Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What catagory does your job fall into?
Bar/food/hotel 1 2.63%
cleaning 2 5.26%
retail 1 2.63%
Office/Clerical/Admin/IT 5 13.16%
factory worker 2 5.26%
public services (including forces, teaching, health care, all forms of public service) 17 44.74%
Construction 1 2.63%
Other (volunteer work, finance, leisure etc) 4 10.53%
Student 3 7.89%
Unemployed 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 16:25   #46

Re: What job sector do you work in?

You're right there slinky. But you would expect LCC who are meant to be a caring organisation to actually care about staff. But then again i suppose we're not even a name to them probably just a number. But i think probably part of that is they type of manager you have.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2007, 16:34   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
Haven't got one.
How do u expect to find a job with no cv? In fact, do you actually leave the house to look for one
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 17:19   #48
Passed away 25-11-09

I joined the Inland Revenue in 1959, left at the end of 1963 to have my first child and went back again in 1984. During that time, but not all at once, to put it briefly I looked after tax codes and allowances etc., assessed tax on individuals and companies, raised tax on properties (when it existed), repaid Post War Credits, switched to collecting and banking tax and chasing non-payers, switched again to dealing with Self Assessment, decided Appeals, managed a group of 12 people, investigated people who didn't comply with tax law and, last of all, investigated Tax Credits.

I enjoyed my job, it was always interesting, but I'm enjoying being retired now and I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work.
Old 08-11-2007, 17:21   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I joined the Inland Revenue in 1959, left at the end of 1963 to have my first child and went back again in 1984. During that time, but not all at once, to put it briefly I looked after tax codes and allowances etc., assessed tax on individuals and companies, raised tax on properties (when it existed), repaid Post War Credits, switched to collecting and banking tax and chasing non-payers, switched again to dealing with Self Assessment, decided Appeals, managed a group of 12 people, investigated people who didn't comply with tax law and, last of all, investigated Tax Credits.

I enjoyed my job, it was always interesting, but I'm enjoying being retired now and I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work.
36 karma points ....... gone in 60 seconds lmao

Only joking

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 18:04   #50
Beacon of light

I am retired now, but was a Nurse for 30 years...I taught Nurses too, and also attained an NVQ in Management to Level 5......I have worked in an accounts office..I was a Jacquard Weaver before I married....worked in a shop......a fairly well rounded working life.
What did I like the best? Looking after sick people......and training Nurses.
What did I like least? I hated the way that medicine/nursing was lowered to the market value of things...people are not tins of beans. I hated the way that politicians meddled in the delivery of care by introducing targets. I hated the way it became more important for me to attend meetings than to look after patients....if it were not for patients there would be no job anyway......they were my number one prime concern.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 18:08   #51
Beacon of light

And I don't think being retired equates to being unemployed.......being retired usually means that we have contributed over a long period of time to the wealth of this country.
I could work because I am still fit and healthy, but I doubt that any emploer would look at any application I made and get past the age 60 without assuming that I am past it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 21:02   #52
Junior Member+

i make carpets for a living and also a fork lift truck driver.
Old 08-11-2007, 21:07   #53
Member.

Director - Care Provider (self employed).

Formally Aux Nurse, Carer, Care Manager, Care Adviser/Developer, Registered Manager and recentley unemployed.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 21:13   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And I don't think being retired equates to being unemployed.......being retired usually means that we have contributed over a long period of time to the wealth of this country.
I could work because I am still fit and healthy, but I doubt that any emploer would look at any application I made and get past the age 60 without assuming that I am past it.
You may have retired from your job but you are still contributing in my eyes. You are looking after your grand-children so your daughter can go to uni and what about all the shopping you do for your ma and all the other people who aren't as mobile as you!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 22:23   #55

I agree Margaret, I have made my contribution, I am retired, but worked all my life, first as an a assistant then as a qualified librarian (14 years) had 3 children in 4 years,then was an editor for 19 years before being self-employed in the furniture trade - and I have had three happy marriages and no complaints .
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 22:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
I agree Margaret, I have made my contribution, I am retired, but worked all my life, first as an a assistant then as a qualified librarian (14 years) had 3 children in 4 years,then was an editor for 19 years before being self-employed in the furniture trade - and I have had three happy marriages and no complaints .
It never crossed my mind before, I never thought that one would have to qualify to be a librarian, certainly never realised they had assistants. You learn something every day as they say
Old 08-11-2007, 22:31   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
It never crossed my mind before, I never thought that one would have to qualify to be a librarian, certainly never realised they had assistants. You learn something every day as they say
My daughter in law got a university degree to be a librarian

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 22:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My daughter in law got a university degree to be a librarian
Not for one second has it ever crossed my mind until now what the job involves and I'm sure I'm only thinking of a fraction of what the actual job entails.
Old 08-11-2007, 22:56   #59

Bonny,There is more to being a librarian than stamping books - I spent a year at uni learning how to classify non-fiction books.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 23:06   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
- and I have had three happy marriages and no complaints .
That has got to be the quote of the year LOL .. sorry, just fun.

Not particularly good selection Blazey, however, all credit to a lovely thread.
Shame no manufacturing entry, although, maybe factory worker covers this but not worded professionally ? .. low in ticks though .. sad.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..