Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2015, 19:18   #16

Re: Family history in Accrington

Descendants of John Hardacre.pdf
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2015, 07:28   #17
Junior Member+

Thank you Rob! I will have a look at that. Kind regards, Cheryl
CherylSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 07:31   #18
Junior Member+

THANK YOU Margaret R…and yes, I did see your link, but when I clicked through to go to OSSYGOBBIN'S site…where the BUSK map was supposed to be, it shows that site as no longer there. Do you know of anywhere else that I could find this map of Osssy that shows BUSK? Thanking you kindly for any time on this, regards, Cheryl
Old 14-04-2015, 07:33   #19
Junior Member+

Again, thank you SO MUCH Bob…I will email the library as you suggest. Kind regards, Cheryl
Old 14-04-2015, 07:37   #20
Junior Member+

Thank you RETLAW, I am overwhelmed by the kindness of people on this site offering info on the family members I am seeking. Your name in particular comes up as the person people regularly go to for help. Good on you for doing this and thanks again from Sydney, Australia! Regards, Cheryl
Old 14-04-2015, 07:46   #21
Junior Member+

You are a wonder, John! Thank you so much…yes, you have solved some of this mystery! It seems this ROBERT METCALF/E was Maria's brother-in-law she was staying with at the birth of her son JOHN JAMES HARDACRE (my great grandfather). And you have placed Robert Metcalf/e at Blackburn, is it? It is a bit confusing as sometimes this John James HARDACARE'S birth is listed in official records (such as the census) as being at CHURCH, then in another place as BLACKBURN…then on the actual birth certificate (that I had sent to me from the UK) it is listed as being a birth at BUSK, OSWALDTWISTLE. With your knowledge, could these places be seen as the same locale in some sense? Kind regards, Cheryl
Acstan likes this.
Old 14-04-2015, 08:12   #22
Senior Member+

As Church and Ossie are near to Blackburn - yes they could be. The census repeats what the head of household has told the enumerator, and cannot be relied upon as being 100% true.
CherylSyd likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:11   #23
Senior Member+

Ossy and Church are like your right arm and your left arm, Blackburn is a liitle lower and round the back, still close enough to scratch though.
CherylSyd likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 11:24   #24
Junior Member+

Thanks for that Bob, and it is good to hear you say that about the head of household telling the enumerator …because as I say I have three different locales mentioned for JOHN JAME'S birth! Also Bob, thank you for the tip to contact the Accrington Library, I got a very helpful and fast response from John Simpson there, who has sent me an 1848 map of Oswaldtwistle clearly showing BUSK (for anyone else who would like me to send them a copy) and helping me out with other information. Thank you again kindly for all your time and assistance with this, warm regards, Cheryl
Old 16-04-2015, 11:26   #25
Junior Member+

Thank you OSSY KID, and I love your analogy about Church and Ossy being the right and left arms and Blackburn being the scratchable, reachable, lower back Beautiful!!
Old 16-04-2015, 12:43   #26
Junior Member+

To anyone interested in the old BUSK area of Oswaldtwistle, I found a photo of BUSK (taken in the 1960s) on the web. It is here:
Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item

I then studied GOOGLE MAPS carefully to locate the exact position of this photo and I discovered this:

This photo of BUSK was taken from the corner of LORD ST and UNION ROAD.
The building on the far right, is the current CIVIC THEATRE BUILDING (I checked on the "street view" of Google Maps, you can clearly see the unusual corner edges of this building AND the unusual windows with the slight curving at the base of frames), and therefore this shot of BUSK is of homes that once stood in that now deserted area of land between Lord Street and Howarth Street.

I also now have a map image of the BUSK area, dating from 1848, should anyone need to see it.

I hope this helps some researchers, I am trying to return some info after all the wonderful help I have received from people on this site. Kind regards, Cheryl
Old 16-04-2015, 13:45   #27
Senior Member+

Look at the website of the Lancashire Family History Society. The home page has a turquoise block inviting you to click on to ask if any member5s are interested in the names /locations you type in.
CherylSyd likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..