Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What catagory does your job fall into?
Bar/food/hotel 1 2.63%
cleaning 2 5.26%
retail 1 2.63%
Office/Clerical/Admin/IT 5 13.16%
factory worker 2 5.26%
public services (including forces, teaching, health care, all forms of public service) 17 44.74%
Construction 1 2.63%
Other (volunteer work, finance, leisure etc) 4 10.53%
Student 3 7.89%
Unemployed 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 21:15   #1
God Member

What job sector do you work in?

What area of work do you fit into, and whats the best and worst thing about your job? Tell everybody about what you do, and why you chose to go into that line of work. Lets see who has the most interesting job in Accrington and the surrounding districts.

Kept the options brief so I might not have included you in anything other than other, but still tell us about it!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2007, 21:34   #2
God Member

Re: What job sector do you work in?

How did you manage to put student in a list of work titles ?
Old 07-11-2007, 21:36   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
How did you manage to put student in a list of work titles ?
Well Unemployed isnt a career either but i thought it should a fair representation of everyone does for their major 'work'.
For example, I have a pile of work to do for tomorrow morning, and if I dont get it done I will be in trouble with my lecture, as equally as you'd get told off if you didnt do your work either. And unemployed people 'work' around their homes, be it tidying up or DIY or whatever.
Old 07-11-2007, 21:44   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Well Unemployed isnt a career either but i thought it should a fair representation of everyone does for their major 'work'.
For example, I have a pile of work to do for tomorrow morning, and if I dont get it done I will be in trouble with my lecture, as equally as you'd get told off if you didnt do your work either. And unemployed people 'work' around their homes, be it tidying up or DIY or whatever.

Interesting concept. Where do I fit in, I have 2 jobs, do various things round the house including DIY ( guess that makes me unemployed )
and any spare time I have I'm doing a training course at home ( guess that makes me a student )
Old 07-11-2007, 21:48   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Interesting concept. Where do I fit in, I have 2 jobs, do various things round the house including DIY ( guess that makes me unemployed )
and any spare time I have I'm doing a training course at home ( guess that makes me a student )
You didnt answer what the best and worst thing is about what you do or what you study... then again neither have i... sooo...

I study law full time at lancaster uni. The best thing is that the cases that you have to study are really interesting, but on the negative side of it, theres loads of reading and its often really long and over the top out dated speech, so its tiring!
Currently have no job but looking for a cleaning one
Old 07-11-2007, 21:54   #6
God Member

I'm a student, and I also volunteer for a charity.
The good points of being a student for me are discussing and writing about what I'm really interested in academically; English Literature and Religious Studies. I like the environment and I also get along with the teachers. The main bad point is when monotony sets in, though I suppose that comes with most things from time to time.
With my volunteering job, I can't think of any bad points. I love doing actual hard manual work like lugging washing machines and antique bureaus up & down stairs or steaming clothes or tagging up, and I also like working on the shop floor. The fact that so many people are benefiting from the work the charity does humbles me & yeah, I love it.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 22:05   #7
God Member

I work in a sales office. I have been in this work for 10 years. I never meant to end up there, it just sort of happened but it's time to get out now.

I am looking to start a new career . Onwards and upwards.
Old 07-11-2007, 22:10   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I work in a sales office. I have been in this work for 10 years. I never meant to end up there, it just sort of happened but it's time to get out now.

I am looking to start a new career . Onwards and upwards.
What type of career do you think you will end up in next then? What is the worst and best thing about working in Sales in your experience?
Old 07-11-2007, 22:11   #9
Give, give, give member

Children's beauty pageant organiser, retired.

Do retired people not merit an option?

They make up a sizable proportion of the population.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 22:13   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

If retired people dont have jobs I guess that makes them unemployed. I had to be very broad with the terms, seen as there are only ten options and I did say in my original post that I cant fit anything in just put it into the catagory that it WAS if you are retired
Old 07-11-2007, 22:14   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

And what was the best and worst bit of the job? I dont really agree with child beauty pageants, but each to their own.
Old 07-11-2007, 22:16   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
And what was the best and worst bit of the job?
Also running a cosmetic company.

I made a killing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 22:16   #13

ive voted unemployed as im a housewife but i childmind my grandaughters while their mum goes to work.
Old 07-11-2007, 22:17   #14
God Member

Quote:
What type of career do you think you will end up in next then? What is the worst and best thing about working in Sales in your experience?

I want to do something rewarding and use my brain. I will be looking into working in education, I would like to work in a primary school.

Working in a sales office is very dull, repetitive and I'm in danger of developing office arse which means a large, spread out bum, which office workers are prone to due to the amount of time they spend sitting on it whilst at their desks lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 22:18   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firth_dawn View Post
ive voted unemployed as im a housewife but i childmind my grandaughters while their mum goes to work.
I'm guessing the worse bits is when sticky fingers get on your clothes. My brothers always getting his mucky hands on me lol.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..