Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD/TV/Film Discussion (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/)
-   -   Worlds scariest plane landings, channel 5 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f134/worlds-scariest-plane-landings-channel-5-a-60388.html)

Barrie Yates 16-01-2012 14:21

Re: Worlds scariest plane landings, channel 5

As for scariest landings - well Kai Tak will always get my vote, without any plane/weather/aircrew problems - one approach took you below the tops of the skyscrapers on either side of the plane

DaveinGermany 16-01-2012 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 962866)
You didn't mention the modern toilet facilities. :eek:

Bottled it. ;)

Boeing Guy 16-01-2012 17:13

Kai Tak, one of the hardest approaches in the world. That's why they closed it. Los Angeles had a similar approach.
Here in Europe we have Chambery, mountain at one end!
Geneva in a valley, mountains both sides amongst others. I must admit Geneva takes a bit of getting used to.
But for me Baghdad has one of the worst approaches in the world. You go overhead the airport at 15000 ft, then corkscrew in. Makes you sick, well nearly!

cashman 16-01-2012 18:30

Flew to Lourdes in 72 i think. first timer then, was told twas a very dodgy landing place,yet not 1 plane had ever crashed either too or from yon, Dunno if they were winding me up or not, Perhaps Boeing Guy would know?:confused:

MargaretR 16-01-2012 18:48

The island of La Palma in the Canaries has an airstrip on a very narrow strip of land next to the sea.

The island reminded me of a piece of Toblerone sticking up out of the Atlantic - so the tiny flat section must have been man made.

Gordon Booth 16-01-2012 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 962892)
But for me Baghdad has one of the worst approaches in the world. You go overhead the airport at 15000 ft, then corkscrew in. Makes you sick, well nearly!

Boeing Guy, wasn't that brought in for security from ground fired missiles?
If so it must be a tight corkscrew, I can imagine that's quite unpleasant!

MargaretR 16-01-2012 19:09

I think my memory was tricking me - the airport I mentioned two posts ago was Madiera not La Palma, although La Palma is on a narrow strip next to the sea too.

This video corrected my memory (second airport shown)

10 Worlds Most Dangerous Airports - YouTube

Boeing Guy 16-01-2012 19:18

Sport on Gordon, it was put in place after the attack on a DHL Airbus.
Cashy, not too sure about Lourdes, been in one or twice. But you could say the same about many places.

mobertol 16-01-2012 20:52

Tenerife Norte Los Rodeos is not fun in fog. Sur Reina is OK once you've done it a few times and know how they veer round to it so steeply over the sea. Mum's house is on the flight path so I've seen them come in a million times now...

Flew in and out of Nice once on Easyjet which was "interesting".

Coming into Milan Malpensa over the alps in spring when it's cold over the mountains and hot over the plain is quite scary as the plane can suddenly plummet with the change in temp. at least that's what i though it must be!

My first ever time in Italy (1986) on Alitalia -was horrified when all the passengers jumped up clapping when we landed - i though "Oh, my god perhaps they don't always make it." Mind you the Italians clap at weddings when the bride and groom kiss -just like an excuse to make a fuss I reckon:D

Not likely to fly to Bagdhad, but where is Kai Tak then I can avoid it;)

Boeing Guy 16-01-2012 21:03

Kai Tak was the old Homg Kong Airport, very hairy, not nice.
As to Malpensa, nice airport, I used to go in there once a week.

To be honest Heathrow can be quite intensive.
When you get down to sub Sahara the quality of airports and navigational aids can make for a interesting day. On the plus side, you are generally the only aircraft in 200miles!!

mobertol 16-01-2012 21:07

Will never complain about having to park in Cremona town center ever again!;):D

Stevie R 16-01-2012 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 962944)
Tenerife Norte Los Rodeos is not fun in fog. Sur Reina is OK once you've done it a few times and know how they veer round to it so steeply over the sea. Mum's house is on the flight path so I've seen them come in a million times now...

Is that Golf Del Sur Dianne?

mobertol 17-01-2012 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 962955)
Is that Golf Del Sur Dianne?

Near there Steve -they live in Callao Selvaje, a little village near adeje but on the coast. Do you know the area?

jaysay 17-01-2012 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 962967)
Near there Steve -they live in Callao Selvaje, a little village near adeje but on the coast. Do you know the area?

Didn't they build a new airport in Tenerife, after a plain crash there quite a long time ago:confused:

Boeing Guy 17-01-2012 10:30

Tenerife airport disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia