Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2009, 22:12   #226

Re: holy family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc View Post
Still here........ for my sins
Do you remember Kathleen Sweeney.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2009, 16:21   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was at the Holy Family when it first open in August 59, The house names then were St. David, St. Andrew, St Goerge and St. Patrick I think. I was house Captain of St. David in 1962 my last year there, I stayed on until I was 16, the official leaving age in those days was 15
I went there in 1960 but i had 2 sisters who were there before me
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 16:23   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Mr Moore, was'nt it him who taught biology, a real sadist, Bob Almond, was metal work teacher, Terry Neville, still the greatest. others, Mr Noblet, Miss Doran, Music. Mrs Griffin, needlework. Can anyone remember arts or crafts teachers, I am talking 1960s here. Johnny Mare, Mr Swarbrick, Mr Bleasdale, Mullderick, Katie Boyle. I left in 1964.
mrs or miss not sure which Lyndoe
Old 28-03-2009, 18:18   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
Fr Houlahan was my favorite too he was very fair & at least he listened to you .........not like Fr Rimmer !!!
we used to go to st mary's ossy and fr O'Sullivan or fr O was awful
Old 29-03-2009, 18:09   #230
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
I went there in 1960 but i had 2 sisters who were there before me
I must know you and your sisters, the place only opened in August/Sept 1959
Old 10-05-2009, 15:29   #231

Iwas there 1962-1967. It was David, Patrick, Andrew and George,then and originaly Mr Bruynseels was headmaster, followed by Mr ('Johnny') Mayor, with Mr Cassidy as his deputy. We were more terrified of Mr Francis the Head Caretaker who must have been an RSM in the SAS!!! THe best teachers there in my time were Mr Swarbrick (Bill Brick), Mrs McDool, Mrs Ainsworth, Miss Doran (who became Mrs Barnes) and Mr Mulderrig ('Baldilocks') (who would often have one of his red curtains draped around him like the dying Caesar, when we walked into his class! lol.) Miss Sumner was extremely 'fit' (unlike Miss Boyle who terrified us only slightly less than Mrs Griffin) and idolised by most of the hormone-ridden lads in the school and Mrs Griffin used to scare the life out of everybody.... I understand from her daughter, that Mrs McDool sadly died a few years back.... R.I.P.
Ian McKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 10:25   #232
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McKinnon View Post
Iwas there 1962-1967. It was David, Patrick, Andrew and George,then and originaly Mr Bruynseels was headmaster, followed by Mr ('Johnny') Mayor, with Mr Cassidy as his deputy. We were more terrified of Mr Francis the Head Caretaker who must have been an RSM in the SAS!!! THe best teachers there in my time were Mr Swarbrick (Bill Brick), Mrs McDool, Mrs Ainsworth, Miss Doran (who became Mrs Barnes) and Mr Mulderrig ('Baldilocks') (who would often have one of his red curtains draped around him like the dying Caesar, when we walked into his class! lol.) Miss Sumner was extremely 'fit' (unlike Miss Boyle who terrified us only slightly less than Mrs Griffin) and idolised by most of the hormone-ridden lads in the school and Mrs Griffin used to scare the life out of everybody.... I understand from her daughter, that Mrs McDool sadly died a few years back.... R.I.P.
Miss Doran, or little miss dynamite as we called her, Katy Boyle if she spoke in the gym corridor you all listened, Dez Mulderrig was a tyrant didn't like the guy, in fact I opted out of History and took Geog instead, Denis Cassidy was my last form teacher was a really nice chap, Fred Smithies was m first form teacher, think he went on to be a teachers Union rep with the NUT Peter Bleasdale (sadly no longer with us) was a teacher at St Mary's Ossy before HF, Tony Hughes was Woodwork teacher and Bob Almond Metalwork, and not forgetting Terry Neville, boys sports master, was a goalie in the local leagues and a stumper in the Lancs league with, err ah can't remember, the good old days
Old 13-05-2009, 19:38   #233
Passed away 25-11-09

I remember Peter Bleasdale from St Mary's, pre-1954. He had just arrived at the school when I left for Paddock House.

I went on a trip abroad with the school, open to past pupils which by then I was, in 1955. I was just 12 years old.

Fred Vandome organised and ran the holiday and he was lovely but Mr Bleasdale was, as he had been in school, very "uptight" and unable to "let himself go". Such a shame as I only have memories of him scowling and looking harrassed.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:50   #234

What about Mr Noblet, Science teacher, now there was a nice guy, and the hippy Art teacher, cant remember her name. I agree Mr Bleasdale was a bit of a black dog type,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 10:12   #235
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I remember Peter Bleasdale from St Mary's, pre-1954. He had just arrived at the school when I left for Paddock House.

I went on a trip abroad with the school, open to past pupils which by then I was, in 1955. I was just 12 years old.

Fred Vandome organised and ran the holiday and he was lovely but Mr Bleasdale was, as he had been in school, very "uptight" and unable to "let himself go". Such a shame as I only have memories of him scowling and looking harrassed.
Which trip was that West Ender, weren't the one to Arnhem, staying at the youth camp called Debranding, like a holiday camp really, great big boating come swimming pool and a swimming pool with a wave machine
Old 14-05-2009, 10:16   #236
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What about Mr Noblet, Science teacher, now there was a nice guy, and the hippy Art teacher, cant remember her name. I agree Mr Bleasdale was a bit of a black dog type,
Nobby was a really nice bloke Alan, the hippy arts teacher was called Mrs Ainsworth,(I think) her class room was on the top floor of the Craft block, she was by form teacher for the first 3 months at HF 3B, but then I was transferred to 3A at Christmas
Old 15-05-2009, 09:40   #237

Yea that was her John I liked her, I think Miss Ashworth used to teach art as well.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 21:03   #238
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Which trip was that West Ender, weren't the one to Arnhem, staying at the youth camp called Debranding, like a holiday camp really, great big boating come swimming pool and a swimming pool with a wave machine

No, we went to Blankenberg, a seaside resort in Belgium, then Brussels and on to Luxembourg. From there we had coach trips to Germany, France and Holland, back to Blankenberg after 7 days, then home. It was the first trip they did and, as I said, it was in 1955.
Old 15-05-2009, 21:05   #239
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
What about Mr Noblet, Science teacher, now there was a nice guy,

Do you know his first name? Was it Stephen?
Old 20-06-2010, 19:31   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGS4SHORT View Post
I was there from 1975 to 1980 and can still remember the register for my form, how sad is that!! Rigby, by the way and form tutor was Miss Foster
i was at holy family and i was in rigby i remember mr rigby and mr casady who was the head teacher
majorettemum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..