Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2008, 10:43   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Divorce

When I got devorced in 1991 (the happiest day of my life) I had be seperated for about 26 months, we both agreed to the divorce, we both filled in the forms took them in to Oak Street and we got the decree nisi 6 weeks later and never went to court or anything, I think it cost us £65 each. Whether things have changed now I don't know?
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2008, 18:43   #17
Senior Member+

My divorce is going through the solicitors on the grounds of adultery (not me might I add!!!) I got told by them it should take about 6 months from start to finish as he admitted it, signed confession etc etc but its been nearly 8 months now (I know he did "sit on" the papers for a good few weeks though) am hoping it wont take long now but just curious if anyone else had been in the same situation and had guestimates on how long from now, waiting for a party lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 18:47   #18
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

never beeen married so havent a clue. all these people getting divorced, wonder how much was spent on the weddings
Old 30-01-2008, 18:47   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I did my own divorce, it took 11 weeks from start to finish and cost us £75 each..

Solicitors will drag the process out and tell you that it is a complicated process. This is complete twaddle, the petition is as easy to fill out as a passport form and you just take it to the court and hand it in, they do the rest.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 18:54   #20
Senior Member+

didnt even know about a "quikkie" divorce, just went to solicitors, thought that was my only option and i just wanted to get things started
Old 30-01-2008, 18:55   #21
Senior Member+

I too didn't even realise you could do it yourself.....wonder how much money/time has been wasted by others not knowing this?

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 19:01   #22
God Member

I think there are only certain circumstances where you can do your own. Usually uncontested and where assets and children are not involved from memory.Somebody else can look it up
Old 30-01-2008, 20:32   #23
God Member

My first divorce was a quickie with no solicitor or barrister - 2 years apart/mutual consent.
Because we had a child there were added procedures-
A 'Guardianship of Minors Order' which sorted child maintenance and access before the divorce, and I had to attend divorce court in person to convince the judge that the child arrangements were satisfactory.

My 2nd divorce was a pitched battle which took 2 years, involving-
3 injunction hearings to stop his harrassment
2 valuations of house and contents (even knives and forks!)
I emerged about £10,000 poorer than if I had never married him
(that was a lot of money 28 yrs ago- see chaps it isn't always the man who gets stung financially)
I was granted a divorce for his adultery AND 'intolerable behaviour'.

So when you ask 'how long does it take' - I say it is like asking
'how long is a piece of string'
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 20:35   #24
Senior Member+

Thanks, am just going to have to hold in there i guess
Old 30-01-2008, 22:18   #25
Resident Waffler

There must be so many variations in people's different circumstances which may be why there is no set length of time it takes.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:57   #26

The length of time for the divorce depends on the circumstances of the individual marriage and grounds that are filed for the divorce.

The only definitive timescale is the time from decree nisi to decree absolut which If I recall correctly is 6 weeks
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 19:55   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
The length of time for the divorce depends on the circumstances of the individual marriage and grounds that are filed for the divorce.

The only definitive timescale is the time from decree nisi to decree absolut which If I recall correctly is 6 weeks

You're right, solicitor applies for decree absolut 6 wk and 1 day after decree nisi

Got hearing date for decree nici - 28th March - cant wait!!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
You're right, solicitor applies for decree absolut 6 wk and 1 day after decree nisi

Got hearing date for decree nici - 28th March - cant wait!!!!!
Are we all invited to th divorce party then emzy
Old 11-03-2008, 21:19   #29
Senior Member+

oh dear, thats why i dont get married, too much money wasted in weddings and then it all goes down toilet.(only joking)
i dont want to get married cuz my bf wont accept the fact that when i get married i want to keep my surnames and not take his, he says that he wont get married till i do so i guess we will never get married, i just dont want to belong to no one and im really happy to carry my parents surnames till i die
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:24   #30
God Member

I got back my original surname by deed poll.
I don't think women should change their surname on marriage.
It makes it hard to trace your old school pals, and your identity gets immersed into his.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..