Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 15:26   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Curious visitors

Here are the photos I took on Broadway today which I hope will illustrate why I am not impressed. Apart from the fact that Broadway always seems to be "a work in progress" the street furniture just looks so bland and boring. I know PB and Co wanted to make sure there'd be enough space for the visiting French market but they seem to have been more interested in leaving enough room for the occasional visiting market than in ensuring that our own regular market was properly catered for.

Please note the empty shop and office properties to, an all too common site in the town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broadway 120.jpg (149.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg broadway 121.jpg (162.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg broadway 122.jpg (135.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg broadway 123.jpg (127.5 KB, 13 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2006, 16:24   #32
Give, give, give member

What I don't understand re:Broadway, is why they are resurfacing the bit that was supposedly finished last year, outside Home & Bargains?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 16:29   #33
Resident Waffler

Something to do with it being the wrong kind of tarmac I was told.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 16:31   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Something to do with it being the wrong kind of tarmac I was told.
Unbelievable!!!

They already changed their minds last year about the surface, laying the red beachy grit on top of the finished black tarmac.

Not get drunk in a brewery springs to mind.

Old 12-10-2006, 17:52   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
katex just answer this simple question! Do you think it has changed for the better? and as for the coppice they destroyed that lovely hill by planting all those sodding trees.ruining the hill and also the nice walk direct to the top.and pumpkin i don't think i'm being dramatic just stating it as i see it,but your entitled to your opinion.
Well, yes actually I do think it has changed for the better sweet, darling Cashman ... will ask a question with a question ... which time warp would you wish Accrington to be stuck in ? ... have to move on with modern trends to compete with other towns and the demands of the rising generations, don't you think ?

Loved the piccies from Willow of the sunken gardens because of my memories, however, if you think back, was very little shopping in the area of the now Arndale, was wholly the Market and the Market Hall, plus a few surrounding shops, that would not invite anyone now ... I had to travel to Man. to get a decent dress in them days.

Whether the council are implementing plans of great quality is a matter of the individual's taste, but at least, I feel a good effort is in force for the space available. Had to incorporate a car park too,because of the ongoing wealth/laziness of our society but at least they don't charge.

As for the Coppice, I love the trees .. a much more pleasant walk; and as for the direct route up to the top, could be extremely difficult, soggy and slippy with a few strips of concrete here and there, which disguised themselves as steps.

I would like to see a few more high street shops on the top end of Broadway instead of the Poundsaver shops and I think, in time, this could happen if a good case is put forward. Also, a regular night of late night shopping could help and give the town a buzz as workers can meet workers during these hours. Some sort of entertainment would be lovely too on this night on Broadway to jolly people along.

Course you entitled to your opinion .. I respect that, however, just a wild statement is of no use .. that's why Pumpkin said what she said.

Hope we still friends ... enjoy your hols xxxxx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 19:38   #36
Junior Member+

I heard today that the town hall has a wonderful ballroom- has anyone ever been to any celebrations there?
Archstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 20:09   #37
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
Every driver that comes to the roundabout at Paradise St has at sometime or other pipped the horn in impatience, I know I hear them 24 hours a day.
And you once told us that you wanted to remain anonymous

I saw through you from the first time you posted

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 20:20   #38
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Oh come on Cashman, only because like me, you are one of the older generation in town and long for the deck, the old jazz clubs. pubs as they were, etc. Things have had to change to suit a younger generation and this is what is happening.

We now have more shops than we ever did, although could do with a few more high street shops to bring the younger generation into town on a Saturday afternoon. I love the design of Broadway now and when the trees grow will be extremely pleasant to sit there in the Summers to come.

I also like the fact that there is very little traffic now in front of the Town/Market Hall and can stroll there a little safer than dodging the traffic to get to t'other side.

I think Marks and Spencers (sorry M&S) is the heart ... always meet someone I know in there when shopping.

Ok, not so many 'acquaintancies' as in the old days, as due to our loss of Industry, people are working further afield. I myself never travelled to Accrington centre whilst working in Manchester for 16 years ... no need.

Efforts are being made to improve Blackburn Road and looking much better.

We still have our Coppice and, if you make the effort, still a wonderful spectacle from there.

I think the nightlife is improving and love the way I am accepted for me, not my age, with the younger people of town .. just there to enjoy themselves. Events in our parks, more theatre events, etc., etc.

I will not profess to be an expert in Council matters, etc., but at least you have more access to speak your peace in what you wish to happen to your town instead of criticism constantly, behind their backs. No, I think the heart beat is still extremely strong ! There said my bit now.
Katex if the above is what you see and think of Accrington so be it, I really can't agree with you, I'd even go so far as to ask you to remove those rosed tinted spectacles you are wearing when you go into town. After reading your post all I could think of was the new Lily Allen video for the song L.D.N. try to watch it sometime.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 22:52   #39
Give, give, give member

Someone has had a letter published anonymously in this weekend's Observer.

'Accrington is much improved, blah blah blah, aren't the council wonderful, blah blah blah, isn't Greg Pope awful, blah blah blah.'

I think it may have been a rose tinted, glasses wearing, Tory, who sadly didn't have the bottle to sign his name to his/her thoughts on the regeneration of Accrington.

Old 12-10-2006, 23:22   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Someone has had a letter published anonymously in this weekend's Observer.

'Accrington is much improved, blah blah blah, aren't the council wonderful, blah blah blah, isn't Greg Pope awful, blah blah blah.'

I think it may have been a rose tinted, glasses wearing, Tory, who sadly didn't have the bottle to sign his name to his/her thoughts on the regeneration of Accrington.
Hope ya' not suggesting 'tis me Garinda ... not so literate, I'm afraid.

Last edited by katex; 12-10-2006 at 23:31.
Old 12-10-2006, 23:32   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Hope ya' not suggesting 'tis me Garinda ... not so literate, I'm afraid.
No, it might have been B. Pritcliffe though.

Old 21-10-2006, 11:44   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archstud
I heard today that the town hall has a wonderful ballroom- has anyone ever been to any celebrations there?
Yes, has a good floor up there, however, never felt comfy in that ballroom, roof very high and lighting a little dull, long and narrow .. somehow not a good lay-out, not like the Conservative Club Ballroom which was squarer and could see most of the people in the room at any given time .. sure people understand what I mean.

Anyway, seems you lot from Sheffield will be in Accy on Tuesday on the market, to 'present ideas, proposals and visions of what could be possible in Accrington'. Cross referencing this thread also with Less's on Rose coloured criticism .. perhaps some of our members will visit you to see what outsiders and young bright minds have to say.

Last edited by katex; 21-10-2006 at 11:46.
Old 21-10-2006, 12:35   #43
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Cross referencing this thread also with Less's on Rose coloured criticism ..
Eh, you what? What am I being blamed for now? That's Rindys thread not mine.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 13:12   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Eh, you what? What am I being blamed for now? That's Rindys thread not mine.
Hmph ! Trust you to nitpick !
Old 21-10-2006, 15:46   #45
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
What I don't understand re:Broadway, is why they are resurfacing the bit that was supposedly finished last year, outside Home & Bargains?
I though only the bit outside the pound shop had been worn away so soon. Home and Bargain must have a lot of special offers as well

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..