Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2006, 10:15   #16
God Member

Re: A little bit of advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
[COLOR=darkorchid]
If it's a different teacher each year and the same problem occurs each year then I would definitely have a word with the head about it.
In the 1st year I spoke to the P.E. teacher over the phone, it was a different teacher and we resolved it pretty quickly, the teacher is still in school but now teaching a different lesson. My oldest has explained to her that I'd spoke to the previous teacher ad that she was excempt from doing cross country and only cross country, surely you'd think there could be some form of communication between 2 teachers in one school

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
What is it with teachers and cross country anyway? Why should a child have to do it? I'd have thought a letter from you as the parent should be adequate reason for them to excuse your daughter.
I thought exactly the same, I'm her mother and if I wanted to excuse her because she'd broken a nail it should be my right to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart
look stinks do you want auntie flashy to come over and sort it out? i'll tell them for ya *goes back to the pipe*
If I get no joy I'll get a look at her, check out the opposition and let you know

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 13-11-2006 at 10:25.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2006, 10:18   #17
God Member

If I get no joy I'll get a look at her, check out the opposition and let you know [/quote]

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 10:58   #18
Resident Waffler

It may well be that a lot of children just don't fancy doing cross country - cold wet weather doesn't help either. I remember hating outdoor sports in winter with freezing cold legs but enjoying being out of school in the summer in the fresh air.

Then there's this government thing that children today don't get enough fresh air and excercise so schools are encouraged to make sure the pupils don't skive off for no valid reason so perhaps the school's policy is to try to get 100% participation in all the PE lessons including the cross country running.

It puzzles me too why notes from one year don't seem to get passed on to the next year's teacher.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 12:02   #19

I was under the impression that Cross Country was no longer in the PE curriculum as it poses a health & safety issue? The teachers can't supervise all the children as they generally spread out over the course and only have checkpoints at a few places, so if a child stumbled and hurt themself or had an asthma attack, there is no responsible adult present to deal with it.

If I were you Tinks, I'd ask to see their H&S policy on cross country and see what reaction you get! I may be wrong but I'm sure this came up when I was a school governor, as we had to do H&S assessments before any activity which was off the school premises, even before walking the children down Union Road for a Geography lesson to see what the hazards where or how things could go wrong.
Old 13-11-2006, 12:08   #20
Resident Waffler

If that's so nikkival I don't think the local schools have been made aware.

My eldest faughter has asthma which is affected by cold weather. She struggles doing cross country in winter but the school is never very keen to excuse her so I can relate to this topic.

Old 13-11-2006, 12:15   #21
God Member

Hiya nikkival

I don't think it's cross country as we knew it anymore. They stay within the school grounds. I think it's about 10 laps of the school field.
Old 13-11-2006, 12:16   #22
Resting in Peace

We have 2 son's and 2 daughters but we never did have a faughter willow

Last edited by Mick; 13-11-2006 at 12:19.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 12:19   #23
Resident Waffler

drat! slip of the finger there.

I can't even edit the thing either

Old 13-11-2006, 12:38   #24

I can sympathise Willow, my son also has asthma, but at Rhyddings he hasn't had to do cross country so far so I haven't had to cross that bridge yet! Sorry Tinks, wasn't aware that they stay in the school grounds, maybe that's H&S related?
My son did have some problems last year in PE, a few kids picked on him in the changing rooms and called him a fat **** and he really lost his confidence. It got so bad that he was falling over on purpose to injure himself so that he didn't have to do PE. I spoke to the school, I dealt with the department head for PE, and completely withdrew him from PE for a few months, they were very understanding and said that they can't force a child to do something they feel uncomfortable doing and found him something else to do.
Thankfully, I've managed to boost his confidence since then and he goes to the sports centre regularly with family to play badminton and he's now back doing PE at school and hasn't had any further issues. The worst part about it is that he isn't even fat and had a complex about it for around six months.
Talk to the department head and mention the ridicule, drop the word bullying in the conversation, they don't like that word! I think you're doing the right thing keeping her off and hope that the school will take it seriously, as someone who's been there recently I completely understand what you're going through. Good Luck
Old 13-11-2006, 12:44   #25
God Member

Awww kids can be so cruel. I'm glad you've managed to get get him back on track nikkival
Old 13-11-2006, 14:28   #26
Foreign Correspondent

Hi Tinkerbelle!

While I am not fan of cross country running, I do believe that some form of regular exercise should be encouraged for everyone. Perhaps a good alternative might be walking? Seems to me that might be a workable substitute and that your daughter (and others disinclined to cross country) could do it at the same time on the same course.

After all, it's not so important what type of exercise you do, so long as you do it regularly. If your child can find something that she can tolerate (or even enjoy) she's a lot more likely to stick with it. After all, shouldn't the real goal of P.E. classes be to educate young folks about the value of life-long fitness?

As far as the ridicule from other members of the class goes, be firm that the school's allowing such behavior is simply unacceptable.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 15:02   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to love cross country, was one of the FEW things i was good at, but agree with you n willow on this tinks, also if the info is not passed on- the school is not doing its job and looking after the kids- simple as that. use diplomacy but definately see the head and make your point,cos YOU are right.
Old 13-11-2006, 15:17   #28
God Member

Thanks guys, jobs sorted. The teacher said she didn't know if my oldest was trying to pull a fast one like some of the others. She's just said that she has to take part in some form of cardiovascular exercise while the others do cross roads. Sounds fine to me.

Well that's that for another year
Old 13-11-2006, 15:31   #29

That's great, so glad you got it sorted out. Nikki
Old 13-11-2006, 15:43   #30
Resident Waffler

Glad to hear you got that sorted out Tinkerbelle.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..