Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   weather?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/weather-29920.html)

Margaret Pilkington 04-07-2007 13:29

Re: weather??

We looked at the River Hyndburn yesterday...it was fast flowing and full, but there was still a good way before it reached the top of the culvert......that was down Bull Bridge.
OK....so i know we have had a lot of rain since then.
And yesterday I surfed down Riley's Hill on a wave of rainwater.

Eric 04-07-2007 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 444269)
We looked at the River Hyndburn yesterday...it was fast flowing and full, but there was still a good way before it reached the top of the culvert......that was down Bull Bridge.
OK....so i know we have had a lot of rain since then.
And yesterday I surfed down Riley's Hill on a wave of rainwater.

The Hyndburn? Is that the river that I knew as the River Stink when I was decades younger? Really used to smell down by (I think) the paper mill in Rishton.

Anyway, people of Accrington, we need some rain in Kingston. Maybe a trade agreement: we would be happy to take some rain. We have to trade an abundant supply of moskies, skunk, squirells, chipmunk, deer, moose, bear, wolves, coyotes, snapping turtles, Canada geese, mallard, all kinds of game birds, and loons (altho' I hear that Ossy has an oversupply of these). Maybe some sunshine, we have enough of that to spare. And to fill all the new lakes that may soon be on your doorstep, how about some bass, lake trout, salmon, perch, walleye, whitefish, lake cod etc.:)

cashman 04-07-2007 15:09

yeh thats the stink eric n you have also educated me, didnt realise that was it in rishton.;)

Eric 04-07-2007 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 444305)
yeh thats the stink eric n you have also educated me, didnt realise that was it in rishton.;)

I remember that there was a path thro' Swales' farm, Ringstonhalgh, that came out in Rishton,and that if you went down to the end of the field, there was always a rope hanging from one of the trees, and you could swing out over the river. I wonder if the kids who fell in ever glowed in the dark after:confused:

Oh, almost forgot, it's also strawberry season, so we can trade a few tonnes of strawberries for a few thousand litres of rain:cool:

panther 05-07-2007 06:30

1 Attachment(s)
facts about lightning!
did you know you are not supposed to lie down outside during a storm!!:eek:
or that rubber soles on ya shoe are a waste of time!

Before the thunderstorm
  • Unplug all non-essential appliances, including the television, as lightning can cause power surges
  • Seek shelter if possible. When you hear thunder you are already within range of where the next ground flash may occur, lightning can strike as far as 10 miles away from the centre of a storm
  • During the thunderstormAttachment 9613
    You should use the '30-30 Rule' to determine if lightning threatens :
    Count the seconds between seeing the lightning, and hearing the thunder. If this time is 30 seconds or less, the lightning is close enough to be a threat. Seek shelter immediately.
    Lightning may be hidden by clouds, if you can hear thunder, lightning is likely to be a threat.
    • Avoid using the phone — telephone lines can conduct electricity
    • Avoid using taps and sinks — metal pipes can conduct electricity
    • If outside avoid water and find a low-lying open place that is a safe distance from trees, poles or metal objects
    • Avoid activities such as golf, rod fishing or boating on a lake
    • If you find yourself in an exposed location it may be advisable to squat close to the ground, with hands on knees and with head tucked between them
    • Try to touch as little of the ground with your body as possible, do not lie down on the ground
    • If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to the above position immediately.
so now you know:DAttachment 9613

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 09:08

Blimey, have I woken up in the wrong country ? It's not raining ! (at the moment !:rolleyes:)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 09:23

Bin that last hopelessly optimistic post; it IS now raining !:(

MargaretR 05-07-2007 10:55

1 Attachment(s)
My new mobile aircon unit has been used for 2 days only :(
I am taking vitamin D to compensate for lack of sunshine.
This miserable summer is sending me into decline.
I might as well hibernate all year round.
Greta Garbo said it all - "I vant to be alone"

garinda 05-07-2007 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 444680)

Well the air-con and the vitamins are doing wonders for your hair Greta, it looks great!:D

Eric 05-07-2007 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 444680)

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, along comes Captain Canuck to tell you about the beautiful weather in the colonies. A little rain this morning, with some distant thunder over the lake. Temps. later today in the low 20s, a little cooler by the water, light west winds, partly cloudy, but with long sunny periods. I think I might take a trip out to the berry farm, and pick up some fresh strawberries - if you pick your own they are dirt cheap, and you can snack for free while you pick.:D:D:D

Somehow, I don't think this will cheer you up;)

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 15:40

Eric, you know what? You were exactly right. i have a line of towels drying in the garage...they should be blowing snowily on the line.......I heard on the weather forecast that it was going to be breezy so put in 3 large bath sheets and some other towels....they may be dry by next week...either that or mouldy.

Eric 05-07-2007 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 444624)
facts about lightning!
did you know you are not supposed to lie down outside during a storm!!:eek:
or that rubber soles on ya shoe are a waste of time!

Before the thunderstorm
  • Unplug all non-essential appliances, including the television, as lightning can cause power surges
  • Seek shelter if possible. When you hear thunder you are already within range of where the next ground flash may occur, lightning can strike as far as 10 miles away from the centre of a storm
  • During the thunderstormAttachment 9613
    You should use the '30-30 Rule' to determine if lightning threatens :
    Count the seconds between seeing the lightning, and hearing the thunder. If this time is 30 seconds or less, the lightning is close enough to be a threat. Seek shelter immediately.
    Lightning may be hidden by clouds, if you can hear thunder, lightning is likely to be a threat.
    • Avoid using the phone — telephone lines can conduct electricity
    • Avoid using taps and sinks — metal pipes can conduct electricity
    • If outside avoid water and find a low-lying open place that is a safe distance from trees, poles or metal objects
    • Avoid activities such as golf, rod fishing or boating on a lake
    • If you find yourself in an exposed location it may be advisable to squat close to the ground, with hands on knees and with head tucked between them
    • Try to touch as little of the ground with your body as possible, do not lie down on the ground
    • If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to the above position immediately.
so now you know:DAttachment 9613

So if you do get struck by lightning you will be in a perfect position to kiss your a** goodby, neat, eh.:banjump:

Eric 05-07-2007 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 444756)
Eric, you know what? You were exactly right. i have a line of towels drying in the garage...they should be blowing snowily on the line.......I heard on the weather forecast that it was going to be breezy so put in 3 large bath sheets and some other towels....they may be dry by next week...either that or mouldy.

Exactly right that I peed everyone off?:confused: I have a clothesline. I should use it more for clothes .... think green I guess. Now I hang bird feeders on it. When the feeders are on the line, it makes it difficult for the squirells to get at the food. Hanging out the washing would be a great idea today, because the weather, in case I forgot to mention it:D, is gorgeous. Nah, I think I'll leave it as it is. Much better looking at the sparrows, jays, and cardinals instead of my socks and shorts.

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 19:14

Well, I like my line dried laundry...have not had a dryer for many many years...and when I did have one it was mainly a storeplace for stuff that needed to be ironed. :)
I think probably Saturday is looking about the best day over the weekend.

Eric 05-07-2007 19:39

What's the forcast for Sat.? Light drizzle instead of rain?