Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   weather?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/weather-29920.html)

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 21:25

Re: weather??

Showers, but with some bright spells.:)

cashman 05-07-2007 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 444624)
facts about lightning!
did you know you are not supposed to lie down outside during a storm!!:eek:
or that rubber soles on ya shoe are a waste of time!

Before the thunderstorm
  • Unplug all non-essential appliances, including the television, as lightning can cause power surges
  • Seek shelter if possible. When you hear thunder you are already within range of where the next ground flash may occur, lightning can strike as far as 10 miles away from the centre of a storm
  • During the thunderstormAttachment 9613
    You should use the '30-30 Rule' to determine if lightning threatens :
    Count the seconds between seeing the lightning, and hearing the thunder. If this time is 30 seconds or less, the lightning is close enough to be a threat. Seek shelter immediately.
    Lightning may be hidden by clouds, if you can hear thunder, lightning is likely to be a threat.
    • Avoid using the phone — telephone lines can conduct electricity
    • Avoid using taps and sinks — metal pipes can conduct electricity
    • If outside avoid water and find a low-lying open place that is a safe distance from trees, poles or metal objects
    • Avoid activities such as golf, rod fishing or boating on a lake
    • If you find yourself in an exposed location it may be advisable to squat close to the ground, with hands on knees and with head tucked between them
    • Try to touch as little of the ground with your body as possible, do not lie down on the ground
    • If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to the above position immediately.
so now you know:DAttachment 9613

when i was young me mam used to hide in the pantry with light out when it lightened, which as a kid,i thought hilarious, when i was older she told me her sister was killed by it when they were coming home from school,that sure as hell stopped me taking the mick.:o she also used to disconnect the telly cos she thought if it hit the ariel it would travel down the cable,dont know if thats the case?

panther 07-07-2007 18:52

hasnt it been nice this afternoon?, well i think i might mow the lawn in a bit, i know its getting late but its too bushy and it might rain tomorrow, well not might, probably will:D

Eric 07-07-2007 19:46

Finally, some rain, along with high winds and quite a nice little storm. Unfortunately the rain won't last, and by tomorrow, we will be back in that damned sunshine, with temps in the high 20s. Not to worry, if the long range forcast is accurate, the wonderful rain will be back at the end of next week.

lindsay ormerod 08-07-2007 12:03

This is getting beyond a a joke now ! You work all week and then can't do anything on the day off you get 'cos it's bl**dy raining again ! It's weeks since I've seen a cricket match, the bbq is unused since last August and there is no chance of me going and sorting the rabbits out in this downpour ! GRRRR. Just a couple of hours would be nice,or it could rain all it wants during the night ....:s_splash::s_splash::s_splash:

panther 10-07-2007 12:56

was a bright start this morning now as im typing this, its suddenly become a bit dark:(.....more rain??
typical british weather eh?

Eric 11-07-2007 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 446758)
was a bright start this morning now as im typing this, its suddenly become a bit dark:(.....more rain??
typical british weather eh?

Geez ... just quit typing and everything will clear up ... it's that simple, I'm surprised you can't see ... must have Ossy blood in you.:eek:

mrjdallen 11-07-2007 12:10

in this country it could even snow and have a heat wave at the same time - english weather

panther 12-07-2007 17:42

no english weather is rain..................more rain..................rain................oh, some sun.............more rain...........

Eric 12-07-2007 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 447775)
no english weather is rain..................more rain..................rain................oh, some sun.............more rain...........

As usual, I can't resist this. Yet another gorgeous day in paradise by Lake Ontario. 25c (cooler by the Lake if that's too hot), sunny, a light breeze from the west, low humidity. Ahhhhhh.:D

mallard 12-07-2007 20:25

the week end wether as to be a bit sham so my friend as just told me an she work,t out side for years and not wrong very much .

panther 16-07-2007 19:00

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9682Britain's miserable summer shows no sign of ending with hailstones and thunderstorms predicted over the next couple of days.Attachment 9682

Forecasters say there is even an outside chance that some places will experience tornadoes:eek::eek: Attachment 9681
A large area of low pressure is expected to creep across the UK, producing heavy downpours and electrical storms.
News reports predicted that hail the size of golf balls could batter Kent.

im glad i live up ere, and not down south:(Attachment 9682

i think our sun is on strike!!

Eric 16-07-2007 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 449865)
Attachment 9682Britain's miserable summer shows no sign of ending with hailstones and thunderstorms predicted over the next couple of days.Attachment 9682

Forecasters say there is even an outside chance that some places will experience tornadoes:eek::eek: Attachment 9681
A large area of low pressure is expected to creep across the UK, producing heavy downpours and electrical storms.
News reports predicted that hail the size of golf balls could batter Kent.

im glad i live up ere, and not down south:(Attachment 9682

i think our sun is on strike!!

The sun isn't on strike ... he is just extra busy, working over here:)

accymel 16-07-2007 21:04

Not that im complaining of extra thunderstorms tho:D

cherokee 16-07-2007 21:24

ooooo we just had our first teeny thunderstorm... but what a gorgeous day its been...