Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2008, 14:24   #166

Re: holy family

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
I went to St Oswalds '59 and then on to Paddock, left in '69

Holy Family was still at St Oswalds when I started, there was a wall and a metal gate separating the big school from the little school. Not long after I started they moved to the new school.
Teachers I remember at St Oswalds Miss birch my very first teacher. Miss Gardiner Head teacher.
every Friday we were marched to Sacred Heart church for benediction. Every Monday Father Stack ( I Think ) would come and grill us if we had been to church on the Sunday.
At Paddock the houses were
Augustine, Moore, Campion and Fisher Head teacher Sister Mary Magdalene
Rhyddings always took the mickey out of us due to the uniform.
the dog biscuit factory used to stink in the summer
Looking back they were happy days
I was at St Oswalds from 1961, and Paddock from 1967, I was an 'x'. Miss Birch was my first teacher too. She was a holy terror, if ever a woman should not have been around small children this was her. My mother once went to see her and gave her hell after she told my brother that God didn't love him 'cos he was naughty. After she retired she lived in the Spring Hill area, and was a friend of my aunt (who agreed with me about the small children!!) Miss Gardener was a great headteacher. I remember walking to Sacred Heart on a Friday for Benediction, and also the interrogation by Father Stack on a Monday. Do you remember Father Houlahan? He used to play football on Lower Antley St with the lads that lived nearby, he was a lovely man. I believe that he was at a parish in Manchester about 5 years ago. I wonder if he's still alive.

You are right about Stirling Dog Foods, it smelled foul winter and summer. We used to go in the public loo's on the end of Moscow Mill St for a crafty ciggie at dinner times, also to the stream down the side of the school.
Happy days.
PatSmith likes this.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2008, 07:05   #167

Holy terror! never heard her called that before, but can remember lots of other unprintable ones.
Old 19-05-2008, 16:27   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
I was at St Oswalds from 1961, and Paddock from 1967, I was an 'x'. Miss Birch was my first teacher too. She was a holy terror, if ever a woman should not have been around small children this was her. My mother once went to see her and gave her hell after she told my brother that God didn't love him 'cos he was naughty. After she retired she lived in the Spring Hill area, and was a friend of my aunt (who agreed with me about the small children!!) Miss Gardener was a great headteacher. I remember walking to Sacred Heart on a Friday for Benediction, and also the interrogation by Father Stack on a Monday. Do you remember Father Houlahan? He used to play football on Lower Antley St with the lads that lived nearby, he was a lovely man. I believe that he was at a parish in Manchester about 5 years ago. I wonder if he's still alive.

You are right about Stirling Dog Foods, it smelled foul winter and summer. We used to go in the public loo's on the end of Moscow Mill St for a crafty ciggie at dinner times, also to the stream down the side of the school.
Happy days.
I was at Sacred Hart late 60 remember Father Houlahan but not Stacks The one to dread then was Father Dwyer
Old 21-05-2008, 07:07   #169

Later to become Dean Stacks
Old 21-05-2008, 22:32   #170
mez
God Member

does anyone remember FATHER. Rimmer, i had a few run ins with him.
Old 21-05-2008, 22:38   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
I remember him he was a bit scary But Dean Stack was a softie under all that bluff, his bark was worse than his bite
Old 21-05-2008, 22:40   #172
mez
God Member

yea dean stack was a pussycat compared to him .....
Old 22-05-2008, 13:51   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
knew him well, was at St.Josephs with Father Henderson in the early 70s, ask me at the meet mez if ya remember, got a funny tale about him, top geezer in my book.
Old 24-05-2008, 00:47   #174

Did'nt know you were RC, Mr C.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 00:51   #175
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Did'nt know you were RC, Mr C.
ya do now Al was married in st Josephs by Father Rimmer.
Old 24-05-2008, 01:39   #176
God Member

Anybody remember Fr. Houlahan(might be spelt wrong)? He was a lovely man, used to come and give Dad communion at home because he couldn't get to church. Of all the priests I can remember he must be my favourite.
Old 01-07-2008, 19:07   #177

I remember them all being a ex alterboy at st heart in the late 60s.
Old 24-07-2008, 07:41   #178

My brother sent me a clipping from the Observer, of the latest Holy Family reunion, can any one identify the people on there, I can still recognise Katie Boyle the girls PE teacher and Terry Neville, & Dennis Cassidy , is Franny Franks on there as well. but none of the others.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 08:02   #179
mez
God Member

Fr Houlahan was my favorite too he was very fair & at least he listened to you .........not like Fr Rimmer !!!
Old 24-07-2008, 10:15   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
My brother sent me a clipping from the Observer, of the latest Holy Family reunion, can any one identify the people on there, I can still recognise Katie Boyle the girls PE teacher and Terry Neville, & Dennis Cassidy , is Franny Franks on there as well. but none of the others.
I was in the same class as Franny, Alan, Denis Cassidy was our form teacher when the school first opened

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..