Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 14:36   #1
Junior Member+

Curious visitors

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student from Sheffield Uni ,part of a group that are looking at the public space in the town centre. We've been wondering round a bit for the past week or so meeting people and getting to know the place a bit. We are really keen to know people's thoughts on the current town centre and what it could be like in the future.

Where would you say the heart of Accrington is?
Archstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2006, 15:23   #2
God Member

Re: Curious visitors

just off livingston road
Old 09-10-2006, 15:31   #3
God Member

What scale are you looking at? I think most people would say that the heart of Accy is that area west of Manchester/Whalley road to the northern point where the railway viaduct crosses Whalley Road, then east of that viaduct to the southerly point which was the site of the old railway station, then north of a line running from that station to the police station on Manchester road..if that makes any sense. The epicentre of that would be the area around the town/market halls.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 21:15   #4
Junior Member+

How about the arcade? It has a lot of character...
Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 23:11   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think tealeafs summed it pretty well. myself i would say the heart has long since been ripped out of our town.
Old 09-10-2006, 23:14   #6
Resident Waffler

I tend to agree with Cashman.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 23:37   #7
Member.

I would agree with Tealeaf, and entirely with Cashman’s Sentiment. I use to believe that the heart of Accrington was in it’s people, alas far too few people appear to hold it so close, those present on this site being the exception perhaps. From my childhood I recall a depth of pride and belonging which I feel is lost.

Maybe a little sentimental perhaps, but it was home and my first life’s breath.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 14:41   #8
Junior Member+

Question Re: Curious visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
think tealeafs summed it pretty well. myself i would say the heart has long since been ripped out of our town.
Has the town centre been changed a lot then? What's been ripped out exactly- is this physical, emotional or something else?
Archstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 15:29   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archstud
Hi Everyone,

I'm a student from Sheffield Uni ,part of a group that are looking at the public space in the town centre. We've been wondering round a bit for the past week or so meeting people and getting to know the place a bit.
I take it you mean wandering, not wondering around for the past week or so?

Sounds good.

What's the name of the course you're on?

I think I could handle that, and will enroll next year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 18:57   #10
Resting in peace

:engsmil: The only thing wrong with Accrington is the town hall and the present incumbents, iv'e lived here all my life almost 64 years, my opinins count for nothing with these 'paid servants'.
Bring back the days of the 'professionals' who worked for nothing and did not need paying, the system was not perfect but at least they knew what they were doing, ok call them what you will tories ,bosses, or gaffers at least they ran the town within the budget, just as they ran their businesses.
This reply is my own opinion of the way I see this town today. :engsmil:
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 19:34   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
Oh come on Cashman, only because like me, you are one of the older generation in town and long for the deck, the old jazz clubs. pubs as they were, etc. Things have had to change to suit a younger generation and this is what is happening.

We now have more shops than we ever did, although could do with a few more high street shops to bring the younger generation into town on a Saturday afternoon. I love the design of Broadway now and when the trees grow will be extremely pleasant to sit there in the Summers to come.

I also like the fact that there is very little traffic now in front of the Town/Market Hall and can stroll there a little safer than dodging the traffic to get to t'other side.

I think Marks and Spencers (sorry M&S) is the heart ... always meet someone I know in there when shopping.

Ok, not so many 'acquaintancies' as in the old days, as due to our loss of Industry, people are working further afield. I myself never travelled to Accrington centre whilst working in Manchester for 16 years ... no need.

Efforts are being made to improve Blackburn Road and looking much better.

We still have our Coppice and, if you make the effort, still a wonderful spectacle from there.

I think the nightlife is improving and love the way I am accepted for me, not my age, with the younger people of town .. just there to enjoy themselves. Events in our parks, more theatre events, etc., etc.

I will not profess to be an expert in Council matters, etc., but at least you have more access to speak your peace in what you wish to happen to your town instead of criticism constantly, behind their backs. No, I think the heart beat is still extremely strong ! There said my bit now.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 19:45   #12
Resident Waffler

Ah yes, the parks - a bit more maintenance wouldn't go amiss there. And why can't we have decent loos? All parks used to have them at one time. It's surely not a modern thing to have nowhere to go when you go somewhere. As for the loo we have got in Peel Street - what has HBC got against us ladies having mirrors in there so we can powder our noses when we go to powder our noses? Other towns have mirrors in the public toilets. Why not Accy?

We'll have to agree to disagree about Broadway katex. I don't even think there are enough seats for the number of people who might want to take the weight of their feet on a nice day. Do you recall how many people used to sit on the walls around those flower beds?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 19:55   #13
Resting in peace

:engsmil: That traffic Kate x is right out side my front door twenty four hours a day, it's time it was put back in front of the town hall, if you cross after the police have gone 'to bed' nobody cares a damn everyone drives through, more so on council meeting days they are the worst offenders, that is why it will never be closed.
One persons solution is anothers problem, try sleeping with taxi drivers horns greeting each other at 4am.
Old 10-10-2006, 20:05   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
One persons solution is anothers problem, try sleeping with taxi drivers horns greeting each other at 4am.
Well, that's illegal, ain't it ? .. report it. Have your say to the Council and see if they can be moved on. Planning has to be thought out for the good of the people as a whole (unfortunately for you), not for the individual.

Willow, sitting areas in town are usually not planned for long-stay periods, human traffic in a centre is moving all the time, and think you will find most people will stay on an average of around 15 minutes before moving off..Ok just made that stastitic up .. but most stastitics quoted are made up on the spur of the moment, (so stastitics prove ) but you must know what I mean. Can't think there was ever large numbers of peoples sat on the forms next to the sunken gardens when I used to visit town.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 20:25   #15
Resting in peace

:engsmil: Cuncillors are only concerned with the catchment area votes, not an old fool who is isolated in no mans land Katex, any cries of foul by myself would only provoke a good laugh at the town hall, has anyone won a do with a 'taxi' driver? Every driver that comes to the roundabout at Paradise St has at sometime or other pipped the horn in impatience, I know I hear them 24 hours a day.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..