Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2006, 22:13   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: co-op in ossy.

In the photograph the shop on the end of the block, now flats, was also part of the Co-op. Upstairs there used to be a function room, as well as the grocers, butchers and furniture shop at groud level.

There also used to be a Co-op at the bottom of Fielding Lane on Catlowhall, and one up Stanhill as well.

Ossy Co-op was famous for paying out the biggest dividend in the country. On 'divvy day' Oswaldtwistle apparently used to resemble the wild west, as crowds of people ran down Union Road to spend their money.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2006, 22:16   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Thought most churches these days were raising money to keep up the maintenance and struggling ,dont know why they would build another one

Their old church on Melbourne Street is for sale now (at £150,000.) As soon as it is sold building work is due to start on the new church, though were all the cars that use the site as a carpark will go I don't know. The council had the chance to buy the Co-op site as a carpark, but decided against it.

Old 20-11-2006, 22:19   #18
God Member

Oh I dont remember the one at the bottom of feilding lane where was that Garinda?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 22:20   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Their old church on Melbourne Street is for sale now (at £150,000.) As soon as it is sold building work is due to start on the new church, though were all the cars that use the site as a carpark will go I don't know. The council had the chance to buy the Co-op site as a carpark, but decided against it.
So would that be the Methodist church if i remember correctly melbourne st was methodist
Old 21-11-2006, 00:01   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So would that be the Methodist church if i remember correctly melbourne st was methodist
It used to be Methodist years ago, now it's a church called Melbourne Street Christian Institute. I don't know exactly what denomination it is now though.

The old Co-op was I think on Catlowhall Street, next door to what is now the Chinese chippy.

Old 21-11-2006, 00:21   #21
God Member

Quote:
It used to be Methodist years ago, now it's a church called Melbourne Street Christian Institute. I don't know exactly what denomination it is now though.

The old Co-op was I think on Catlowhall Street, next door to what is now the Chinese chippy.

Ah right cant see what was wrong with the old melbourne st church it used to be pretty nice round there .
As for the co op must have been way before my time just dont rem that one at all ..be nice to see a pic of that though
Old 21-11-2006, 10:54   #22
Give, give, give member

http://www.propertyfile.co.uk/home/s...8&pid=10820476

Old 21-11-2006, 13:10   #23
God Member

Thats actually not a bad price for what it is
Old 21-11-2006, 18:24   #24
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Thats right but im not sure whats there now as i havent been past for a while think that was kinda facing ossy clinic
Cheers I have a distant memory of one in that area but that's all.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 18:50   #25
Resident Waffler

Some old church buildings are hard to heat and it's preferred to build a new modern one. Springhill Methodists did that but then they seem to have diappeared.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 15:30   #26
Senior Member+

I remember going into the old CO-OP when i was a little girl with my mum. She used to get the stamps and it was my job to lick em and stick em.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 12:19   #27
Senior Member+

Does anybody know when the Co-op building was demolished, nobody seems to remember. I've been trying to find out for a while now, because i'm pretty sure one of my earliest memories is my Great Grandma waving at me through the window (she used to work there) But if it was demolished before I was born then its obviously a different building.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 12:53   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Upstairs there used to be a function room,
Remember the Co-op, but mainly the function room. My Auntie used to work there (well, not really related, but that's what you called your parent's friends in those days) doing the Catering.

My mum helped her on many occasions and she used to come home with some left over goodies. Think I helped myself once or twice. My memory was of mainly funeral parties, as wasn't as widespread to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries with a slap up meal then. Suppose sort of package deal, they insured you for a decent farewell, buried you and provided the function afterwards.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 13:52   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Does anybody know when the Co-op building was demolished, nobody seems to remember. I've been trying to find out for a while now, because i'm pretty sure one of my earliest memories is my Great Grandma waving at me through the window (she used to work there) But if it was demolished before I was born then its obviously a different building.
If i remember rightly lolly Iwould have been about 12/13 so it must have been about 20 years ago..
Old 25-11-2006, 13:56   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If i remember rightly lolly Iwould have been about 12/13 so it must have been about 20 years ago..

You are the same age as me hun, we weren't 12/13 twenty years ago...sadly.

I think it would have been demolished about 1983/4.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..