Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2006, 18:49   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Question Ossy Palladium

Does anyone know what they doing with it yet? another winter is coming so that means its gonna look worse than ever, its a eye sore and needs something doing to it.
I say knock it down and put a bloody decent shop there,
Old 27-10-2006, 18:59   #2
Member.

Re: Ossy Palladium

Can’t much left of your heritage over there…….why not do something nice like reuse the existing building….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 19:02   #3
Give, give, give member

Apparently it has been purchased recently. I don't know what their plans are.

If it was restored to being a cinema, that would be fantastic, but I doubt that'll happen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 19:04   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

the state its in, it would be cheaper to knock it down, its falling to bits!!
Old 27-10-2006, 19:08   #5
Resident Waffler

Please not another empty shop! If it has been purchased then presumably the new owners must have plans. Nobody would buy it to do nothing with it. A cinema seems unlikely with the Vue just down the road in Accrington.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 19:14   #6
God Member

Rumour is that Ossy Mills had put in an offer to purchase it to turn into a hotel - but that is just speculation. I don't even know if they have bought it.

Someone I know phoned up the estate agents and asked if it was for sale and was told that the owners had taken it off the market - so what's happened is anybody's guess!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 19:15   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

what do you mean another empty shop? that area badly needs a decent shop like spar, so ppl like me dont have to walk miles to get a loaf of bread!
Old 27-10-2006, 19:19   #8
Resident Waffler

The trouble is that shops where you want them tend not to survive because they have to charge more than the big supermarkets and most people would rather go to Asda for a cheaper one. We had a brilliant baker's shop in Willows Lane but he couldn't compete with cheap mass produced loaves. There used to be a Spar in Carnforth but that closed down in face of the competition from Tesco.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 21:13   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Rumour is that Ossy Mills had put in an offer to purchase it to turn into a hotel - but that is just speculation. I don't even know if they have bought it.
Nah, they were pipped at the post with a guy who lives in Ossie, he also bought the Commercial and the burnt out the shops opposite .. no idea what plans he has for them though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 23:03   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
what do you mean another empty shop? that area badly needs a decent shop like spar, so ppl like me dont have to walk miles to get a loaf of bread!
Ossy General Store, in the old Chimes restaurant, sells everything from bread to tooth picks, and the guys that own it are are great. They even gave me a box of chocolates at Christmas, which was very gratefully received from these hard working, friendly Muslims, and they pack your bags too, which they don't at the Co-op, which for me, with my fumbling hands, is very much appreciated.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2006, 08:31   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
I think she means another commercially unviable shop, shops can't stay open for bread alone!

The shop Rindy mentioned is local and welcoming, be grateful you've got that, or move nearer to another shop.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2006, 09:32   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I thought you would have phoned and asked him, not that you ever name drop of course
Old 29-10-2006, 19:09   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
I think she means another commercially unviable shop, shops can't stay open for bread alone!

The shop Rindy mentioned is local and welcoming, be grateful you've got that, or move nearer to another shop.
Old 31-10-2006, 09:02   #14
God Member

The formal announcement should be in a few days, but the Pallidium is about to become Ossy's first pound shop.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 09:47   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The formal announcement should be in a few days, but the Pallidium is about to become Ossy's first pound shop.
I've heard that it's going to be a themed pound shop, Flat caps, Shawls and high quality twine for tying your whippet to the pubs hitching post, (if you can find a pub thats open!).
Also a Local version of the deli' counter with Lancashire hot Pot, tripe and onion and jellied pigs trotters available 24/7.

Oh yes, and a chemists counter with dolly blue for putting on the kids ringworm, a traditional nit nurse on call with a multi-purpose paraffin wash that can also double up as a cure for constipation. The ailses will be slightly wider than normal so that people with the compulsory 'rickets' can pass each other without any real hinderance.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..