Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2008, 19:01   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pedigree Dogs

ours is 11 yr old minature schnauzer n when paris bought him as a puppy, her best mate who also has one, was telling her she should have its tail docked, she refused n i'm well glad, its part of his character, n he has always been far more lively than her mates, besides hes a pet NOT a bloody fancy showdog to massage some anoraks ego.
Old 20-08-2008, 09:21   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
That is just so sad. Who ever was responsible for the intensive breeding, that resulted in that poor animal, wants locking up. God knows what the breed is, it looks a bit like a Mexican Hairless, but that sort of freakishness comes out of inbreeding. All for "fashion" too.

I think its a chinese crested (hairless) or looks like a very poor example to me.

That is a better example of the breed
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 09:24   #18
Senior Member+

I used to show dogs when I was younger, cant do it now for many reasons (and not having a dog is one of them lol) but not all breeders are the same, although they can sometimes be closely bred, the medical problems which the breed are aware of are more often than not avoided. If a dog has a known problem, be it heart, back, sight etc then it is not bred from.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 09:50   #19
Resting in Peace

Didn't watch the program myself, but the alter a dog just for show purposes is wrong to me, an example I saw on TV yesterday morning was a Pug (I think) which through inter breading the poor little sods can't breath properly and if they get excited pass out, this can't be right in my eyes, to inter bread dogs just for show purposes is totally wrong
Old 20-08-2008, 09:55   #20
God Member

If people stopped buying them, the breeders would stop breeding them.
Buyers would think twice if they realised what vet bills they were letting themselves in for.
That programme will have informed some who might have bought - good thing to screen it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 13:58   #21
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Pedigree Dogs

One woman in that programme admitted that she spends £40,00 per year on vets’ fees for her show dog.

And some dog breeders dismissed outright the accusation of poor health etc caused by the way they breed dogs.

I understand that there is a similar problem with cats but not with horses. I’m sure that some cat lover or horsey person will jump at the chance to tell me I’m wrong, if I am.

Even a spokesperson for the Kennel Club wouldn’t accept that if the rules were changed it would make a difference. His excuse was that breeders would still carry on breeding as they do but the Kennel Club would lose contact with the breeders, or should that be bleeders.

If the Kennel Club took the lead and changed their rules to prevent father to daughter breeding or sibling breeding etc in the same way that human breeding is not allowed, then the breeders would have to fall in line.

It seems to me that the Kennel Club is scared of losing its status in the doggy world.
Old 20-08-2008, 14:09   #22
God Member

I saw a couple of minutes of the programme but found it too hard to watch. The spaniels with brains too big for their skulls in agony was horrifying. I hope some reform somewhere can be made to help these poor animals.

Barrow in Furness has a similar problem I understand.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..