Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2010, 10:13   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Global Conference Centre, Oswaldtwistle

I'd like to stress again just how important my mum, and many other people, view our war memorials.

Growing up without a dad, the War Memorial in Oswaldtwistle was seen as her dad's grave. The only place she felt she could be close to the the father who although he was excited about her birth, never got the chance to see her. My Nan could never talk about him much, even to his two grandsons, my brother and myself, even decades after, as she still found it too raw.

I'm proud of my mum's actions yesterday.

She'd have done the same thing if she'd seen an advertisment plonked on anyone else's grave, up the church yard.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2010, 10:30   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'll probably get into bother for mentioning it on here.

My mum would only resort to speaking to the press, and making a fuss, if she ever saw it there again, which hopefully it won't, now various things have been set in motion, thanks to the assistance of some people who've read this thread.
First hope she don't clout you second good to see AW are able to sort things out like this and bring them to the attention of who can take the necessary steps
Old 14-06-2010, 10:36   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'd like to stress again just how important my mum, and many other people, view our war memorials.

Growing up without a dad, the War Memorial in Oswaldtwistle was seen as her dad's grave. The only place she felt she could be close to the the father who although he was excited about her birth, never got the chance to see her. My Nan could never talk about him much, even to his two grandsons, my brother and myself, even decades after, as she still found it too raw.

I'm proud of my mum's actions yesterday.

She'd have done the same thing if she'd seen an advertisment plonked on anyone else's grave, up the church yard.
I think I've said before that I can still remember your Nan laying a wreath on remembrance Sunday at the War Memorial with tears in her eyes, unfortunately there are people who are prepared to ride rough shod over other peoples feelings, the sad thing being they don't even realise they're doing it
Old 14-06-2010, 10:37   #34
Resting in Peace

Can never understand what is in people's minds when they do something so insensitive ... love what your mum did though... a lady of action. Excellent..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 10:41   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think I've said before that I can still remember your Nan laying a wreath on remembrance Sunday at the War Memorial with tears in her eyes, unfortunately there are people who are prepared to ride rough shod over other peoples feelings, the sad thing being they don't even realise they're doing it
Blimey if my Nan had still been alive, they'd be picking teeth up off the floor of the Global Centre.

Old 14-06-2010, 13:55   #36
Give, give, give member

Hopefully this matter will now be resolved, and won't happen again.

I'd like to thank Claytonender, Cllr. Joan Smith, for involving herself in the matter, and offering her advice and help.

Also to one of my own councillors, Peter Britcliffe, who was on to it before I contacted him.

The power of Accy Web.

On behalf of myself, my mother, and everyone else, for whom the War Memorial is a very special place of rememberance, thank you.

Old 14-06-2010, 14:08   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Hopefully this matter will now be resolved, and won't happen again.

I'd like to thank Claytonender, Cllr. Joan Smith, for involving herself in the matter, and offering her advice and help.

Also to one of my own councillors, Peter Britcliffe, who was on to it before I contacted him.

The power of Accy Web.

On behalf of myself, my mother, and everyone else, for whom the War Memorial is a very special place of rememberance, thank you.
Glad to hear a resolution is in prospect, still does not excuse these ignorant gets being rude to yer mam, doubt somehow if the've worked together on this, but nice one both councillors.
Old 14-06-2010, 20:54   #38
God Member

I love your mum rindy, and respectfully proud of her actions i'd of done the same, having been on a homage trip thro Ieper where many ww1 allies lost there lives, its an eerie place and a huge memorial in fact whole town holds many huge memorials. They have the hugest respect in belgium, shame not so in this case with the global in ossy.

Last edited by Stanleymad; 14-06-2010 at 20:56.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 01:26   #39

I too am glad your mum has sorted this out and stuck up for herself and her family. Good on her for that. I have family names on that memorial and think it's awful that people don't have enough respect to not put their advertising boards up in front of it. What the hell were they thinking?
Well done Garinda's mum
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..