Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2008, 12:51   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Pedigree Dogs

A programme tonight at 9:00pm on BBC1 exposes the sorry saga of pedigree dog breeding.

Breeding dogs for a specific task like a sheep dog, sniffer dog, rescue dog, sleigh pulling dog, a seeing or hearing dog is OK by me. But to breed a dog just to show and win prizes is totally wrong, especially, as has been revealed, that in doing so genetic weaknesses are being bred into the animals to their detriment.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:13   #2

Re: Pedigree Dogs

Parliament is on summer holidays so the BBC turns to dog breeding to fill in
air time.

I just heard a word about this on the box this morning and
Boxers and Cavies were singled out as having grate hereditary heart problems
and that breeders were not taking care !!!!! makes my blood boil
Most reputable boxer breeders/show people all breed from sound heart tested boxers all are found on the UK heart testing site A heart score of between O&2 Are what should be bred from anything higher than a H2 shouldnt be and that is the dame and the sire.If people who buy a pedigree dog keep it as a family pet and not see it as a money making machine from breeding it,most health problems wouldnt arise

I also see they have interviewed RSPCA chief vet Mark Evans
will be interesting to see what he has to say

Last edited by Polly_45; 19-08-2008 at 14:15.
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 14:37   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

I have no problem with dogs being bred for the "best" points of their breed as long as the breed hasn't become something barely natural. The poor bulldog springs to mind; bred, over many generations, for a flat muzzle and severe underbite (and breathing problems) and narrow hind quarters (and whelping problems). This is "fancying" that's gone too far. There are plenty of other examples but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you.

I also don't like tail docking and I'm pleased to see one of my favourite breeds, the Cocker Spaniel, is now often seen with a natural tail, though I don't know if the Kennel Club has accepted it yet. The reason for docking the spaniel's tail - so as not to get it entangled in undergrowth when retrieving game - never did sit easy with me, bearing in mind the spaniel's long, easily tangled, ears, And, yes, I've had spaniels - and with docked tails.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:49   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I also don't like tail docking and I'm pleased to see one of my favourite breeds, the Cocker Spaniel, is now often seen with a natural tail, though I don't know if the Kennel Club has accepted it yet.
Defra, UK - Animal Health and Welfare - Animal Welfare - Draft Animal Welfare Bill - Circus Welfare Working Group

Quote:
Tail Docking

This information applies to England only.
The docking of dogs’ tails has been banned in England since 6 April 2007.
There are exemptions from the ban for certain types of working dog, or where docking is performed for medical treatment.
There is also a ban on the showing of dogs docked after this date at events where members of the public have paid an entrance fee. This ban does not apply where a dog is shown only for the purpose of demonstrating its working ability.
The exemption allows certain types of working dog to have their tails docked by a veterinary surgeon. The dog has to be no more than 5 days old and the veterinary surgeon must certify that he or she has seen evidence that the dog is likely to work in one of the specified areas.
Owners and keepers wishing to have a working dog’s tail docked must ensure that this is undertaken in accordance with the law.
To access the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and The Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (England) Regulations 2007 visit the Office of Public Sector Information.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 14:57   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

That's interesting, thanks, Emamum. I wonder how many spaniel owners, who use the dogs as gun-dogs, still have the tails docked for working purposes. I still think it's unnecessary.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:59   #6
Senior Member+

tbh i thought it had been illegal for a while. I remember my grandma docking her pups herself in secret....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 19-08-2008, 18:00   #7

Tail docking came into force on 3rd April 2007
This ban affected every docked breed very sad day it was for all breeders exhibiters and owners of any working dog.
The powers that be now want to ban the removal of dew claws.
i would like to see these people who back these laws in a vets office when a tail needs either to be stitched or removed through injury.
I adore my breed for what they are and what characters they are,all mine are docked and ive had no litters since the docking ban came into force
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 18:08   #8
God Member

...and people on here call themselves animal lovers!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 18:13   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Polly, I've had many a dog with an undocked tail. The police and the forces often use German Shepherds whose tails are never docked and have you ever seen a de-tailed sheep dog? Tails don't seem to get injured any more than other parts of the dog and having a natural tail doesn't alter a dog's character.
Old 19-08-2008, 18:17   #10
Senior Member+

i doubt its illegal if it needs doing because of injury.. Dogs were born with tails, they dont hurt them or affect their lives so they should keep them.

Old 19-08-2008, 18:25   #11
God Member

Breeding for specific visual traits is genetic engineering at a basic level.
It goes against the principles of natural selection which has been the basis of evolution of all life forms on this planet.

The penalties paid for this tinkering are health problems.
I do not approve of the dog shows which have perpetuated this fashion for certain visual traits.
It is legalised animal cruelty.

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-08-2008 at 18:29.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 18:26   #12
Give, give, give member

'Who you callin' a freak?'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 18:39   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

LMAO....that face reminds me of someone i know....*cough, cough*
Old 19-08-2008, 18:48   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

That is just so sad. Who ever was responsible for the intensive breeding, that resulted in that poor animal, wants locking up. God knows what the breed is, it looks a bit like a Mexican Hairless, but that sort of freakishness comes out of inbreeding. All for "fashion" too.
Old 19-08-2008, 18:52   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Sphynx cat are just as bad!....now who came up with that!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..