Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 21:46   #16
I am Banned

Re: Adrian Shurmer book

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Weren't one of the streets he invented up Belthorn Walter
No John he didn't include Belthorn on the Street Plan he did of Acc. The deliberate mistakes I found were in Acc.
The book I have is the first edition, the maps were drawn by James S Cunningham, amended by Kenneth Wilkinson.
In the fire brigade in my days we had our own street directory's and hydrant records which we kept up to date on a regular basis, they were never printed as such just hand written on cards, every appliance had a box of cards & a spare box kept in the control room.
Now its done on a computer based on post codes.
I used to keep the farm records up to date, so I went home and went through the copy I kept of the records, went back to the station, they switched the computer on and I beat it 7 out of 10.

Lots of farms don't have a post code, they collect their own mail from the post office.
West Farm and Blue Slates have the same post code as Spire Farm.
Check some out on Google Earth.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30   #17
Junior Member+

Many thanks for all this info. Its fascinating that local knowledge is far better than post-codes, sat-nav or Google. For instance the Library is in the wrong place on Google and the Town Centre is a beige block. That's one of the reasons for doing a new map and a map that's not just based on the street system because it distorts it. What I mean is that, in order to get the street names bigger so you can read them, the streets are made wider!
John Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
No John he didn't include Belthorn on the Street Plan he did of Acc. The deliberate mistakes I found were in Acc.
The book I have is the first edition, the maps were drawn by James S Cunningham, amended by Kenneth Wilkinson.
In the fire brigade in my days we had our own street directory's and hydrant records which we kept up to date on a regular basis, they were never printed as such just hand written on cards, every appliance had a box of cards & a spare box kept in the control room.
Now its done on a computer based on post codes.
I used to keep the farm records up to date, so I went home and went through the copy I kept of the records, went back to the station, they switched the computer on and I beat it 7 out of 10.

Lots of farms don't have a post code, they collect their own mail from the post office.
West Farm and Blue Slates have the same post code as Spire Farm.
Check some out on Google Earth.
Retlaw.
In Adrian's first edition there is a street map of Belthorn on page 29 Walter, mind you i've just edited this as I've realised your talking purely about the map and not the guide book

Last edited by jaysay; 10-07-2010 at 09:25.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accrington, adrian, map, shurmer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..