Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 21:50   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Curious visitors

I feel Cashman is being a little dramatic! In my opinion accrington people are still proud of their town and appreciate the efforts being made on Broadway. It is bringing new life into the centre, although I do feel it is important not to lose the 'character' of the place. The market is unique and the arcade has identity which should be restored. I would also comment that more green spaces are needed.
Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2006, 22:23   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex

Willow, sitting areas in town are usually not planned for long-stay periods, human traffic in a centre is moving all the time, and think you will find most people will stay on an average of around 15 minutes before moving off..Ok just made that stastitic up .. but most stastitics quoted are made up on the spur of the moment, (so stastitics prove ) but you must know what I mean. Can't think there was ever large numbers of peoples sat on the forms next to the sunken gardens when I used to visit town.
I wasn't thnking as far back as the sunken gardens, I was referring to the raised flower beds which were there before the market was temporily relocated. It's not that long ago and even if everyone only sat there for a maximum of 15 minutes there were still plenty of people on those walls in addition to any official seating provided. People tend not to sit for as long on Blackbun Rd (breathing in lovely traffic fumes from the buses) or Union Street.

I think Atarah had some photos of the old sunken gardens. I'd be interested to see just how many people there are on those. I'll have to see if i can find them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 22:55   #18
Resting in Peace

Yeh, sorry Willow, realised that after I had posted ... don't think many forms alongside the sunken gardens if I remember rightly, but would be good to see some piccies again.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 23:46   #19
Resident Waffler

I've found one! There was a little wall along the bottom of the slope that it was possible to sit on. You can just about see one of the benches with a couple of people sitting on it up on the road level. Must not have been a very busy day that day!

Just looking at this now I remember those chain links between the little stone pillars and swinging them back and forth. They had a good weight to them and once you started them swinging it went on for ages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg odeon-and-gardens.jpg (59.7 KB, 15 views)

Old 10-10-2006, 23:59   #20
Resident Waffler

Here's the collection of Broadway pics I was thinking of. If you click the thumbnails you can see a larger version in the middle. The penultimate one shows the benches (more than we now have) and the walls that were often used as seats because the benches were full.

Old 11-10-2006, 18:44   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I've found one! There was a little wall along the bottom of the slope that it was possible to sit on. You can just about see one of the benches with a couple of people sitting on it up on the road level. Must not have been a very busy day that day!

Just looking at this now I remember those chain links between the little stone pillars and swinging them back and forth. They had a good weight to them and once you started them swinging it went on for ages.
I used to swing the chain links too .. wonder if at anytime, you held one end, me t'other, bet they are illegal now .. were pretty lethal looking. Wasn't there some on the Oak Hill Park Entrance ? Are they still there ?

Sorry Archstud (?) Got us reminiscing, and off yer' thread.

Anyway, Willow, shouldn't have bin sitting on the walls of the flower beds
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 18:54   #22
Resident Waffler

They did look dangerous with those great diamond shaped lumps in them didn't they?

Those walls alongside the flowerbeds were plenty wide enough to sit on. Kids used to walk along them like they do now on the one round St. James' church.

Old 11-10-2006, 23:13   #23
Junior Member+

It is interesting to hear about what Accy used to be like.... I like the picture of the sunken gardens too, that bit by Marks and Sparks has changed a bit hasn't it?

What would be the one thing you would change about the town centre for future generations?
Archstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 23:26   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archstud
What would be the one thing you would change about the town centre for future generations?
A better, more imaginative council.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 23:28   #25
Give, give, give member

....plus a much needed makeover for the bloody blue and white monstrosity, that is the Town Hall extension/Broadway shops.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:18   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Oh come on Cashman, only because like me, you are one of the older generation in town and long for the deck, the old jazz clubs. pubs as they were, etc. Things have had to change to suit a younger generation and this is what is happening.

We now have more shops than we ever did, although could do with a few more high street shops to bring the younger generation into town on a Saturday afternoon. I love the design of Broadway now and when the trees grow will be extremely pleasant to sit there in the Summers to come.

I also like the fact that there is very little traffic now in front of the Town/Market Hall and can stroll there a little safer than dodging the traffic to get to t'other side.

I think Marks and Spencers (sorry M&S) is the heart ... always meet someone I know in there when shopping.

Ok, not so many 'acquaintancies' as in the old days, as due to our loss of Industry, people are working further afield. I myself never travelled to Accrington centre whilst working in Manchester for 16 years ... no need.

Efforts are being made to improve Blackburn Road and looking much better.

We still have our Coppice and, if you make the effort, still a wonderful spectacle from there.

I think the nightlife is improving and love the way I am accepted for me, not my age, with the younger people of town .. just there to enjoy themselves. Events in our parks, more theatre events, etc., etc.

I will not profess to be an expert in Council matters, etc., but at least you have more access to speak your peace in what you wish to happen to your town instead of criticism constantly, behind their backs. No, I think the heart beat is still extremely strong ! There said my bit now.
katex just answer this simple question! Do you think it has changed for the better? and as for the coppice they destroyed that lovely hill by planting all those sodding trees.ruining the hill and also the nice walk direct to the top.and pumpkin i don't think i'm being dramatic just stating it as i see it,but your entitled to your opinion.
Old 12-10-2006, 13:15   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
katex just answer this simple question! Do you think it has changed for the better? and as for the coppice they destroyed that lovely hill by planting all those sodding trees.ruining the hill and also the nice walk direct to the top.and pumpkin i don't think i'm being dramatic just stating it as i see it,but your entitled to your opinion.
I always thought it was strange it was called the Coppice, yet didn't have any trees planted on it until relatively recently.

Surely it must have once been planted with trees, otherwise we wouldn't have called it the Coppice in the first place?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice

Old 12-10-2006, 13:18   #28
Resident Waffler

It may once have had trees but surely if it did it would have been more natural looking than them things up there now!

Old 12-10-2006, 13:20   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It may once have had trees but surely if it did it would have been more natural looking than them things up there now!
Would it look 'natural'?

Coppicing is managed woodland after all.

Old 12-10-2006, 14:55   #30
Resident Waffler

I was told when I was at Peel Park school that it was probaby a corruption of he word 'copse', which funnily enough is itself derived from 'coppice' but came to refer to any small wooded area rather than just a managed woodland of coppiced trees. Either way it was probably trees which belonged naturally to the area which them lot what we've got up there just don't seem to do. They look incongruous.

Mind you at school I was told that Accrington was so named because the town was surrounded by oak trees but we've had various disagreements about that too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..