Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2006, 09:59   #16
God Member

Re: Ossy Palladium

Apparently, they're going to do a big line in porcelin p*ss pots to put under your bed. This is the new enviromentally friendly method of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, because as of next year, your loo will be metered and each flush will be subject to a tax of 50p.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2006, 15:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Ossy General Store, in the old Chimes restaurant, sells everything from bread to tooth picks, and the guys that own it are are great. They even gave me a box of chocolates at Christmas, which was very gratefully received from these hard working, friendly Muslims, and they pack your bags too, which they don't at the Co-op, which for me, with my fumbling hands, is very much appreciated.
They always try and rip you off though! Twice now I've been, given them a £10 note, and they've given me change for a fiver.. and when you correct them they act like it was just a common mistake! Yeah right!.. more like con artists making a bit of money!

It also looks like an eye sore now.. how they've just placed the Ossy General sign over the Chimes sign.. looks awful! Green sign.. then a smaller red one posted over?! Talk about cheapskates..

Last edited by morgan_brotherz; 31-10-2006 at 15:41.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 15:43   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
They always try and rip you off though! Twice now I've been, given them a £10 note, and they've given me change for a fiver.. and when you correct them they act like it was just a common mistake! Yeah right!.. more like con artists making a bit of money!

It also looks like an eyesour now.. how they've just placed the Ossy General sign over the Chimes sign.. looks awful! Green sign.. then a smaller red one posted over?! Talk about cheapskates..
Well I've been in daily for two years and have never been short changed. Perhaps you just have one of those faces that make people want to exploit you.

It looks less of an eyesore than the empty restaurant, that was there for eighteen months.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 16:03   #19

Actually, it wasnt an emply restaurant for eighteen months, it did take a long time to sell, and there's no need to correct me, I know the previous owners mate.

And I have to disagree, Id rather it been an 'empty restaurant' than what it is now, it looks like an eye sore when walking/driving past. Whereas when it was 'Chimes' sign, you couldnt even tell it was closed, it just looked like a nice, decent restaurant.

Im ahshamed at looking at it, one of the first shops coming into Oswaldtwistle, and you see that, its turning into Blackburn Road (Which is slightly improving now actually).. but think of all the visitors to Oswaldtwistle (IE: Ossy Mills Shoppers).. walking into Oswaldtwistle, and seeing that shop, sign over sign, etc.. and the next window is just breeze blocks with no sign at all!.. then you get the Foxhill & Peel Court.. Im ashamed to think what visitors to the town think.
Old 31-10-2006, 16:08   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Actually, it wasnt an emply restaurant for eighteen months, it did take a long time to sell, and there's no need to correct me, I know the previous owners mate.

And I have to disagree, Id rather it been an 'empty restaurant' than what it is now, it looks like an eye sore when walking/driving past. Whereas when it was 'Chimes' sign, you couldnt even tell it was closed, it just looked like a nice, decent restaurant.

Im ahshamed at looking at it, one of the first shops coming into Oswaldtwistle, and you see that, its turning into Blackburn Road (Which is slightly improving now actually).. but think of all the visitors to Oswaldtwistle (IE: Ossy Mills Shoppers).. walking into Oswaldtwistle, and seeing that shop, sign over sign, etc.. and the next window is just breeze blocks with no sign at all!.. then you get the Foxhill & Peel Court.. Im ashamed to think what visitors to the town think.
It is eighteen months, as my Godfather has the butchers next door, and I was eating in Chimes two days before the chef/owner did a midnight flit to Pleasington. I'm never wrong sunny Jim, well not about this.

You'd rather have an empty retaurant (with terrible, out of character PVC windows the last owner put in,) I'd rather have a local, friendly shop. C'est la vie.

Old 31-10-2006, 16:17   #21

They are still 'terrible, out of character PVC windows'. It's not exactly welcoming, a none-see through PVC door with a little paper sign on saying open or closed.. It looks a mess in my opinion. I notice you chose not to mention the breeze block area above the second window?

Yes, I'd rather have an empty restaurant. It looked decent from the outer side, which is more important to me than whats inside. The outside of a shop (or anywhere) needs to look nice, it makes the town as a whole nice, especially on the main road.

Blackburn Road wannabe's I tell ya!
Old 31-10-2006, 17:14   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I notice you chose not to mention the breeze block area above the second window?
I keep my eyes at eye level, and not with my head up in the clouds.

