Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 08:37   #1

Answers and Comments Please

Let me explain. I spent a lot of time browsing through AccyWeb before joining and on the many occasions when a Thread was branching away from the original topic, the posting drawing attention to this was made on the actual Thread.

So, following what appeared to be Custom and Practice I did the same when I came across what seemed to be a flagrant example, and a Moderator must have felt the same although no action was taken.

I am well aware that it is so easy to go off at a tangent and there are numerous examples were this has occurred without comment and I am sure it will continue.

I have been led to understand that the use of Capitals in a posting signifies shouting. The type size in reply to my comment suggests a near hysterical outburst.

Most organisations, and I am relating, in this context, the membership of AccyWeb to be an "organisation", have an Inner Mafia, to whom criticism, particularly by a Newby is resented.

I hope this is not the case on this superb Board, which tolerates postings ranging from the almost inarticulate to the magnificent prose of our friend A-Bob
THOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2005, 09:24   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Answers and Comments Please

If I have a problem with a post, I tend to report it to a moderator. That way, I have expressed my views and leave it to them to decide whether or not to take action.

I have reported posts on two occasions - the first time the post in question was deleted; the second time no action was taken.

I am relatively new here as well, but you pick up on things as you go along, and it may be worth while leaving the moderation to the moderators, and report things to them in the first instance, to allow them to decide and take the appropriate action.

I am a mod on other forums, and would rather someone reported a post to me than start world war 3 on a public forum. The matter can then be dealt with quietly and out of the public domain

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:37   #3
Resting in Peace

yep i agree with you there VORLON24
moderators can and sometimes do miss posts and if its not reported then nothing will be done about it
as this board is getting very busy its easy to miss a post here and there
so if you see a post you think is out of order please REPORT it
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:45   #4
Give, give, give member

As a newbie myself l was gratful to Mez, for explaining the role of the moderators.l was politely told by the moderator, that my introduction thread was turning into a garinda chat room, and that wasn't the idea, and that l should post in General Chat. Sensible advice l adhered to.
Personally, l like the way a thread can twist and turn, and then come back on topic.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:58   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Thoth, may I start by immediatly going off thread & thanking you for becoming a member of Accyweb, new members are needed & welcome to give their opinions just as much as any other member of the site. Without your input we have a grave danger of just getting stuck on the same old topics & re-stating what has been said before, (on thread from now).

Quote:
I have been led to understand that the use of Capitals in a posting signifies shouting. The type size in reply to my comment suggests a near hysterical outburst.
Yes the use of capitals CAN signify shouting, but this is the English language capitals & putting a comment in bold type
can also be a way of emphasising the way the contributer wants their thoughts to be displayed.

If you are refering to my reply (quoted below), then you should also notice that it ends with a group of smilies, in an attempt to show that my reply was tongue in cheek
, because I often attempt to introduce humour into my replies. (Obviously didn't work for you though did it?).

Quote:
The very fact that you posted this reply in this thread proves that you too can be just as guilty as anyone else for going off thread.

Can we have a little less preach & alot more practice? THANK YOU!

Quote:
Most organisations, and I am relating, in this context, the membership of AccyWeb to be an "organisation", have an Inner Mafia, to whom criticism, particularly by a Newby is resented.

If there is an 'inner Mafia' @ Accyweb then I am not a member of it . (every time I post I hope that it is worth reading), if others are not free to comment on what I or others say then we can't improve the style of what we are posting. (It's all one big learning curve for all of us).

Quote:
I hope this is not the case on this superb Board, which tolerates postings ranging from the almost inarticulate to the magnificent prose of our friend A-Bob
I agree completly with the sentiments that you have portrayed in the above & though I often go straight to read the latest out-pourings from A-B, I also try to read the contributions from all other members, (even though they may not have Bobs gift of expression their views are just as valid).

If you had not commented on the thread then I would not have been given the chance to think of the accyweb anti-meandering threads, thread.
Which has surprised me in it's popularity, can I just emphasise that it was not a dig at you but yet another silly thread that I have started.
Please do not read too much into anything that I may post as I will always try to produce a tangent to the thread that, is the way my mind works.

Lots & lots of friendly smilies to you, all my Luv' Less.

Last edited by Less; 04-03-2005 at 19:14.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:11   #6
mez
God Member

have to agree with you there entirly,less, yes YOU are better at putting into the typed words what you feel & think, yes i would love to be able to post in all posts but my brain hasn't got the capacity to cope with it, ( thats the emmbarrasment smilie) i agree & disagree quietly , with the threads & posts, but get lost for words, & no there is no minority, we are all free thinkers on here, thats what the forum is about, just hope you enjoy it thoth & happy posting

Last edited by mez; 04-03-2005 at 11:12. Reason: left a word out
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:17   #7
Senior Member+

wat do yer mean inarticulate thats a lorry aint it? Iwoz edumacated in ossy and so spellin wozent tawert at rhyddings, which reminds me what ever happened to steven?

Last edited by Bazf; 04-03-2005 at 11:18. Reason: bad spelling.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 14:06   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOTH
Let me explain. I spent a lot of time browsing through AccyWeb before joining and on the many occasions when a Thread was branching away from the original topic, the posting drawing attention to this was made on the actual Thread.

So, following what appeared to be Custom and Practice I did the same when I came across what seemed to be a flagrant example, and a Moderator must have felt the same although no action was taken.
As you must have noticed THOTH, a moderator had posted in the thread you refer to. He had posted a light-hearted mild rebuke and a slightly tongue-in-cheek "I've got my eye on you lot so behave yourselves!" comment. The very fact that no action was taken means that he didn't feel it necessary to take any. The meander didn't need reporting in that particular case.

In your browsings haven't you also come across instances where moderators have asked people to either click on the report button or send a PM if they have cause for complaint?

Quote:

Inner Mafia? Crikey I didn't know we'd got one of those! Where's Elliot Ness. (sorry) I suppose as in all groups the founder members or those who meet up at the "dos" probably feel a kinship with each other and if it seems like someone that they/we haven't got to know yet misjudges the manner and intent of someone we know to have meant no harm then we are likely to want to say something in their defence by way of an explanation. It doesn't meant that any valid criticism would be resented but maybe we just don't go in for crtiticism all that much anyway apart from when we're having a humerous dig at each other. That's part of what makes this board a pleasant place to visit.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 15:29   #9
I am Banned

when i see a topic going of thread........i just ignore it. does it really matter in the scheme of things? i doubt it. who cares if there is a inner mafia? just ignore them. i read all the posts....ignore the drivel you get it on any forum.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 15:39   #10
Beacon of light

Most threads will wander a bit, but then when you are having a conversation with someone that happens too.....it does lead to interesting posts, and I really value and enjoy some of the light heartedness that is captured on this site.
Most of us come on this site to get some respite from the hassles that occur in our daily lives......and for some it may be the only social contact they have.
I have never seen any evidence of an inner mafia.....and personally I think the moderators do a grand job.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 19:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I have never seen any evidence of an inner mafia.....and personally I think the moderators do a grand job.
Nicely said Margaret see you at the next secret meeting.

Old 04-03-2005, 19:18   #12
Beacon of light

Ok Less.......do we need to change our disguise or will the Batman and Robin suits still do?????? Oh damn, that's torn it!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 19:20   #13
Resident Waffler

don't forget the secret handshake and password

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 19:22   #14
mez
God Member

yea its how do, im whoever, & mines a pint oops
Old 04-03-2005, 19:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Batman and Robin suits still do?????? Oh damn, that's torn it!
I know what you mean, I always end up standing on the end of the cape when I get excited.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..