Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington Conservative Club (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-conservative-club-41599.html)

Alan Gilmartin 31-01-2016 03:26

Re: Accrington Conservative Club

OK then, in the past has anyone put plans in for a development and the council knocked them back. We can still have our memories and have the building, We have memories of the Cavendish, built in the 1960s and demolished 40 years later, the Con isn't a concrete box like the Blackburn shopping center, the new one is an even a bigger pile of crap. OH well I'll leave it at that, maybe Eric is right.

cashman 31-01-2016 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1159838)
Yesterday him and me looked at the photos on the ‘net of the innards of the Con Club and he couldn’t believe the state the building has been allowed to get into. My Accrington bloke was so incensed he said that in his opinion those responsible for allowing this to happen should be jailed and the key thrown away.

Beautiful building , a place that Accrington could boast about having. How can a building be allowed to deteriorate in such a way? It doesn’t happen overnight! An absolute disgrace.

Like for so many other people, that building holds lots of memories for him. He met his first real girlfriend there, and still remembers her! – had his first taste of Double Century Dark Ale at the bar, and spoke about the time his mate Jack Gee – the tailor mentioned in another thread – beat Billy Holden of Burnley F.C. fame at snooker. In those days Accrington Con was THE place to go to for a good night out. Many nights of dancing in the famous ballroom to well-known bands – and probably many more girlfriends…..

Was talking to jack a couple of weeks ago in town dotti, tell yer hubby hes not in bad nick.;)

dotti34 31-01-2016 09:24

Thanks, Cashie. Will do. They ring each other regularly, so his nibs keeps in touch with what's going on in Accrington. Even after all these years in Australia he still thinks of Accrington as home.

Neil 01-02-2016 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 1159840)
OK then, in the past has anyone put plans in for a development and the council knocked them back........

I think there have been a few plans, this is a link to just one of them Accrington Conservative Club ballroom faces demolition (From Lancashire Telegraph)

RainbowSix 01-02-2016 12:14

As far as I know for it to be turned into apartments to achieve planning consent there would also have to be sufficient parking - which I don't think there is?

gpick24 18-05-2016 10:13

On fire this morning, suspected arson.
IN PICTURES/VIDEO: Huge fire at former Accrington Conservative Club after suspected arson (From Lancashire Telegraph)

cashman 18-05-2016 10:39

Its been dead but wont lie down for years, seems now its the end. was a great dance hall in 60s.:(

Eric 18-05-2016 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1169018)
Its been dead but wont lie down for years, seems now its the end. was a great dance hall in 60s.:(

At least the old girl went out in a blaze of her former glory.

Barrie Yates 18-05-2016 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1169018)

And the '50s Cashy, had some fantastic nights there.

dotti34 19-05-2016 02:36

A sad end to a once-imposing building that held lots of happy memories for many people. My Accrington bloke (an old ‘rocker’ from way back) remembers great evenings spent there in the 50’s. A piece of political and social history gone forever.

RainbowSix 19-05-2016 12:36

Just watching the contractors try and push the archways over the top of the windows over.

A bit comical really, they are in a cage on a crane pushing themselves backwards - it wont go as easy as modern buildings do.

What a shame..

Margaret Pilkington 19-05-2016 14:14

Yes, it is a shame that this beautiful and majestic building was allowed to get into such a terrible state of disrepair.
It deserved to be used and enjoyed as it has been in the past.
It is true to say that we only value things when they are no longer here.

accyman 20-05-2016 12:10

i suppose at least now the matter is resolved its been derelict for years.It was only a matter of time before someone torched it i thought it would have happened long ago

i really dont see the point of having a listed building if the building isnt going to be looked after and rules , fines or powers to seize if need be arnt in place to ensure its upkeep

theres a lot of cctv in the area you would think it would have seen something

dotti34 08-09-2016 23:55

Well the old boy is in one of his pensive moods having just spent a very nostalgic 87 minutes watching a DVD recently sent to us by friends and called ‘A Night To Remember at “ACCY CON” ‘– which covered the last night of dancing held there (The Last Waltz) - Friday 13th March 1987. Made by Gordon and Benita Moore, and probably already seen by most of you.

Has brought back lots of great memories of times spent in that once-beautiful building, the Con, like it did to those on the DVD.

It also brought the question has anyone been charged with the Con’s final destruction? Also what is happening to the site now, if anything?

JCB 09-09-2016 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1176512)

It also brought the question has anyone been charged with the Con’s final destruction? Also what is happening to the site now, if anything?

There's a link here to a report in this weekend's Accrington Observer......Accrington Conservative Club arson investigation ends due to lack of evidence - Accrington Observer