Old 31-10-2006, 18:13   #23
Resident Waffler

It makes more sense to me to have an open shop serving a purpose than a closed restaurant doing nothing useful at all.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 19:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It makes more sense to me to have an open shop serving a purpose than a closed restaurant doing nothing useful at all.
Yeah, of course.. but it looked better when it was a closed restaurant. And to me, the entrance of a town has to look good.
Old 31-10-2006, 23:02   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yeah, of course.. but it looked better when it was a closed restaurant. And to me, the entrance of a town has to look good.
It isn' at 'the entrance to the town', that is at the Palladium, with the welcome to Oswaldtwistle sign.

As for if an empty restaurant, or busy shop, gives off a better visual impression to visitors to the town, as resident aesthetics expert, I say the latter.

Perhaps your opposition to this shop is based on the owners being Muslim? As why else would you earlier in this thread compare it to Blackburn Road in Accrington? Totally irrelevant.

Old 01-11-2006, 16:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It isn' at 'the entrance to the town', that is at the Palladium, with the welcome to Oswaldtwistle sign.

As for if an empty restaurant, or busy shop, gives off a better visual impression to visitors to the town, as resident aesthetics expert, I say the latter.

Perhaps your opposition to this shop is based on the owners being Muslim? As why else would you earlier in this thread compare it to Blackburn Road in Accrington? Totally irrelevant.
How stupid. It has nothing to do with the fact. And the reason I mentioned Blackburn Road is because it looks like a sh*t tip. It had nothing to do with the owners ethnic origin, you are the one suggesting that I am refering to Muslims by mentioning Blackburn Road, totally irrelevant.

Persides, if my opposition was based on the owners being Muslim, I would also be complaining about Pizza Palace, Eat Well, Jalfrezi (Whatever its called now), Slice Of Heaven (Bottom Of Rhyddings Street), Village Pantry 2.. (Bottom Of Rhyddings Street)..

..And Im not complaining about them, because their shops look half decent! Aswel as most shops on Union Road. I was complaining about 'Ossy General Store' because it looks like garbage, not because the owners are Muslim.

D*ck Head.

People really do p*ss me off with your 'think you know it all' comments. You being one of them.
Old 01-11-2006, 16:31   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
How stupid. It has nothing to do with the fact. And the reason I mentioned Blackburn Road is because it looks like a sh*t tip. It had nothing to do with the owners ethnic origin, you are the one suggesting that I am refering to Muslims by mentioning Blackburn Road, totally irrelevant.

Persides, if my opposition was based on the owners being Muslim, I would also be complaining about Pizza Palace, Eat Well, Jalfrezi (Whatever its called now), Slice Of Heaven (Bottom Of Rhyddings Street), Village Pantry 2.. (Bottom Of Rhyddings Street)..

..And Im not complaining about them, because their shops look half decent! Aswel as most shops on Union Road. I was complaining about 'Ossy General Store' because it looks like garbage, not because the owners are Muslim.

D*ck Head.

People really do p*ss me off with your 'think you know it all' comments. You being one of them.
Don't jump out of your pram sonny.

If you'd have qualified your reference to Blackburn Road in the first place, you still have your dummy in the pram with you.

As someone, who in my opinion is more qualified as to the asthetics of something than you, I am right, and you therefore are sadly wrong.

See, I didn't have to be a big baby and resort to name calling.

Now try and go to sleep, and I'll wake you when it's time for your bottle.

Old 01-11-2006, 16:47   #28

Seriously. Get a life. I'll correct you 'oldie'. You think you are right. Therefore, you are wrong.

And get over the whole patronising talk! It really doesnt work! And makes you look like an idiot. You may think your Queen Bee, but believe me - your far from it.

Now go jump on your high horse and blow yer trumpet.

Blue Peter Badge? I think not.. =/
Old 01-11-2006, 16:52   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Seriously. Get a life. I'll correct you 'oldie'. You think you are right. Therefore, you are wrong.

And get over the whole patronising talk! It really doesnt work! And makes you look like an idiot. You may think your Queen Bee, but believe me - your far from it.

Now go jump on your high horse and blow yer trumpet.

Blue Peter Badge? I think not.. =/
You were wrong about the restaurant not having been closed for eighteen months.

You were wrong about the shop being at the entrance to the town. Besides most visitors to Ossy/Ossy Mills come from the Motorway, and never even pass this shop.

You are wrong that this shop looks worse than an empty restaurant.

As for me looking silly, you are wrong there too.

Resorting to name calling makes you the silly Billy that you are, not me.

Old 01-11-2006, 16:53   #30
Give, give, give member

P.S. With your karma deduction I signed it Rindy, which is me if you can't work it out.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..