attract the crowds who wouldn't come during the day. And they have been having events all day already.

Oh god now it's Harry Potter. Pass the sick bag! All truly incomprehensible.
Old 27-07-2012, 21:10   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
My point exactly Less.

Been watching for 40 minutes, haven't stopped cringeing yet. Now got the NHS bit, nurses rock and rolling, dressed in frilly frocks, pinnies and hats. Don't they know what a real nurse looks like these days?

Kes, they do it at night so they can get lighting effects when it's dark, also presumably to attract the crowds who wouldn't come during the day. And they have been having events all day already.

Serves yeh right fer watching. apart from "Poirot" on ITV3 fer n hour out tellys bin off all day.
Old 27-07-2012, 21:18   #79
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
apart from "Poirot" on ITV3 fer n hour out tellys bin off all day.
Put another 10 bob in the meter, you skinflint !
Old 27-07-2012, 21:18   #80
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Serves yeh right fer watching. apart from "Poirot" on ITV3 fer n hour out tellys bin off all day.
Not really watching Cashy, more listening with it on in the background. It is truly dreadful, they haven't shown the Queen, presumably she isn't looking very happy. They had a young lad singing Jerusalem, he was good, now someone's singing Abide with me -flat as a pancake.

Would probably have watched Poirot instead if I hadn't seen them all umpteen times (got the boxed set).
Old 27-07-2012, 21:21   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Put Gold on radio susie,much better background noise.
Old 27-07-2012, 21:23   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
My point exactly Less.

It was OK for about 1 hour then I started thinking what's this got to do with Sport really? I suppose it's about selling the history of the country.

We've already had some Men's and Women's football and archery before the ceremony. They should have had a national day off or something for the opening day ceremony and then start the sport.

That James Bond (pouting Daniel Graig) bit was a bit stupid - of course it wasn't the Queen jumping out the helicopter and I bet Graig didn't even jump out insurance too high!

Good point suzie and Less!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 21:24   #83
Resting In Peace

Thank goodness that's over - the athletes are coming in now. That's what it's all about. Just showed the Queen - looks like it's past her bedtime - or she's very bored...
Old 27-07-2012, 21:24   #84
Senior Member+

Why have the BBC got all those channels dedicated to the Olympics. For those of us who are not interested can we have a rebate on our licence?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 21:24   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Put another 10 bob in the meter, you skinflint !
ha ha ha! Is that the Electric Meter or the TV Meter ( remember pay by view TV's, they had a slot box in the back for coins.)
Old 27-07-2012, 21:33   #86
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
ha ha ha! Is that the Electric Meter or the TV Meter ( remember pay by view TV's, they had a slot box in the back for coins.)
I meant the telly one, remember as a kid on Holidays at Stalag Butlins or some such in the 70's, the Telly scoffed the ackers like no ones business. (and being as it was probably a rainy & windswept North Walesian location, there wasn't a lot else to do.......try it nowadays & social services would be impounding your Kids ............. hhhmmmm, now there's a thought )
Old 27-07-2012, 22:02   #87
God Member

I was getting a running commentary on an international forum I use

I paste below comments made -

"I'm waiting for the parade of knife wielding chavs clutching bottles of buckfast tonic wine. Yeah i agree so far it's full of sterotypes and it's embarrassing

I'm kind of seeing rich bankers destroy country...nothing new

I could do with not seeing the "dancing industrialists" and their weak moves again. They're like dads dancing at a wedding

Christ, this is embarassing. British people aren't really like this. Honest!

England, I'm sorry, but this is like watching Blazing Saddles. I can't get anything but amused....and I'm laughing as I'm typing here and watching on the other screen. It's all to over the top stereotype and over the top absurd.God... laughing is all I can do.

So what are all the hospital beds symbolizing? Future plague or something? Really bizarre....

Oh..there is Mary Poppins.. ...flying in with umbrellas. (I wish I were kidding)

LOL. I see a paedo with a chariot collecting kids.

About the tree of life symbology definetely could tie in with peter pans neverland where any humans go there live forever. The dancing with the kids on trampling beds and nurses is crazy, now there dark ninjas and what seems like a 100 foot grim reaper conducting the choreography , now dozens of marry poppens flating around and ninja backflip mahen,, they look like ninjas,, the freak did i just see?

It's taken a bit of a dark turn. There's now a 40-foot paedo, and nurses making weird handsigns. No idea what all this is about.

I was joking when I said I expected Mary Poppins to appear at any moment. It was a laugh at the extreme, goofy..corny stereo typing.

She really DID come...following a BUNCH of little Dick Van Dykes flying in on unbrellas. (slaps forehead)If only I were kidding.. I wish I were.

chariots of fire ...classic but with mr.bean good god they desperate

What is this guys? It's cultural or something. I don't recognize anything but to say it looks like an English version of High School Musical or something

rocket guys with jet packs.....popping glitter bombs...and thats absolutely all the meaning I got from that? What am I missing? This has to make more sense for the British here, doesn't it?

Jack in the box guy after a bender??

Vomit time. Damn, this is gross."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 22:17   #88
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

"I'm waiting for the parade of knife wielding chavs clutching bottles of buckfast tonic wine. Yeah i agree so far it's full of sterotypes and it's embarrassing

I could do with not seeing the "dancing industrialists" and their weak moves again. They're like dads dancing at a wedding

England, I'm sorry, but this is like watching Blazing Saddles. I can't get anything but amused....and I'm laughing as I'm typing here and watching on the other screen. It's all to over the top stereotype and over the top absurd.God... laughing is all I can do.

So what are all the hospital beds symbolizing? Future plague or something? Really bizarre....

Oh..there is Mary Poppins.. ...flying in with umbrellas. (I wish I were kidding)

About the tree of life symbology definetely could tie in with peter pans neverland where any humans go there live forever. The dancing with the kids on trampling beds and nurses is crazy, now there dark ninjas and what seems like a 100 foot grim reaper conducting the choreography , now dozens of marry poppens flating around and ninja backflip mahen,, they look like ninjas,, the freak did i just see?

It's taken a bit of a dark turn. There's now a 40-foot paedo, and nurses making weird handsigns. No idea what all this is about.

I was joking when I said I expected Mary Poppins to appear at any moment. It was a laugh at the extreme, goofy..corny stereo typing.

She really DID come...following a BUNCH of little Dick Van Dykes flying in on unbrellas. (slaps forehead)If only I were kidding.. I wish I were.

What is this guys? It's cultural or something. I don't recognize anything but to say it looks like an English version of High School Musical or something

rocket guys with jet packs.....popping glitter bombs...and thats absolutely all the meaning I got from that? What am I missing? This has to make more sense for the British here, doesn't it?

Yep Margaret it really was that bad. And we've still got thousands of people drumming on upturned buckets...
Old 27-07-2012, 22:31   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Very funny Margaret...

I was expecting Bilbo Baggins and the hobbit clan to jump out of that grass mound (Glastonbury Tor) but we did have a gold ring that turned into 5 (symbol of the 5 elements) so we got close to Lord of the Rings!
Old 27-07-2012, 22:58   #90
Resting In Peace

It gets worse - the commentator's just said the drummers are not actually banging the buckets/drums... they're made of plastic. So the noise must be recorded.

Oh dear - team GB have just appeared - in outfits decorated with bits of gold foil... The Queen still looking stony faced... not surprised.

Commentator said Danny Boyle wanted all this to be on so late so he could do clever things with lighting.

Last edited by susie123; 27-07-2012 at 23:07.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..