Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 15:22   #1

Rules of engagement

I've been a member for a while, but have had problems finding out how this site works. After a lot of searching (on many occasions) I finally managed to suss out what "karma" and "power" mean (in terms of the AccyWeb).

I did a search of the FAQs and nothing came up for either of these topics. I finally found a very helpful post from Len, but it wasn't until I had wasted quite a lot of time looking for answers and then it was in a closed topic, so I couldn't ask any questions of my own.

There is a lot I am still puzzled about. For instance, what do the different colours of names mean in the listing of recent visitors to the site?

I wondered if it might be a good idea to add a few FAQs to the list, including, "What is karma?", "What is power?", "How to start a new thread" and other such topics. I did a search of the FAQs and nothing came up for any of these subjects.

Or even better, could we not have a "Help" tab (like most major browsers do) with a search facility and a list of all the details users might want/need to know to make their use of the site easier and more efficient? Or does it already exist? If so, can someone please make it a bit more obvious.

If it is already there, and I have been too thick to find it, then please forgive me and tell me where to find it.

I don't have time to visit the site very often, but I do enjoy it whenever I can.

Thanks.

Tricia

Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2006, 16:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Rules of engagement

I haven't been on here for that long. I found most things out by asking the lovely, friendly people on here.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 16:20   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Hi Tricia.

Using the normal search function instead of FAQs will throw up a multitude of threads where karma etc has been discussed. Just for you here is a quick run down of Accyweb..

Karma = a reward system bestowed by other members for a good, funny, helpful post. Karma can also be deducted so watch out..

Power = denotes how much karma a person can give to you. Your power increases the longer you are a member, the more you post and the more karma you have yourself. Power doesn't usually kick in until you have 100 posts on the forum, not including the Anything Goes section.

Ackers = Accywebs very own currency. The more you post, the more ackers you earn. You can gamble them in the Accyweb bookies or spend them in the Accyweb shops (when/if they are up and running again). You could buy different coloured user names etc with your ackers.

User names = Some of our names come up on the who has visited the site list in different colours. I'll try to get this straight
Thin black = member
Thick black = moderator
Thin green = member who has donated to the forum but has less than 1,000 posts
Thick green = member who has donated but has more than 1,000 posts
yellow/gold = member who won an Accyweb award (see Anything Goes section)

Donations = It is possible to make a donation to Accyweb for the upkeep and running of the site. As a reward for making a donation you receive extra perks. Underneath your User Name you will see that yours currently says 'junior member'. Mine says something different because one of the extra perks is that I can change mine whenever the fancy takes me.

I hope that I have managed to clarify a few things for you (and that I've got it right)

If you have any more questions then jump into the Questions and Answers part of the forum and ask away...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 17:19   #4
Resident Waffler

I know I can be a bit dim at times and I'm very keen on recycling but I never thought of myself as a thick green person until you pointed that out Gayle.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 17:24   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I know I can be a bit dim at times and I'm very keen on recycling but I never thought of myself as a thick green person until you pointed that out Gayle.

Gayle?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 17:26   #6
Resident Waffler

oops. Just illustrating the first point of the statement there Less!

Old 06-10-2006, 18:45   #7
God Member

Anyone like to tell me why I've been brought into this?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 18:46   #8
Resident Waffler

Cos I can't read.

Old 06-10-2006, 18:51   #9
God Member

So then yes, thick green member is appropriate!

Sorry Willow, only joking.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 13:22   #10

AccyJay says: "I found most things out by asking the lovely, friendly people on here."

Exactly - which is why I started this thread.

And my heartfelt thanks to Lettie for her very helpful post. If I could award you a karma point I would!

Some people have suggested that searching the site is the answer. As I explained in my original post, I have done that many times and not really found much that was relevant until I came across Len's post yesterday.

I still think that a clear and succinct explanation (along the lines of Lettie's post) which could be easily found in one central place would be extremely helpful, especially to newcomers and people who just don't have the time to spend doing long-winded searches.

But if the moderators disagree, who am I to talk? I know how difficult it can be to be a moderator.

Tricia
Old 07-10-2006, 15:21   #11
Resting in Peace

no you have searched FAQ not the site search please read my pm
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 16:53   #12

You are right that I did look in FAQs first, because I thought that would be the obvious place to find what I needed. But I also did a general search of the site, as witnessed by the fact that I eventually found Len's post.

I really am not trying to be difficult. My idea was supposed to be a helpful suggestion. It would help me, and I am sure it would help other new users.

It's just that I'm having a hard time finding my way around. At your suggestion in your private mail, I just did another sample search on the topic of Karma, and came up with a list of 20 different threads (yes - complete _threads_, not just individual posts!).

Having some time to spare today, I thought I would do the job properly and tried to sift through them, but mostly all I found was simple references to people having their karma deducted or added to. Hardly anything about how the system actually works. It just proved that I was right when I said it was a time-consuming and not very rewarding exercise.

I love this site. Don’t get me wrong. But I don’t find it very user friendly.

For instance, after reading Lettie's post, I did a search of FAQs to find out how I can make a donation and, guess what? “Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.” In this case, a search of the site came up with 98 (!) threads. And the few I have dipped into were completely irrelevant to site donations.

I would have thought it would be in the best interests of everyone involved to make this facility easy to find.

I do very much enjoy this site and wish I had time to visit it more often, but I would, I am sure, enjoy it a lot more if I knew more about it.

Tricia

PS That's me banging my head against a brick wall, not me being angry :-(
Old 07-10-2006, 17:18   #13

Perhap's you have found a place for yourself here on accyweb then Tricia, sorting through the many posts and putting them in order for the next lot of people that come on expecting everything to be done for them?

Yes, I know that's a bit harsh isn't it? But so is your criticism.
Accyweb is an ever expanding thing, but with patience (and by asking nicely), you might just get the hang of it. When they get the chance the mod's and admin' do put sticky threads on site, members as proved by lettie will also help but even if all the other sections of the site where removed and just one big sign was there saying,

For Help Press Here!

There would still be people saying it's difficult to navigate.

If when you do a search for something try wording it differently if you don't find something straight away.

But mainly I think you should stop fussing and just give us some input we'll probably all enjoy it, You have done some searching so you know there are plenty of subjects to choose from and there always seems to be room for a few more.

Last edited by Less; 07-10-2006 at 17:22.
Old 07-10-2006, 18:00   #14
Senior Member+

I can see both sides of this arguement. It would be helpful if there was a tab at the top of the page where all the information could be found.

However, i found that if i had a problem, then there was always somebody ready to help if i just asked. This made me feel welcome & a part of the Accrington Web community.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 18:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
I can see both sides of this arguement. It would be helpful if there was a tab at the top of the page where all the information could be found.

However, i found that if i had a problem, then there was always somebody ready to help if i just asked. This made me feel welcome & a part of the Accrington Web community.

Yes, and in an ideal world there could well be such a device, but what must be remembered is that accyweb is set up and worked without making a profit so the admin' and the moderators give their time for nothing, so although you aren't the first and perhaps won't be the last to make suggestions to improve the site, they all have their own lives and livings to take care of before anything else can be done and all these things have to be prioritised to fit in with them, not to to have them jumping through a hoop just answering to the whims of others.

As you have proved yourself, if people ask, other people will willingly try to help, new ideas and improvements are discussed behind the scenes by the mod's etc. and are fitted in when and where it is convenient or needed.

The biggest help any newbie can give is to search first, if you can't find it, try different phrases or terminology after that, ask politely, but always remember you are talking to a fellow member that is here and willing to help.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..