Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2007, 09:11   #151

Re: holy family

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonuser View Post
Lots of good memories! I was there from 76-81 in Arrowsmith, madame Metcalf was my form teacher. I can't remember all the houses I remember Rigby and Clitheroe but what were the others? I had Mr Mulligan for english the first two years I was there. I had Mr sanderson for math- he was always telling us jokes very little math was taught. I was thrown out of mr Parfitts french class and told to go do art with Miss/Mrs Snape-she was a great Art teacher. Who was the other art teacher who was really serious about Art and would grade you really severly- I don't think Piccaso would get a grade higher than a D. Do any of you remember Mr obrien or obby general science teacher? And Mr Mc Keown was the biology teacher. I cant remember what the woodwork teacher was called or the physics teacher.
You will have been at school the same time as me......I was in arrowsmith too. I can picture the art teachers name but i cant remember his name. I met obby about two years ago, he was a teacher at St Augustines near Whalley. Miss Hall is still alive and kicking and met her not long back. I remember Mr Mc Kewan also. Mr Bold was the physics teacher, and do you remember Benny Hill the lab technician ? By the way I'm Paul Harling.
harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2007, 09:16   #152
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonuser View Post
I can't remember all the houses I remember Rigby and Clitheroe but what were the others?
I went to Mount Carmel 2000-2005 and the houses were Arrowsmith, Clitheroe, Hurst, Rigby and Southworth.
Don't know if they were the same for Holy Family?
They have actually made a new house now; Ward, simply because there's too many pupils for the other forms.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 11:50   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin View Post
You will have been at school the same time as me......I was in arrowsmith too. I can picture the art teachers name but i cant remember his name. I met obby about two years ago, he was a teacher at St Augustines near Whalley. Miss Hall is still alive and kicking and met her not long back. I remember Mr Mc Kewan also. Mr Bold was the physics teacher, and do you remember Benny Hill the lab technician ? By the way I'm Paul Harling.
Just remembered who the art teacher was...........Mr Rushton.
harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 17:35   #154
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Don't know if they were the same for Holy Family?
They have actually made a new house now; Ward
Yep they were the same including Ward my form when I was there 80s.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 19:59   #155
God Member

The names of the houses were the same in the seventies when I was there
Old 25-01-2008, 06:48   #156

Yep they were the same but no ward.
Old 25-01-2008, 16:41   #157
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Yep they were the same but no ward.
If I remember correctly Ward used to be Fisher.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 14:29   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie J View Post
My cousins went to Holy Family, Christine Angela Susan & John Toohy. Susan married Frank White also from HF sadly it didn't last.
Frank White thats my brother!! Sisters Julie White Carol and baby David.
Darwenred1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 10:26   #159
Resting in Peace

I was at the Holy Family when it first open in August 59, The house names then were St. David, St. Andrew, St Goerge and St. Patrick I think. I was house Captain of St. David in 1962 my last year there, I stayed on until I was 16, the official leaving age in those days was 15

Last edited by jaysay; 29-01-2008 at 10:27. Reason: repeat statement
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 19:59   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman View Post
d. cassidy headmaster..............mr macalooney..........mulderick....flynn...mr bentley ....john lowe.....mrs ainsworth ....miss bond....miss almond??...what was that maths teacher called who could swing a cane?
Bob Almond, I felt it!!
steamer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 14:29   #161
Junior Member+

Form Names

Arrowsmith, Campion, Southworth, Fisher, Hurst, with the following colours
repectively, White, yellow, blue, green, purple.

I think there was an orange somewhere but can't remember the name.

Each year they used to change the order around so that 1 year Arrowsmith were the brightest and Fisher the thickos, then the next year it would be a different order.

Does anyone remember this or is it just me

Last edited by Stuart; 07-02-2008 at 14:31. Reason: spelling mistake
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:38   #162
God Member

Re: Form Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Arrowsmith, Campion, Southworth, Fisher, Hurst, with the following colours
repectively, White, yellow, blue, green, purple.

I think there was an orange somewhere but can't remember the name.

Each year they used to change the order around so that 1 year Arrowsmith were the brightest and Fisher the thickos, then the next year it would be a different order.

Does anyone remember this or is it just me
I was in Rigby, cant remember the names of all the forms, though we didnt have colours. My year 11 personal tutor was fred bentley, and I left in 2005. Fred Bentley left not long after.

Of course, its mount carmel now not Holy family
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 08:17   #163
Junior Member+

I went to St Oswalds '59 and then on to Paddock, left in '69

Holy Family was still at St Oswalds when I started, there was a wall and a metal gate separating the big school from the little school. Not long after I started they moved to the new school.
Teachers I remember at St Oswalds Miss birch my very first teacher. Miss Gardiner Head teacher.
every Friday we were marched to Sacred Heart church for benediction. Every Monday Father Stack ( I Think ) would come and grill us if we had been to church on the Sunday.
At Paddock the houses were
Augustine, Moore, Campion and Fisher Head teacher Sister Mary Magdalene
Rhyddings always took the mickey out of us due to the uniform.
the dog biscuit factory used to stink in the summer
Looking back they were happy days
motherhubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 11:10   #164
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
I went to St Oswalds '59 and then on to Paddock, left in '69

Holy Family was still at St Oswalds when I started, there was a wall and a metal gate separating the big school from the little school. Not long after I started they moved to the new school.
Teachers I remember at St Oswalds Miss birch my very first teacher. Miss Gardiner Head teacher.
every Friday we were marched to Sacred Heart church for benediction. Every Monday Father Stack ( I Think ) would come and grill us if we had been to church on the Sunday.
At Paddock the houses were
Augustine, Moore, Campion and Fisher Head teacher Sister Mary Magdalene
Rhyddings always took the mickey out of us due to the uniform.
the dog biscuit factory used to stink in the summer
Looking back they were happy days
A bit to upmarket for us at the Holy Farm as we called it back then, Father Stack came to HF as well he was school chaplin

Last edited by jaysay; 16-03-2008 at 11:11. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 06:32   #165

Holy Family Re-union do again - Fri 30th May - Bridge Inn Church, 7.30 onwards

Lets see how many of me old class of 71/72 turn up agsin - lots at last 2 meets

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..