Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2010, 00:23   #16
God Member

Re: Nouvelle cuisine in Rishton. Help?

Wonder if Rishtoners still buy their Olive oil at the chemists as a cure for ear-ache , Sure Ken Moss will be able to put us right
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2010, 00:31   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Up north we don't care for green beans on the same plate as blueberries, even when arranged artisticly
Oh dear, because I once went on a train, and ventured further south than Watford, does that mean I'm not a 'real' northerner?

Whilst you're hibernating, eating your organic supermarket produce, and rolling your own, there's quite a lot of well used 'fancy' eating places, here in t'north.

Some, like Accrington lad Nigel Haworth's Northcote Manor, even have one of those fancy Michellin stars. Though I believe they only serve a reduced jus of winberries on their beans, prefering to use locally sourced fruits.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 00:39   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Wonder if Rishtoners still buy their Olive oil at the chemists as a cure for ear-ache , Sure Ken Moss will be able to put us right
We've still got a bottle of it from the sixties. You don't need more than a drop in a sore lug 'ole. So it lasts for ages.

In 1978 I'd been skiing in Switzerland, and wanted to make a cheese fondue when I returned. The only place in Hyndburn I could find garlic was at a little Polish deli on Avenue Parade.

How tastes have changed.

Now it's should I have a panini or a ciabatta chip butty.

Old 18-04-2010, 03:26   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

At the end of the sixties and into the early seventies, I lived and worked far, far away in a place called Clitheroe.

Very up market they knew how to live the life of luxury there.

Just along Lowergate there was a restaurant??? It was run by a Polish couple, (back then not all poles were plumbers), we would head to this den of culinary delight after closing time, and be served with some of the best bangers and mash ever to be found on British soil.
It wasn't a trendy theme sort of a place, it was a very large wooden hut, food was served on tin plates, and the scars still remain from the splinters from the well scrubbed wooden benches on which we sat at large communal tables.
We would have to queue outside and you sat where you were put on entering, we never knew who we would be sat next to but the communal spirit in that place meant that this didn't matter many an interesting conversation was enjoyed between complete strangers and the banter and bonhomie, created by this middle aged couple, was far more enjoyable than could be found in the so called up market eateries that would close almost as soon as they had opened because in comparison, such places had no atmosphere.

Please excuse me while I go for a quick drool,

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!

Sausages.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 07:22   #20
Give, give, give member

Er...I didn't start this thread to defend nouvelle cuisine.

By refering to dolly sized portions, and eating gold leafed flowers, I would have hoped that that might have been clear.

Whoosh.

I just wondered if anyone remembered the name of the place.

The eighties were the decade that taste forgot.

Hell, the majority of you must have bought into the whole flashy excess dream, because you returned a Conservative M.P. in that tasteless decade.

Someone will remember, and I'll be grateful.

Old 18-04-2010, 07:38   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
It tells you about this building on this site, though you can't quote from it.

It's about half way down, and says it was a house built by John Parker, before becoming the Manchester Bank in 1909, then later Nat West, and in 1995 became a restaurant.

High Street or Front Street Rishton

Old 18-04-2010, 07:40   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...I didn't start this thread to defend nouvelle cuisine.

By refering to dolly sized portions, and eating gold leafed flowers, I would have hoped that that might have been clear.

Whoosh.

I just wondered if anyone remembered the name of the place.

The eighties were the decade that taste forgot.

Hell, the majority of you must have bought into the whole flashy excess dream, because you returned a Conservative M.P. in that tasteless decade.

Someone will remember, and I'll be grateful.
Er, no, you didn't and er, yes you did make it clear, but I blame you for bringing up your food...
memories, which now has me in a similar situation, because I can't remember the name of that eatery and as the Mystical town of Clitheroe, seems to have become a rarely discussed subject on our local pages the chances of someone putting me out of my misery are far less than your own.

I dare say the shed will still be in it's original position but by now it will have new owners and probably look like this:-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-sheds1.JPG (147.6 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Less; 18-04-2010 at 07:43.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 07:54   #23
Give, give, give member

Obviously people like the subject of nosh, past and present.

Perhaps someone will start anepicurean thread, and local gastromony can be slagged off, or praised, as people see fit.

Last edited by garinda; 18-04-2010 at 07:58.
Old 19-04-2010, 09:17   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Returning from a family dinner out in Ramsbottom/Bury way tonight, (Fisherman's retreat, very good,) we were discussing the number of local restaurants which have closed down over the years.

We were talking about one that opened up in Rishton in an old Co-op building, though it could have been Gt. Harwood. Late eighties.

We think the chef/owner was called Wiggington, a local, who'd been trained in London, and later returned north to open a very swishy nouvelle cuisine restaurant.

