Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2011, 09:53   #1

Family history in Accrington

I am researching my family who lived in Accrington and surrounding areas from around 1900 to possibly present day. The families were: Maden - Willie Horner Maden and his wife Minnie Rose (Monk) Maden. They had 6 daughters, Elsie Marion, Bessie, Joan, Shirley, Minnie Isabel, Olive Eugenie. The daughters married into the following families: Rawcliffe, Moore, Kelly, Laraway, Metcalfe, Britcliffe. Willie Horner Maden, was, I believe a butcher. The Madens lived in Avenue Parade, Accrington.
I am also researching the Cocker family. Robert Lang Cocker and his wife Mary Jane (Clayton) Cocker. They also lived in Avenue Parade, Accrington at the time of the 1901 census.
If anyone has any information about my family history (living relatives, only with their permission) I would be very happy to hear from them.
corblimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2011, 11:52   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Family history in Accrington

First posting from Corblimey - and what a good un to get our teeth into. It wuill be on page 2 in no time at all.

Does Sir William Cocker, industrialist and mayor,come into this family. If so, I have a contact.

Interesting that Robert Cocker had a Lang middle name. Possible connection with Lang Bridge.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 19:51   #3
Junior Member+

Hi...I'm also researching my family history in the Church Kirk area. The names I'm looking for are Chambers, that's mine!, in the Church area, Houldsworth in the Mellor area and Bradshaw; all around 1700 to 1850ish.
Although my father and graandfather were born in Rochdale, the relatives before that were from Church Kirk and Oswaldtwistle. They were living in a place called Broughton Barns, if anyone knows where that is, immediatly before moving toward Rochdale.
Any contacts or help would be appreciated.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 23:29   #4
Senior Member+

Miss Maden from Avenue Parade was one of the teachers at Peel Park School a while back.

Last edited by Atarah; 31-10-2011 at 23:32.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 23:41   #5
Senior Member+

Family history in Accrington

This board, on the wall of the present day Peel Park School, have Olive Maden's name on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PeelParkBoard-B.JPG (432.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 31-10-2011, 23:42   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Miss Maden from Avenue Parade was one of the teachers at Peel Park School a while back.
- think she was Bessie
Old 01-11-2011, 11:32   #7

It was Bessie Maden at Peel Park - she taught "the Scolarship Class" (and me - 1953 to 1954).
Her family were wholesale and retail butchers and owned the Cross Street Garage and Warner Street properties. I think they also had a property on Bridge Street which later became Garth Dawson's photgraphic studio.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:19   #8
Junior Member+

Hi there, does anyone have any knowledge of a ROBERT METCALFE who was recorded as living in BUSK, Oswaldtwistle in January 1855? The birth of my great, great grandfather, JOHN JAMES HARDACRE occurred in Busk, Oswaldtwistle (mother MARIA HARDACRE) at this time. The "occupier" of the residence on the birth certificate is listed as ROBERT METCALFE at Busk. My suspicions are that this place was temporarily rented as it it seems Maria was pregnant to a member of the aristocracy in Yorkshire and this Robert could have been an employee of this aristocrat who was sent with her to register the birth in another county. (Such a wonderful mystery! I am an author so all of this really stirs the creative juices!) Thank you to anyone who may have knowledge of this Robert…and could anyone tell me exactly where the BUSK area of Oswaldtwistle was in 1855. From my research it appears to be close to the Straits and Union Street, near Tinker Brook, and I do believe there is an old map showing it but I cannot trace this map online. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated … many thanks from Sydney, Australia. Cheryl
CherylSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 19:34   #9
Junior Member+

On the 1890's 25ins Ordnance Survey map of Oswaldtwistle there is a Busk Meadow Street between St Paul's Street and Haworth Street, opposite Hartley Street.
CherylSyd likes this.
Rob1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 20:09   #10
God Member

I found 'Busk'

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item

...as a result of this old thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ssy-48361.html
CherylSyd likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 21:28   #11
Senior Member+

Robert Metcalfe was known as 'Tar Bob' as he owned a factory distililng tar.In Chuirch I tjhi9nk. I haven't tiome top research it. I did some resewarcjh on him in connectiopn with the Grammar School Old Boys WW`1 war memorial. I think he married his
'housekeeper'and adopted her (Yorkshire) children. Can someone check in Mike Rothwell's 'Industrial Heritage of Church & Ossie' If not, I suggest that CherylSid asks Accrington library to do it : - [email protected] Address it FAO John Simpson. Message me if needs be in a week or so
CherylSyd likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 22:19   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Robert Metcalfe was known as 'Tar Bob' as he owned a factory distililng tar.In Chuirch I tjhi9nk. I haven't tiome top research it. I did some resewarcjh on him in connectiopn with the Grammar School Old Boys WW`1 war memorial. I think he married his
'housekeeper'and adopted her (Yorkshire) children. Can someone check in Mike Rothwell's 'Industrial Heritage of Church & Ossie' If not, I suggest that CherylSid asks Accrington library to do it : - [email protected] Address it FAO John Simpson. Message me if needs be in a week or so
All that is covered in Bill Turners book on the WWI Grannar School Memorial. His child by her was an Accy Pal K.I.A. Somme July 1st. Her eldest child, Tar Billy's stepson, is in the Granmar School registers as Metcalfe, thats a mistake. He was in the Navy, also died in WW1.
CherylSyd likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 21:30   #13
Full Member+

I don't know anything about these families but I do know that Miss Maden at Peel Park had umpteen rings which she could use to great effect on pupils backs if they were misbehaving and she was a brilliant shot with the blackboard cleaner.
CherylSyd likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 18:41   #14

Hello Cheryl
I had a look into the Hardacre family and working from the names you gave found that Maria's sister Nancy married a John Metcalf, 1846 in Settle.
1851 Nancy and John are in Giggleswick visiting Nancy's parents John and Sarah Hardacre then found they moved to Lancashire and lived at Over Darwen, Blackburn.
It's just a guess, have a look and see what you think.
John
CherylSyd likes this.
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 19:00   #15

Sorry it's Robert Metcalf not John Metcalf
CherylSyd likes this.
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..