It was decorated black and white inside, like an eighties Adam and the Ants pop video. Very chic, and probably a bit ahead of it's time, because it only lasted a few years. Lancastrians prefering something a bit more filling than some foam, drizzled with jus, next to an artfully placed flower.

I can only come up with the name Harlequins, but my Ma thinks it had a French name.

Anyone remember?

Please settle the confusion going round in my bonce.

You were right Garinda, there was a restaurant in the co-op builds which closed down, but it was in Great Harwood, the chap that owned it was called Wigglesworth, can remember his first name, but his Mother and Father Brian and Rita lived on Mallard Place opposite to where I live, sadly Brian died a few years ago but Rita still lives in the same flat, would think Wynonie knew Brian from the Stop and Rest many moons ago, hope that helps with your problem Garinda
Old 19-04-2010, 09:34   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You were right Garinda, there was a restaurant in the co-op builds which closed down, but it was in Great Harwood, the chap that owned it was called Wigglesworth, can remember his first name, but his Mother and Father Brian and Rita lived on Mallard Place opposite to where I live, sadly Brian died a few years ago but Rita still lives in the same flat, would think Wynonie knew Brian from the Stop and Rest many moons ago, hope that helps with your problem Garinda
Hurrah, thank you.

Getting closer.

It was in the old Co-op in Arrod then, and the owner was called Wigglesworth.

Apparently my dad used to play golf with Wigglesworth Snr., in the early seventies.

Ring any bells with anyone re: the name of the place?

Old 19-04-2010, 09:41   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hurrah, thank you.

Getting closer.

It was in the old Co-op in A Rrod then, and the owner was called Wigglesworth.

Apparently my dad used to play golf with Wigglesworth Snr., in the early seventies.

Ring any bells with anyone re: the name of the place?
Not sure about the early seventies Garinda, Mr Wigglesworth Jr had the place in the eighties, in the seventies seem to think it was a canteen of some sort, think it may have been run by an ex Accrington Cricketer, maybe Russ Cuddey, but not sure. Used to have lunch there when I was working on shopfitting in the area. Thought Ken may have known something but it must have been before his time
Old 19-04-2010, 09:49   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not sure about the early seventies Garinda, Mr Wigglesworth Jr had the place in the eighties, in the seventies seem to think it was a canteen of some sort, think it may have been run by an ex Accrington Cricketer, maybe Russ Cuddey, but not sure. Used to have lunch there when I was working on shopfitting in the area. Thought Ken may have known something but it must have been before his time
No my dad apparently played golf with his dad in the early seventies.

The nouvelle cuisine restaurant, which we now know is in Gt. Harwood, was trading in the late eighties.

I don't know Arrod that well, but it might be where Soprano's is now, if it's the same old Co-op.

Also on Glebe Street, across from the Post Office, the Co-operative Society built this imposing building opened in 1909 on the site of the old Vicarage in a similar style to the Town Hall.
Originally housing offices and separate shops the ground floor was later made into a supermarket whilst above furniture and other household goods were sold. A purpose built supermarket was erected across the street which has itself been superceeded. The old building did continue as a retail outlet but it is now Soprano's, a cafe/bar thing.

Architecture of Great Harwood

Old 19-04-2010, 09:55   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No my dad apparently played golf with his dad in the early seventies.

The nouvelle cuisine restaurant, which we now know is in Gt. Harwood, was trading in the late eighties.

I don't know Arrod that well, but it might be where Soprano's is now, if it's the same old Co-op.

Also on Glebe Street, across from the Post Office, the Co-operative Society built this imposing building opened in 1909 on the site of the old Vicarage in a similar style to the Town Hall.
Originally housing offices and separate shops the ground floor was later made into a supermarket whilst above furniture and other household goods were sold. A purpose built supermarket was erected across the street which has itself been superseded. The old building did continue as a retail outlet but it is now Soprano's, a cafe/bar thing.
Architecture of Great Harwood
Sorry, thought you meant the restaurant in the early 70s, ya Brian was a keen golfer and played at Accrington and was a regular in the Golfers Corner in the Stop and Rest with Wynonie's Dad and of course your parents were regulars in the Stop too, that's how I got to know them
Old 19-04-2010, 10:00   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Nobody remembers because only you ever went

Quote:
his Mother and Father Brian and Rita lived on Mallard Place opposite to where I live, sadly Brian died a few years ago but Rita still lives in the same flat
Seeing as you're so close, perhaps you can pop round, and ask her if she ever went.

Old 19-04-2010, 10:13   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Seeing as you're so close, perhaps you can pop round, and ask her if she ever went.

She is actually on the 'phone Garinda, sure with your charm, she would not object to a quick call. Don't want to put the number up, but think you will find it easy.

Haha .. I pulled up that bit from the Gt. Harwood history site too. Even looked in Shurmer's guide of 1988, but not listed ... only Baggie's wine bar, which I think was on the other side ?

Hurry up and get the answer please, driving me potty too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..